Robert8

Harry Potter 2019 - Rumors & discussion

Well my wife will definitely enjoy this calendar more than the SW ones of late, that’s for sure. Looks like a great set of builds/figs!

It's so refreshing to see an advent calendar on a property where it actually makes sense. I've always thought the Star Wars advent calendar is kinda forced as Crhistmas is not a thing on SW

----------------------------

Who is supposed to be the golden statue? That doesn't look like any of the 4 founders

1 minute ago, Robert8 said:

It's so refreshing to see an advent calendar on a property where it actually makes sense. I've always thought the Star Wars advent calendar is kinda forced as Crhistmas is not a thing on SW

----------------------------

Who is supposed to be the golden statue? That doesn't look like any of the 4 founders

Technically there was a Star Wars Christmas special, but I think most people prefer to forget that exists. 

The statue is the Hogwarts Architect, and it’s an actual statue seen in the movies/parks. I think its most notable appearance is in CoS, actually during the Christmas scene, where Harry and Ron hide behind it while slipping Crabbe and Goyle the potion laced cupcakes. 

Hmm ok I see.... I thought it was stayed in the second book that Hogwarts was built by the founders themselves, that's how Slytherin was able to create the Chamber of Secrets

But LEGO make these based on the movies, so I guess it makes sense

1 hour ago, RogueTwo said:

I believe the Advent Calendar Flitwick also appears inHBP when he’s conducting the choir in the eerie and beautiful “In Noctem” deleted scene.  So I’m okay with the minifigure, but yeah, given the fact that this Advent Calendar was strictly years one-two, I fear we may never get “goblin Flitwick” now.  :sceptic:

You're not wrong, it's in that scene too :)

I don't think PS and CoS Flitwick is certain to never appear now, as it could be made to a satisfactory degree with existing parts, with either the CMS wizard hat or Ernie Prang's hairpiece. I think the shortest beard piece would work best, maybe suitable for a  Bricktober pack or something like that. 

Meh don't know what to think of this advent calendar. McGonagal is a huge disappointment, but it's great for people who missed or couldn't afford the great Hall. This works pretty well as a teacher pack. I really wanted ps/cos flitwick, but I guess every new variant is a nice addition, the torso is also a very useful piece. I like the architect more than I would've thought, it looks so nice in gold. The side builds are great, really can make our Lego hogwarts even more lively. With that said I think it's fair to say this might still be the best advent calendar we've gotten in years, and that on a short notice, the designers keep outdoing themselves on this theme.

22 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

Hmm ok I see.... I thought it was stayed in the second book that Hogwarts was built by the founders themselves, that's how Slytherin was able to create the Chamber of Secrets

But LEGO make these based on the movies, so I guess it makes sense

According to the wiki Hogwarts was designed by the Hogwarts Architect and Rowena Ravenclaw. After they finished the plans the Four Founders where the ones to actually build and open the school

2 minutes ago, Huigberts Builds said:

Meh don't know what to think of this advent calendar. McGonagal is a huge disappointment, but it's great for people who missed or couldn't afford the great Hall. This works pretty well as a teacher pack. I really wanted ps/cos flitwick, but I guess every new variant is a nice addition, the torso is also a very useful piece. I like the architect more than I would've thought, it looks so nice in gold. The side builds are great, really can make our Lego hogwarts even more lively. With that said I think it's fair to say this might still be the best advent calendar we've gotten in years, and that on a short notice, the designers keep outdoing themselves on this theme.

I also don't really care for Dumbledore and McGonagall, mostly because I bought 2 copies of the GH to make one bigger model. The rest of the calendar is actually very nice, I'm already looking forward to adding all these little builds to my Hogwarts MOC

It might be the light, but it looks like the Gryfindor flag is red with gold, instead of yellow and the Slytherin and Rvenclaw flags having silver as their secondary colour, instead of light grey.

Overall, apart from the lack of skirt pieces for Dumbledore and McGonnagal, I can't fault this calender. Can't wait for 2020's one!

A lot of cool stuff in the calendar! Love the Hogwarts architect, chess set, new figures etc. Unhappy with some stuff (house banners & tables, reused dumbledore and mcgonnagal) but overall, seeing as how this was a really rushed set, I’m happy with the end result and happy we even got it at all, I hope this calendar continues next year.

also, I agree with what’s said before; a Halloweeen decorations pack would be incredible! Pumpkins to hang on the great hall and more food decor. ??

There are a lot more exclusive figures in this set than any Star Wars calendar so I really complain about the lack of skirt piece for McGonnogall. They should have used one for her from the beginning but oh well. I didn’t even think about getting the SS/COS Flitwick until people started mentioning it for this set, and I like the later version much better so I don’t really mind it being the later version again. Variants are always welcome. I love the trio and the Architect. I honestly don’t care about any of the builds, I’m getting this for the figures. I do love that Hogwarts letter tile though 

35 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

There are a lot more exclusive figures in this set than any Star Wars calendar so I really complain about the lack of skirt piece for McGonnogall. They should have used one for her from the beginning but oh well. I didn’t even think about getting the SS/COS Flitwick until people started mentioning it for this set, and I like the later version much better so I don’t really mind it being the later version again. Variants are always welcome. I love the trio and the Architect. I honestly don’t care about any of the builds, I’m getting this for the figures. I do love that Hogwarts letter tile though 

They could've at least given us a hairpiece for McGonagall instead of her hat

So what are the odds we get a second wave of HP collectible minifigs at the end of this year? Or is the Advent calendar pretty much replacing that?

1 minute ago, Elrond said:

So what are the odds we get a second wave of HP collectible minifigs at the end of this year? Or is the Advent calendar pretty much replacing that?

The odds we get one this year is about -100000000%. We already know about all the CMF's we're getting this year, but as the first one did very well I'd say its definetely on the table for either next year or 2021. Bu since the first series coincided with CoG there is a big chance the second one will be released alongside FB3 in 2021

1 minute ago, Guyon2002 said:

The odds we get one this year is about -100000000%. We already know about all the CMF's we're getting this year, but as the first one did very well I'd say its definetely on the table for either next year or 2021. Bu since the first series coincided with CoG there is a big chance the second one will be released alongside FB3 in 2021

That makes sense. I just remembered the first wave really was a surprise and was announced rather late in the year, so I kept a little bit of hope. Oh well, at least there are plenty of sets I still need to get and hopefully more to look forward to next year.

Maybe they’ll wait till FB3 gets released, but I’d say there’s also a fair chance for a second CMF series next year :classic: If TLG don’t change their pattern, there should be two licensed series on the menu next year. Considering there’s no new LEGO movie on the horizon, a second series for TLM2 is somewhat doubtful and a third Disney series probably won’t be released this soon, the odds are in our favour.

...unless they decide to base one of the licensed series on one of their upcoming new themes that is (or worse, both, but they can’t be that cruel) :head_back:

Edited by Lego-Freak

5 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

[...]

...unless they decide to base one of the licensed series on one of their upcoming new themes that is (or worse, both, but they can’t be that cruel) :head_back:

I honestly think we’ll get a Star Wars CMF within the next five years.  I know it’s been said to be impossible, but Disney pulls the strings in terms of marketing, and if they think a second action figure license makes sense, it will happen eventually.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned about LEGO, it’s that the improbable often comes true.  

That said, I really think (and hope) Harry Potter CMF Series 2 will be released next year.  It seems like a bad idea to wait an extra year to bank on a movie that is controversial, is potentially unsuccessful, and has already been delayed.  

I know some people like FB, and I respect that, but last year’s marketing (and this year’s, for sure) show that people like Harry Potter because it’s Harry Potter, not because Fantastic Beasts suddenly piqued their interest.  

Yeah, the HP sets have been flying off the shelves here while the FB ones are left behind.

27 minutes ago, Elrond said:

Yeah, the HP sets have been flying off the shelves here while the FB ones are left behind.

Although both FB sets are pretty great sets

17 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

I guess I can’t argue with that.  :wink:

I just think waiting until 2021 for the next CMF makes little sense.  Sorry if this is the wrong thread for such discussion.  

What a lovely set, a must have for sure. I don't complain about Dumbledore and McGonagall being repeats, 5 other minifigs having exclusive parts is good enough for me. I'm surprised how much I like the Architect statue, I thought it would be much simpler, like a featureless pearl gold minidifure on a podium, but it has some nice detail. Also, am I crazy in thinking the housecrests are actually printed? It's hard to see on the video even when the camera zooms in on the set.

1 hour ago, Guyon2002 said:

Oh definitely, I still need to buy the bigger one though. It's just that they don't seem to have the same appeal and are not selling nearly as fast, but yeah it has nothing to do with the builds. Seems like TLG realized it too because this year's wave had nothing but HP. Maybe they were just testing the waters with those 2 sets.

6 hours ago, BenderBrau said:

What a lovely set, a must have for sure. I don't complain about Dumbledore and McGonagall being repeats, 5 other minifigs having exclusive parts is good enough for me. I'm surprised how much I like the Architect statue, I thought it would be much simpler, like a featureless pearl gold minidifure on a podium, but it has some nice detail. Also, am I crazy in thinking the housecrests are actually printed? It's hard to see on the video even when the camera zooms in on the set.

They were always stickered in previous sets but I don't think Advent Calendars have ever included stickers, we'll see

4 hours ago, Elrond said:

Oh definitely, I still need to buy the bigger one though. It's just that they don't seem to have the same appeal and are not selling nearly as fast, but yeah it has nothing to do with the builds. Seems like TLG realized it too because this year's wave had nothing but HP. Maybe they were just testing the waters with those 2 sets.

I just got the Suitcase 2 days ago. The figures aren't really anything to write home about but the Fantastic Beasts themselves are, well, fantastic to say the least. The suitcase itself is pretty cool too but I'd rather have gotten a more significant inside instead of the whole ''turn-into-a-suitcase'' feature, even though that feature is very cool and designed perfectly

9 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

Maybe they’ll wait till FB3 gets released, but I’d say there’s also a fair chance for a second CMF series next year :classic: If TLG don’t change their pattern, there should be two licensed series on the menu next year. Considering there’s no new LEGO movie on the horizon, a second series for TLM2 is somewhat doubtful and a third Disney series probably won’t be released this soon, the odds are in our favour.

Yeah, I really doubt the delayed release of FB3 will greatly effect a CMF. Merchandise sales across the board have proven that people will like Harry Potter even if there isn’t a new movie that year. 

I’ve been thinking for a while now that the lack of new Lego movies means both (theoretical) licensed series are free for IPs next year. You’re probably right that it’s too soon to get Disney series 3, and Harry Potter is a known quantity that has already done well as a CMF. Having Harry Potter as the 2nd CMF (after the requisite unlicensed series [not chronologically]) means that there’s theoretically only one ‘unknown quantity’ licensed series left. Much safer for Lego than two new licensed series, especially since Harry Potter did so well in its first go. 

This calendar is great! Probably the best one I’ve seen Lego make.