Robert8

Harry Potter 2019 - Rumors & discussion

1 hour ago, Brick Cucumber said:

I think that they had brick built animals in that set because that took up most of the build and was supposed to be something a person holds. I think it would be different for a fully minifigure scaled Horntail challenge set.

Well I honestly don't care what the Horntail will be, I'll buy it anyway

There‘s no consistency when it comes to creatures, some are moulded and others are brick-built, no matter the size :grin: Owls are moulded, Fawkes isn‘t. The same principle applies to other themes: Dewbacks, Rancors and Wampas are moulded, Porgs, Rathtars and Mynocks aren‘t. Smaug was moulded, Shelob wasn‘t. I think the only theme with any consistency is Jurassic World, but then again the dinosaurs ressemble each other more than any of the above-mentioned do :laugh:

Personally, I prefer moulds, but to each their own I suppose :wink:

21 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

Personally, I prefer moulds,

I also prefer moulds, but I really am irked by the moulded legs that don't move individually.

Less on the Dewback, which has firm legs, but on The EP3 Boga and classic Dewback. What is the point of having them if they move to unrealistically.

7 minutes ago, Brick Cucumber said:

I also prefer moulds, but I really am irked by the moulded legs that don't move individually.

Less on the Dewback, which has firm legs, but on The EP3 Boga and classic Dewback. What is the point of having them if they move to unrealistically.

I agree, but luckily those days are mostly over :sweet: Most of the large and medium-sized moulded creatures either have quite a bit of articulation (dinosaurs and dragons) or at least the same amount as bigfigs (Wampa, Killer Croc, Rancor, though the latter two additionally feature articulated fingers). 

To me, brick-built creatures sometimes appear to be more robotic than organic. It works best for insects (Anthony) and arachnids (Shelob, Aragog, Mirkwood spiders), but not necessarily for mammals or reptiles, where it’s more like a case-to-case situation to me. It made sense for Newt’s creatures to be brick-built, but it wouldn’t have worked for the Thestral etc.

Just now, Lego-Freak said:

To me, brick-built creatures sometimes appear to be more robotic than organic. It works best for insects (Anthony) and arachnids (Shelob, Aragog, Mirkwood spiders)

I agree completely. The connections always make the brick built animals seem more insect like in proportions. I think it only really works on much larger scales, and even then, it often negatively affects the proportions. For small or medium creatures, I always prefer the look of moulded parts over the awkward proportions from the brick built joints.

I vastly prefer brick-built creatures, to the extent that I didn't buy any Jurassic World sets because of the molded dinosaurs, and I'll genuinely be a little upset if Buckbeak or the dragons are made out of a handful of giant prefab parts instead of something more along the lines of the creatures from Newt's suitcase. Sure you lose a bit of proportional accuracy, but as far as I'm concerned that's just part of the LEGO aesthetic akin to minifigures having claw hands and no noses. If I buy a LEGO set, I want to actually build stuff, you know? If I wanted perfect screen-accurate representation, I wouldn't be bothering with LEGO at all; I'd be getting the figures from Hot Toys or the Noble Collection.

17 hours ago, AdriWho said:

Maybe it is possible that a small façade is included in the Knight bus set. Just like this that appears inside the official lego book:

91pAe5G1CXL.jpg

Considering the fact that this is a building book, its easy to assume that this was built just for the book, but are there any unique pieces? Plus, I would have amused that if it was an actual set the Dursleys would have made an apearance on the page...

2 hours ago, tafkatb said:

I vastly prefer brick-built creatures, to the extent that I didn't buy any Jurassic World sets because of the molded dinosaurs, and I'll genuinely be a little upset if Buckbeak or the dragons are made out of a handful of giant prefab parts instead of something more along the lines of the creatures from Newt's suitcase. Sure you lose a bit of proportional accuracy, but as far as I'm concerned that's just part of the LEGO aesthetic akin to minifigures having claw hands and no noses. If I buy a LEGO set, I want to actually build stuff, you know? If I wanted perfect screen-accurate representation, I wouldn't be bothering with LEGO at all; I'd be getting the figures from Hot Toys or the Noble Collection.

I partialy agree, but I don't agree on animals like Buckbeak needing to be brick-built. Mostly since they are such small animals, being brickbuilt would mean they would be disproportionate and lacking in detail.

3 hours ago, tafkatb said:

I prefer moulded stuff because it conforms to the Lego aesthetic introduced with the horses in the old knights line. The brick buildstuff always looks lke something you'd make in minecraft tbh.

30 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

I partialy agree, but I don't agree on animals like Buckbeak needing to be brick-built. Mostly since they are such small animals, being brickbuilt would mean they would be disproportionate and lacking in detail.

Especially with Buckbeak being the size of a horse or Tauntun. It fits better to have it as a mould.

Buckbeak would be much better moulded, if only because Lego already has the perfect horse mould, it would only need a new head, some printed feathers on the front half, and brick-built wings like the Thestral.

Plus, if they could do that, maybe they could make Centaurs the same way: a new connector for a minifig torso where the head plugs into the horse mould. I'm wish-listing a bit, I know, and completely new moulds are usually best, but if reusing the horse mould gets us Buckbeak (or even Centaurs), I'm all for it.

Andres and Matthias from German blog Zusammengebaut.com (https://zusammengebaut.com/lego-neuheiten-zweites-halbjahr-2019-wir-berichten-live-von-der-spielwarenmesse-64413/) will report live from the Nuremberg Toy Fair tomorrow at 2 pm CET. Maybe we'll get some info on the HP sets, but don't get your hopes up too much. Sounds like they'll show 2HY releases, but you can never be too sure :grin: Pictures won't be allowed in the showroom as usual, but apparently there's a press conference kicking things off where pictures are permitted...

Regarding brick-built vs moulded creatures.

The way I see it is that with brick-built animals, it is possible to make them yourself or copy the design of other builders. Even-tough there are some very good brick-built animals out there made by you guys or in sets, the ones in system scale is by default less realistic looking then moulds of the same animal. The minfigs are not brick-built so they combine better with moulded animals. In addition a animal mould sometimes only come in one or two sets, so a single set could be our only chance to get a mould of a specific animal ever. Those who prefer brick-built, can sell the animal mould for more money than the bricks cost required to build the same animal :wink:

Just now, Geoh said:

How did those images get released? The book is only available for pre-order.

Click the link and swipe through the images, the pages shared in here are just little snippets from Amazon ?

2 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

Andres and Matthias from German blog Zusammengebaut.com (https://zusammengebaut.com/lego-neuheiten-zweites-halbjahr-2019-wir-berichten-live-von-der-spielwarenmesse-64413/) will report live from the Nuremberg Toy Fair tomorrow at 2 pm CET. Maybe we'll get some info on the HP sets, but don't get your hopes up too much. Sounds like they'll show 2HY releases, but you can never be too sure :grin: Pictures won't be allowed in the showroom as usual, but apparently there's a press conference kicking things off where pictures are permitted...

"Don't get your hopes up too much'' is one of those sentences I really don't like as a lego fan :laugh_hard:

But I think its likely we'll see at least some of the HP sets as opposed to the Marvel sets. Those will probably remain a secret

Just now, GriffindorForLife said:

I just saw that some leak accounts on insta are saying that there will most likely be set descriptions tomorrow for a number of themes including Harry Potter :excited:

That was already known

Considering Lego flat out refuses to use the ball joints necessary for large creatures in any other color than dark gray, yeah they often end up looking not great because it's so eye catching and displeasing. I'll take large body molds over that any day. I still have the old horntail from 15 or so years ago and it STILL looks good...just needs more mobility. 

I have some info on these sets, I am not willing to share it in this forum as I am actually a current user using an alternate account, I will share my name to anyone who messages me and I will also share my information if I decide that I can trust you, message away amigos

8 minutes ago, TheRandomBlocker said:

I have some info on these sets, I am not willing to share it in this forum as I am actually a current user using an alternate account, I will share my name to anyone who messages me and I will also share my information if I decide that I can trust you, message away amigos

Not really any reason not to share, leakers are allowed