Robert8

Harry Potter 2019 - Rumors & discussion

Im hearing rumours of a baby voldermort being included in the graveyard, this cant be true because itd be on the box surely...

I honestly don’t get people saying that Harry Potter doesn’t have any staying power beyond the 5-6 and 7-8 waves. I mean, Lego has been skimming over certain things on purpose you know. 

Just think - last wave we were noticeably missing:

- Troll attack

- Forbidden Corridor 

- Chamber of Secrets 

- anything to do with the polyjuice scene 

This wave we’re missing:

- Shrieking Shack

- Werewolf Lupin

- Drumstrang Ship

- the Second Task

And that’s not even counting the Burrow, Privet Drive, Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade, all of which feature in the later movies and could appear in the next two waves, but also might be skimmed over as well. It’s hard to say what we’ll see next year, but movies 5 and 6 each included thier own configuration of the Room of Requirement, and since we’ve only been seeing one large castle set per wave it’s likely either the Room of Hidden things or DA HQ will be skimmed over as well.

My point is, Lego has given themselves plenty to work with if Harry Potter continues to sell well beyond the first four years, and if it continues to sell well beyond filling in those gaps - well by then the Great Hall and Hogwarts Express will have been off shelves more than long enough for people to want new versions. 

2 hours ago, tafkatb said:

and if it's still doing really well, perhaps another D2C and/or Minifigure series.

Bold of you to assume that another CMF isn’t already in the works. I suspect we might see one as early as next year. After all, with the notable exception of Luna, all the Harry Potter figures in the first series were based off movies 1-4. It wouldn’t surprise me in the least if a series based mostly off movies 5-8 came out with the 5-6 sets, just like the first series came out with the 1-2 sets. 

3 hours ago, Accio Lego said:

Bold of you to assume that another CMF isn’t already in the works.

I'd say it's guaranteed another series is in the works, it's just a matter of if and when they will go into production and hit shelves. I mean, I want this theme to become evergreen as much as anyone else here, but I also try to take the realities of the production process into account.

The Beauxbatons Carriage is a huge surprise but it's clearly an attempt to get more girls into the line, right down to the tea sets. 

I'm sure this line will continue until 2021, beyond that who knows. They're taking time to get the third FB film right, and I'm guessing that will be a relaunch for the franchise. I think next year we'll get the astronomy tower, containing offices for Umbridge and Slugwort. The year after I could see them doing a room of requirement, a forbidden corridor and a big Chamber of Secrets set. I could also see a D2C Diagon Alley and two sets of Minifigures in it to show the passage of time - just as the Millenium Falcon had figures from different films so a D2C Diagon Alley could have figures from Philosophers Stone and the Gringotts raid in Deathly Hallows.

Anyway it's fun to speculate but my most wanted set would t be any of these - it would be a polybag with Hagrid, his motorbike and baby Harry.

1 hour ago, tafkatb said:

I'd say it's guaranteed another series is in the works, it's just a matter of if and when they will go into production and hit shelves. I mean, I want this theme to become evergreen as much as anyone else here, but I also try to take the realities of the production process into account.

I think we’ll get series 2 next year. There was a year between the batman series, and I think the same with the simpsons. It’s only been Disney with the gap

24 minutes ago, Chocolate Frog said:

The Beauxbatons Carriage is a huge surprise but it's clearly an attempt to get more girls into the line, right down to the tea sets. 

No offense but Lego hardly needs to ‘attempt’ to get more girls into Harry Potter - it’s always had a really strong female fan base. If Lego thinks they need to give us ‘girly’ sets to get us interested they’re barking up the wrong tree. Although speaking as a woman who’s been collecting the line since they first came out, there’d definitely be some excitement if Lego actually started giving us more of our favorite characters - finally getting Fleur and Maxime is amazing, and I can only hope they follow it up by giving us Tonks next year. 

5 minutes ago, Accio Lego said:

No offense but Lego hardly needs to ‘attempt’ to get more girls into Harry Potter - it’s always had a really strong female fan base. If Lego thinks they need to give us ‘girly’ sets to get us interested they’re barking up the wrong tree. Although speaking as a woman who’s been collecting the line since they first came out, there’d definitely be some excitement if Lego actually started giving us more of our favorite characters - finally getting Fleur and Maxime is amazing, and I can only hope they follow it up by giving us Tonks next year. 

I hear you, I’m a man and I would melt if we got Tonks. She and Kingsley are MUST HAVES. And honestly, Madame Maxime and Fleur in her Beauxbatons uniform were two of the figures I wanted most in this relaunch

7 hours ago, Accio Lego said:

I honestly don’t get people saying that Harry Potter doesn’t have any staying power beyond the 5-6 and 7-8 waves. I mean, Lego has been skimming over certain things on purpose you know. 

Just think - last wave we were noticeably missing:

- Troll attack

- Forbidden Corridor 

- Chamber of Secrets 

- anything to do with the polyjuice scene 

This wave we’re missing:

- Shrieking Shack

- Werewolf Lupin

- Drumstrang Ship

- the Second Task

And that’s not even counting the Burrow, Privet Drive, Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade, all of which feature in the later movies and could appear in the next two waves, but also might be skimmed over as well. It’s hard to say what we’ll see next year, but movies 5 and 6 each included thier own configuration of the Room of Requirement, and since we’ve only been seeing one large castle set per wave it’s likely either the Room of Hidden things or DA HQ will be skimmed over as well.

My point is, Lego has given themselves plenty to work with if Harry Potter continues to sell well beyond the first four years, and if it continues to sell well beyond filling in those gaps - well by then the Great Hall and Hogwarts Express will have been off shelves more than long enough for people to want new versions. 

Bold of you to assume that another CMF isn’t already in the works. I suspect we might see one as early as next year. After all, with the notable exception of Luna, all the Harry Potter figures in the first series were based off movies 1-4. It wouldn’t surprise me in the least if a series based mostly off movies 5-8 came out with the 5-6 sets, just like the first series came out with the 1-2 sets. 

And the other thing is, with a 4 year cycle, they'll need to do rereleases every once in a while, especially of popular sets. So 5 years down the road, I wouldn't be surprised if they were to do another quidditch set or Hungarian Horntail. Just think about Star Wars, for example, which always has an X Wing, or a TIE on the market. Or maybe a better example would be the Kashyyk sets that were released this year. Very similar to 2014 sets, but with a few variations. Mostly for people who missed out on the sets when they came out the first time, such as younger kids who couldn't build such advanced sets at that point in their lives. So yeah...

TLDR, I think this line has staying power.

11 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

Yeah I don’t think this theme is going anywhere soon and I really hope I’m right because there is soooooo much more they could do when you really stop to think about it. I’ve been mapping out possible HP sets for years, there’s plenty to keep the theme going. Plus, TLG isn’t going to give up the theme as long as it’s making money

SAME! I do it for loads of themes like LOTR and Indiana Jones and HP, MCU, Batman etc- 

Does anyone have a link to what someone from LEGO said about wanting this theme to be evergreen? Or was it just a supposition/rumour? (note: I'm aware of the posts commenting about the sales and all that)

If this theme is soon to go back to the grave, I feel obliged to get every single one of them. However if this will be like SW I don't see myself drowning in lego pieces, just picking up my favorites.

To be honest the 2010-2011 sets weren't that appealing to me, but this time around the color schemes, details and minifigures are everything a lego fan could hope for. 

Edited by Otherworld

23 minutes ago, CT-5503 said:

Very

5 minutes ago, Otherworld said:

Does anyone have a link to what someone from LEGO said about wanting this theme to be evergreen? Or was it just a supposition/rumour? 

If this theme is soon to go back to the grave, I feel obliged to get every single one of them. However if this will be like SW I don't see myself drowning in lego pieces, just picking up my favorites.

To be honest the 2010-2011 sets weren't that appealing to me, but this time around the color schemes, details and minifigures are everything a lego fan could hope for. 

I don’t have a link but it was an interview from before or just as the 2018 line launched, I remember it was a German interviewer, and the Lego designer seemed to be British idk if that helps when searching for it 

15 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

Wow, the Carriage is quite a surprise for many reasons, not the least of which is that it's a Harry Potter set with zero main characters! I love the look of it, the magical openable feature, and all of the minifigures.

The Graveyard set was expected from the rumours, and still pretty good. I like the grave builds including Tom Riddle Sr's, but the whole flat area looks a bit bland and uninspiring. The minifigures are all well done apart from Wormtail's very incorrect hair. I recall someone on here speculating that LEGO would never do the KKK-looking Death Eater costume, but here we go, they did! Is it the CMF Series 12 wizard hat recoloured in black?

Yes. It is.

But Im afraid of how the Death Eater will look, as he has a white mask printed on a black head. I think it will be another Lady Iron Dragon/Macy situation

Funny thing about the graveyard and beaubaxton carriage sets ... I really didn't see it coming. I was basically at legoleaks instagram several times a day anticipating the 2019 wave. Then out of nowhere these two sets went from zero to official photos. Pleasant surprise neverhtless.

17 minutes ago, summicron said:

Funny thing about the graveyard and beaubaxton carriage sets ... I really didn't see it coming. I was basically at legoleaks instagram several times a day anticipating the 2019 wave. Then out of nowhere these two sets went from zero to official photos. Pleasant surprise neverhtless.

Yeah, it’s a lot like the Hogwarts Express last year, we knew the sets existed but no one heard even a whisper that one was the carriage, and while there were rumors that one set would be the graveyard most people thought it would be the higher priced one. But also like the Express last year, it’s definitely a really great surprise. 

6 hours ago, Otherworld said:

Does anyone have a link to what someone from LEGO said about wanting this theme to be evergreen? Or was it just a supposition/rumour?

6 hours ago, Legoniche said:

I don’t have a link but it was an interview from before or just as the 2018 line launched, I remember it was a German interviewer, and the Lego designer seemed to be British idk if that helps when searching for it 

This interview?!

11 hours ago, Accio Lego said:

Oh sure, I have daughters and they love all the sets and Harry Potter in general. I just think the Carriage has been designed as an entry point into the series for girls who may otherwise only be interested in things like Friends. I'd like to see Hermione being the focus of a set along with some of the other female characters. 

11 hours ago, CT-5503 said:

And the other thing is, with a 4 year cycle, they'll need to do rereleases every once in a while, especially of popular sets. So 5 years down the road, I wouldn't be surprised if they were to do another quidditch set or Hungarian Horntail. Just think about Star Wars, for example, which always has an X Wing, or a TIE on the market. Or maybe a better example would be the Kashyyk sets that were released this year. Very similar to 2014 sets, but with a few variations. Mostly for people who missed out on the sets when they came out the first time, such as younger kids who couldn't build such advanced sets at that point in their lives. So yeah...

TLDR, I think this line has staying power.

This is a really good point, I could totally see Lego rereleasing a lot of the most popular and memorable locations and vehicles in a few years time. Over the years they've already made 3 different versions of a Quidditch set, 4 Hogwarts Expresses and 3 flying cars! I could definitely see the car being put in a Privet Drive set to make it more exciting, and Lego could always make a Quidditch set based of Half Blood Prince as well. 

I know some Star Wars fans particularly get annoyed about rereleases but if they keep the theme going so we can get more sets from the earlier films in the future I'm all for it! I really hope Lego do go back eventually to cover the Chamber of Secrets and the Second Task 

RE: The staying-power conversation:

Lego star wars started ~20 years after Star Wars first came out. It's been 20 years since the first Harry Potter book came out. People like me who grew up on this series could be a pretty reliable consumer base. This series was major enough in a lot of our childhoods that they can exploit us for quite a few years of sets here.  The series also wound up with cross-generational appeal in my experience with family members who are entertainment super-fans and open to Lego.

Plus, there's no guarantee the Wizarding World goes dormant after the FB films. Studios don't seem to like letting properties go to sleep any longer. If they decide to do, like, a Hogwarts Founders trilogy, or a next-generation-of-students series, all bets are off.

HP could possibly become a permanent theme if they really wanted it to.

2nd Task/Escape from the Merpeople set would've been such a better choice than the Beuxbatons Carriage, and would honestly sell better too. The figures in the carriage are great though - but could easily have been in the Clock Tower.

Rise of Voldemort set is amazing; Pettigrew could use the Last Jedi Luke hair.

Just an off topic tangent, but I was wondering how everyone would rank this year's HP sets now that they've all been released. 

For me personally it's 

8: Advent Calendar (sorry just not my thing)

7: The Knight Bus (Nothing special, not much nuance)

6: The Rise of Voldemort (Love the figures, but the graveyard is fairly dull)

5: Hungarian Horntail (Really like the dragon; everything is good, but just not as good as the others)

4: Expecto Patronum (Perfect figures, love the stag, trees are good enough)

3: Hogwarts Clock Tower (Looks amazing, but kinda getting tired of all the expensive castle sets)

2: Beauxbatons Carriage (super unique and fresh, love the transformative feature)

1: Hagrid's Hut (by far the best/most accurate to date, love the buckbeak, price isn't an issue once it goes for 20% off at amazon)

4 minutes ago, reeve86 said:

so we confirm all these set will release at 1st of June?

Nope. The first 5 revealed (Horntail, Expecto, Clocktower, Knighbus, Hagrid's Hut) are to be released June 1. Then I've heard August 1 for Beauxbatons and Graveyard. And September 1 for the advent calendar.

Me personally:

1) Clocktower: Gorgeous asymmetrical exterior, probably my favorite Hogwarts piece thus far. The Yule Ball Portion with the tables and dance area was really well done along with an awesome Dumbledore’s Office. DADA and Prefects Bathroom were great bonuses as well. For $90 it’s a steal. 

2) Hagrid’s Hut: Another beautiful set and most screen accurate incarnation thus far. Buckbeak looks great, McNair and Fudge were awesome surprises. 

3) Expecto Patronum: STAG PATRONUS LITERALLY THE MOST BEAUTIFUL MOLD OF ALL TIME WHAT ELSE CAN I SAY?

4) Knight Bus: Had the OG one when I was a kid and I’m a sucker for purple bricks. I think the driver is my favorite minifig in this wave... he looks hysterical 

5) Rise Of Voldemort: Had the original one of this one as well... a little let down because of its size. Minifigs are great and it’s still a must have.

6) Beauxbatons Carriage: It’s a good set but it just does not do much for me besides the minifigs. Just kind of unnecessary, especially how we got all the Tasks except the Second. Good to get a proper Fleur love the new hat combo

7) Hungarian Horntail: The dragon itself is fine but the tent is so useless and feels like I’m getting nothing for $35. Will pick this one up only for First Task Harry and the Golden Egg.  Thinking of using my VIP points

My List: 

8: Knight Bus (It looks nice and has great figs, but I have the 2011 one, and this doesn't add much play value)

7: Expecto Patronum (Awesome Sirius and Prongs and really good builds, just not as much desirable stuff as other sets imo.)

6: Hungarian Horntail (Vastly underrated set with great figures, a Dragon far more accurate than the 2005 piece, and a cozy tent.)

5: Advent Calendar (I love me some Christmas jumpers.)

4: Rise of Voldemort (Awesome villains and a fun little play set. Excited to connect this to the Hidden Side Graveyard.)

3: Beauxbatons Carriage (Beautiful figures and build. [Just a side note, but I think it's funny that people think this is an odd choice whilst simultaneously wanting a new Durmstrang Ship, even though they're in the movie for the same amount of time and serve the same purpose.])

2: Hogwarts Clocktower (This has always been my favorite castle section, and I love the Yule figures and cozy interiors.)

1: Hagrid's Hut (Everything is perfect.)