Robert8

Harry Potter 2019 - Rumors & discussion

3 hours ago, CT-5503 said:

Just an off topic tangent, but I was wondering how everyone would rank this year's HP sets now that they've all been released.

1. Clock Tower. Love the exterior, interior and the unique minifigs.

2. Hungarian Horntail. Yes it looks like a bird but I'm a sucker for poseability.

3. Hagrid's Hut. My first one ever and what a terrific revamp.

4. Expecto Patronum. Honestly I feel like the horntail, hut and this one are at the same level for me. 

5. Beauxbatons carriage. As others said, odd choice for a set but a welcome surprise just like the yule ball although I would've preferred more PoA or a 2nd task set.

6. Rise of Voldy. Awesome minifigs, but the set itself just doesn't do it for me. GLAD I have the previous one ??

7 & 8. Knight bus and Advent Calendar, since I don't know the contents of the latter they're as equally unappealing to me at the moment. 

All in all, these new waves kick kardashian butt. They're giving us new characters, plus several minifigs in just one set. So many that we went from having zero Fleurs to 3 variants in one year! That, plus the details of the sets. Take my money already!

PS: I wouldn't mind getting a 2nd task set still ?

Edited by Otherworld

1) Hagrids Hut: Been waiting like 15 years for a new Buckbeak mold! he figs are great and it's such a step up from the old hut. Only downside is no Fang.

2) Clocktower: Bet it will look really nice attached to the Great Hall. Figs are great, too.

3) Expecto Patronum: Probably the best $20 set Lego has ever made. 

4) Carriage: The figs and build are great! 4 Exclusive figs + 2 winged horses is a great deal. 

5) Knight Bus. I love the new look and the side opening is awesome! Love the little bed you can slide figs into. The exclusion of the Grimm, like Fang, is glaring to me. 

6) Graveyard: Very cool, just not quite as cool. Glad they made it though. Wormtail needed different hair

7) Advent Calendar: This actually looks quite good compared to most calendars. Interested to see that mystery founder statue fig :oh:

8) Hungarian Horntail: Awful builds. Figs are the only redeeming quality. Feel bad for people who don't have the original horntail. A strange dip in quality compared to the rest of the wave. 

Edited by Ultron
Forgot the Knight Bus!

Well since we’re doing our personal set rankings...

1) The Clocktower - the unique minifigures are more than I could ever imagine us getting in a set, and more importantly the build looks fun. All the Harry Potter sets are day one buys for me (whenever day one might happen in the US) but when I’m finally sitting down to start building this will definitely be the box I open first. 

2) Hagrid’s Hut - I have 2 out of 3 of the old versions, and both 2004 sets that included the old Buckbeak, so believe me when I say this blows them out of the water. Plus a solid minifigure lineup to round out the set. 

3) Beuxbatons Carriage - I think I’ve already said that I’ve been wanting this set ever since they didn’t make it the last time around. The great minifigure selection is just icing on the cake. Comes in just behind Hagrid’s Hut because the build looks simpler and even 2 Abraxans < Buckbeak. 

4) Expecto Patronum - That stag patronus, need I say more? Also comparing the new Sirius to the old 2004 version makes me weep with joy - we are truly blessed. 

5) First Task - Really wish I could put this higher, because I love dragons as much as Charlie Weasley, but the disproportionate legs just look off. That being said, it still looks like a fun build and I like the fact that they include all four champions. 

6) Knight Bus - This could go either way with the Horntail honestly. There’s not much new to do with a set so simple that’s been done twice before, but I ended up impressed that Lego did manage to improve on previous offerings. The side opening access is really great and vastly increases playability compared to previous models. 

7) Rise of Voldemort (aka the Graveyard) - the subject matter is just meh for me. The build does look like it has some interesting secrets, but ultimately just feels like an excuse to give us certain minifigures. My interest might be piqued if we get visual confirmation that Babymort is included. 

I’m not going to try and rank the advent calendar compared to the sets, because we pretty much know all we’re getting with each set, but we only know a fraction of the calendar. Not to mention a fully formed set is different from a series of mini builds anyway. Lego should be putting up a very spoiler-y image of all the advent calendars’ complete contents when they put them up on thier website, but I’m going to try and be good and only let myself be spoiled by what I already know from the description and box art. I want to enjoy the surprises every day in December :). It’s a fantastic year for Harry Potter Lego all around!

I actually like how lego ''spoils'' what we're getting in the advent calendars, why would you buy a set (and a pretty expensive one at that) if you don't know what's inside?

Just now, Guyon2002 said:

I actually like how lego ''spoils'' what we're getting in the advent calendars, why would you buy a set (and a pretty expensive one at that) if you don't know what's inside?

True enough, and I definitely looked over the contents of the City calendar before I bought it last year. I’d also consider checking beforehand essential before buying one for a kid. But since I know that a Harry Potter calendar is a must buy for me no matter what, I figure it will be fun to go into this year relatively blind just for the thrills. 

9 minutes ago, Scarlet_Patronus said:

Are there rumours of a Wizarding World D2C this year, or is that just wishful thinking? :wink:

We already know about all of the D2C's for 2019, Wizarding World is not one of them

I'm still in two minds about the Hungarian Horntail set. The big disappointment is obviously the Dragon, the minifigs and scenery are fine and its a good price. The 2005 dragon was appalling too, but hopefully a brickbuilt head, making the body and legs a better size and using the old tail pieces might help. Will have to look at alternative wings too, possibly.

From all the set images and descriptions, I think we know pretty much what will come in most of the advent calendar days. 

Dont read if you don’t want it spoiled

1-7 : Harry, Hermione, Ron, Dumbledore, Mcgonnagal, flitwick, Hogwarts architect.

8: big tree

9: two small trees

10: presents 

11: fireplace

12: table

13: food 

14: Hogwarts express

15: house crests pedestal 

16: gryffindor banner

17-24: ?????

i hope we get some more micro builds to go with the D2C; quidditch pitch, micro knight bus, micro durstrang ship, micro ironbelly dragon to go with the Diagon Alley etc. What do you think??

1) Clock Tower, I just love we're finally getting accurate parts of the Hogwarts Castle that can connect. + Great Figures

2) Hagrid's Hut, always loved the hut, it looks so comfy and it's screen accurate now + new buckbeak

3) Beauxbaton Carriage, I love the figures + I love colourful builds

4) Graveyard, Great figures, especially the death eater, build looks alright if you combine it with hidden side

5) Expecto Patronum, Army building + Sirius

6) Advent Calendar (only if it includes a dress for McGonagall and movie 1/2 Flitwick, otherwise it will come last

7) Knight Bus, the old knight bus set is just very nostalgic to me+ great figures. But it's not important enough to be high on my list

8) First Task, I like the figures, but the dragon just won't work for me

Edited by Huigberts Builds
Forgot 2 words

1 hour ago, GilbertoAguilera101 said:

From all the set images and descriptions, I think we know pretty much what will come in most of the advent calendar days. 

1-7 : Harry, Hermione, Ron, Dumbledore, Mcgonnagal, flitwick, Hogwarts architect.

i hope we get some more micro builds to go with the D2C; quidditch pitch, micro knight bus, micro durstrang ship, micro ironbelly dragon to go with the Diagon Alley etc. What do you think??

I think it’s possible that there are 2 days worth of food (that turkey is pretty huge). And while we do know all the minifigures by name, there are 3 we haven’t seen yet (I’m looking forward to Flitwick).

I’m definitely looking forward to adding to my micro scale set up as well (a tiny Gringott’s dragon? Yes please) and given how the husky dog makes regular appearances in the City calendar, I think there’s a decent chance of getting Hedwig as well, even if she isn’t on the box art (she is a snowy owl after all). 

2 hours ago, GilbertoAguilera101 said:

I hope we get some micro builds to go with Hogwarts but we definitely aren’t getting all the minifigures in the first seven days. That’s not how advent calendars work. They spread the figures out. 

My ranking would be: 

1) Clock Tower 

2) Hagrid’s Hut

3) Beauxbatons Carriage 

4) The Rise of Voldemort 

5) Expecto Patronum

6) Triwizard Challenge

7) Knight Bus

My ranking:

1) The Knight Bus

2) The Clock Tower

3) Expecto Patronum

4) Hagrid’s Hut

5) The Rise of Voldemort

6) Beauxbatons Carriage

7) The First Task

Here’s my ranking:

1. Hagrid’s Hut

2. Clock Tower

3. The Rise of Voldemort

4. Expecto Patronum

5. Beauxbaton’s Carriage

6. First Task

7. Knight Bus

1) Clock Tower

2) Expecto Patronum

3) Rise of Voldermort

4) Hagrid's Hut

5) Beauxbaton's Carriage

6) First Task

7) Knight Bus

Don’t get all the hate for the knight bus, it’s the most accurate one yet, good price, good minifigs, what’s not to love?

12 minutes ago, Whovastron said:

Don’t get all the hate for the knight bus, it’s the most accurate one yet, good price, good minifigs, what’s not to love?

I like it, but at the end of the day it's just a bus. Nothing as unique as the other HP sets. 

18 minutes ago, Whovastron said:

I don't think it's hate at all, but rather lack of interest. I personally think it's very sleek and accurate like never before, but I see no fun in the vehicle itself. Perhaps if it had a feature that made it contract and expand it would call my attention, but that's asking for the moon and the stars. Either way I don't discard the possibility of getting it but I will get it last.

Edited by Otherworld

31 minutes ago, Whovastron said:

I don’t think it’s hate so much as so that so many of the other sets are really spectacular. Yes this is clearly the best version of the Knight Bus yet, but we’ve never gotten a patronus or a Yule Ball scene before and Hagrid’s Hut is so much better too. The Knight Bus just so happens to be a set with limited scope in a wave where the designers really cut loose with all the others. 

I don't think I could do a definitive ranking, but I can at least group them into broad categories:

Definitely buying: The Knight Bus, Hogwarts Clock Tower, Advent Calendar

On the fence about buying myself, but would probably put on my birthday and/or Christmas list: Hungarian Horntail, Hagrid's Hut, Beauxbatons' Carriage

Won't bother with, but also wouldn't turn down if someone got for me as a gift: The Rise of Voldemort, Expecto Patronum

30 minutes ago, Accio Lego said:

I don’t think it’s hate so much as so that so many of the other sets are really spectacular. Yes this is clearly the best version of the Knight Bus yet, but we’ve never gotten a patronus or a Yule Ball scene before and Hagrid’s Hut is so much better too. The Knight Bus just so happens to be a set with limited scope in a wave where the designers really cut loose with all the others. 

55 minutes ago, Otherworld said:

I don't think it's hate at all, but rather lack of interest. I personally think it's very sleek and accurate like never before, but I see no fun in the vehicle itself. Perhaps if it had a feature that made it contract and expand it would call my attention, but that's asking for the moon and the stars. Either way I don't discard the possibility of getting it but I will get it last.

57 minutes ago, CT-5503 said:

I like it, but at the end of the day it's just a bus. Nothing as unique as the other HP sets. 

Fair enough, I think it might just be my huge amount of nostalgia for that original set, probably my most played with Lego set from when I was younger 

What the heck, I'll join in. It's interesting to see how many of us are aligned when it comes to the top 2, but then start to split as we get into the cheaper sets.

It's very hard for me to rank ALL the sets because I'm torn between ranking them based on what I see as an objective design standpoint rather than on what is actually most desirable for me to buy. With the Knight Bus for instance - objectively it looks like a great set and design, but I just don't want it, just like the Hogwarts Express from last year. Ultimately I'll try to fuse what I actually want to buy with objective design thoughts.

1. Clock Tower

2. Hagrid's Hut

3. Beauxbaton Carriage (just such an attractive set with great exclusive figures)

4. Graveyard (the design is crap but the figures are great)

5. Patronus (though objectively better than the Graveyard, the only thing I truly want is the Sirius since I don't care for the static Stag, still like the old Dementors better, and will have the Harry from the HH)

6. Knight Bus (good set, just don't want)

7. Advent Calendar (a few exclusive torsos and that's probably it)

8. Horntail (everything about this one's desogn sucks IMO, and the figures are only interesting if you're a completionist or happen to love GoF)

Here's my ranking, late but hopefully still not irrelevant.

1. Hagrid's Hut
Brilliant design, good/great figures.  The only real disappointment to me is the reuse of last year's Hagrid figure.  Ron and Hermione have inaccurate faces and hair pieces, but I actually like the variety since I don't have the sets from other themes that they originally appeared in.

2. Hogwarts Clock Tower
Good design; interior is hugely improved from 2004, but I find the exterior slightly disappointing due to lack of a pendulum and large main doors.  The value seems good, and I just love building Hogwarts add-ons.  This set actually has more pieces than the Great Hall set, despite costing $10 less in the US.  

3. Expecto Patronum 
I agree with Clone OPatra that the 2010-era Dementors were better.  (Though oddly enough, I turned the hands sideways on the new figure, and I think it looks more convincing.  It somehow made the minifigure torso feel more ethereal and grasping.  It doesn't even count as a MOD, but I thought I'd mention it).  The new Sirius figure is great, and I actually love the Stag (trans-white with sparkles would have been better, I suppose), and the trees are quite well-designed.

4. Advent Calendar
This set ranks so high mostly because I'm just thrilled that we're getting it at all.  I suspect this will be a tradition for years to come.  :classic:  I also appreciate that it makes Dumbledore and McGonagall available to piece who can't or prefer not to buy the Great Hall set.  Meanwhile, I'm very eager to see the new Hogwarts Architect Statue, not to mention Flitwick and the trio.
5. Beauxbatons Carriage
To be honest, I don't like the source material for this set at all.  That said, the set is beautifully designed, with lots of rare pieces and exclusive figures.  Not to mention horses for Legolas and Gandalf once the Triwizard Tournament is over.  :wink:

6. Knight Bus
This set seems technically very good, it's just hard for me to get too excited about it compared to the more medieval/fantasy aspects of Harry Potter.  No Padfoot=:thumbdown:

7. Rise of Voldemort
Well, four (five, if you count the Angel of Death) exclusive minifigures is hard to argue with, but the build is sad.  No doubt there's some play function we can't yet quite see, but it's hard to believe the original Graveyard Duel set was only $10 more for almost 400 more pieces.  Granted, the old set was ludicrously cheap even for 2005, and I think the new price point makes far more sense for a set that's mainly character-driven, but somehow it still seems like not a great set.  The Deathly Hallows sticker is genius, especially because Tom Riddle's ancestor (would that be Cadmus Peverell?) was one of the original owners of the Hallows, and could have possibly been buried in the Little Hangleton graveyard.  That's a stretch, I know, but it's the way I'll interpret it.  
This set mainly ranks so low because Peter Pettigrew's figure and the KKK Death Eater leave a gross taste in my mouth.  I know they're kind of supposed to, but I honestly feel like both could have been better designed.

Which leaves...."The Horntail" :wink:

Edited by RogueTwo

Well if everyone is doing it I might as well join in!

1. Clocktower - just all around amazing set, good build and fun figures

2. Hagrid's Hut - amazing build, Buckbeak is gold. Only bad thing about the set is the price

3. Beauxbatons Carriage - a fun and interesting design, figures are amazing (new Hagrid, yay!)

4. Graveyard - the build (minus Tom Riddle Sr.'s grave) is pretty crappy but the figures are great

5. Expecto Patronum - build isn't too interesting, same for the figures but Sirius Black alone is enough for me to place this set a little higher than I normally would

6. Triwizard task - the tent is way too small and the dragon a bit inaccurate but the figures (and a good discount) will make up for it

7. Knight Bus - it looks great but I'm just not interested in it

8. Advent Calendar - can't really judge it without any good pictures of what we're getting