Robert8

Harry Potter 2019 - Rumors & discussion

1 hour ago, montyofmusic said:

I've spent the last few weeks preparing for the US release by MODing the Clock Tower on Studio (gutting most of the interior, adding the iconic pendulum and linking it into the gear system, fixing some proportions). 

It's pretty extensive, ordering the parts on Bricklink cost me ~$50. I'll post the file after I can get my hands on the set. I'd like to make sure it all works and that I'm happy with how it looks in the flesh before putting it out here.

Could you post some pictures, shouldn't be that hard?

Has anyone else observed the Wizarding World sets that aren't HP based selling poorly? I've seen them warm shelves since the beginning of the WW wave and I keep seeing the Grindlewald escape for ~£10 on sale. Maybe this is reflected by the complete absence of any Fantastic Beasts in the calendar.

49 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

Could you post some pictures, shouldn't be that hard?

Sure, here are some screenshots with the some of the more drastic changes outlined below:

ct1.pngct2.pngct3.png

ct4.png

ct5.png

1. The entrance is wider (partly so it feels a bit more grand, partly because if I'm going to go through the trouble of adding a pendulum, I'd like it to be readily visible).
  2. Entrance now has doors which are not obstructed by the pendulum.
  3. The midsection is taller
  4. The roof section is much shorter so it'll be slightly better proportioned to the Great Tower (or, at least my incarnation of the Great Tower - I added another floor to it)
  5. The color scheme should fit better with the existing buildings from last year. I added more dark flesh and less dark tan.
  6. The floors have been tiled over (and there are a few nods to the 2004 clock tower with the furniture).
  7. The hospital wing is now divided into two vignettes, separated by some of the pendulum's gear mechanism. I'm not sold on the little table with the skelegrow and the potions.
  8. I'm also not sold on the vegetation on the sides of the building, I'll have to see what that looks like in person.
  9. I'm not sure if I want the pendulum to move slower or faster than the hands on the clock. I've bought gears to accommodate both options. 
Edited by montyofmusic

As I wait as patiently as possible for July 1, I laid out what I have for my Hogwarts so far. I recently learned there is a convention taking place in my city this summer so I'm working to get it into a presentable state for then. You may notice the Clocktower is missing, which is because I want to use pieces from the forthcoming set as I build it. You can see the clocktower courtyard off to the left of the quad in anticipation.

The advent calendar is really cool and I love the Architect of Hogwarts figure. I’m in London right now and did the Warner Bros. Studio Tour and I really wish Lego would release more D2C sets with the rest of the castle! I’m glad that the new sets are releasing July 1st in the US. One month’s difference is fine in my opinion but a two month wait would’ve been a lot more irritating. 

45 minutes ago, GoldenNinja3000 said:

The advent calendar is really cool and I love the Architect of Hogwarts figure. I’m in London right now and did the Warner Bros. Studio Tour and I really wish Lego would release more D2C sets with the rest of the castle! I’m glad that the new sets are releasing July 1st in the US. One month’s difference is fine in my opinion but a two month wait would’ve been a lot more irritating. 

Agreed. One month is a lot easier to handle than two

@montyofmusic, thank you for sharing about your project with the Clock Tower! I too have ordered pieces to add a pendulum to my future Clock Tower! 

I liked your approach of placing the pendulum in the central part of the tower. I especially liked your brickbuilt doors!

My approach is making  minimal changes to the original structure as possibly. In the LDD, I placed the pendulum behind the structure without compromising the DADA classroom. Yet, the hospital wing will only have one bed because the other side will be occupied by a M-motor instead of the second bed. 

Looking forward to see yours and possibly others’ in real bricks! 

47 minutes ago, Gideon8 said:

@montyofmusic, thank you for sharing about your project with the Clock Tower! I too have ordered pieces to add a pendulum to my future Clock Tower! 

I liked your approach of placing the pendulum in the central part of the tower. I especially liked your brickbuilt doors!

My approach is making  minimal changes to the original structure as possibly. In the LDD, I placed the pendulum behind the structure without compromising the DADA classroom. Yet, the hospital wing will only have one bed because the other side will be occupied by a M-motor instead of the second bed. 

Looking forward to see yours and possibly others’ in real bricks! 

That sounds awesome, whenever you can snap some pictures I'd love to see it. That's really cool that you were able to place it behind the DADA classroom, I didn't even think of that. Last year I made a pretty big DADA classroom in a MOC expansion to the Great Hall (with the building's exterior based on the long gallery), so I immediately decided to gut that section of the interior out of the Clock Tower.

So it sounds like yours will be motorized?   

24 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

Speaking of set modifications, has anyone tried fixing the Horntail?

I’ve got some idea so but it’ll have to wait until I have it in hand since part of it involves the head piece which isn’t available on LDD

2 hours ago, montgocloud said:

That sounds awesome, whenever you can snap some pictures I'd love to see it. That's really cool that you were able to place it behind the DADA classroom, I didn't even think of that. Last year I made a pretty big DADA classroom in a MOC expansion to the Great Hall (with the building's exterior based on the long gallery), so I immediately decided to gut that section of the interior out of the Clock Tower.

So it sounds like yours will be motorized?   

How cool! It must be magnificent since it has a long gallery! That makes total sense why you don’t need DADA in the tower. 

Yep, will motorize the clock’s hand and the pendulum with the M-motor.

Will share a video of the tower after it comes into the stores on July 1st. I have made a really crude building in LDD to find out what pieces I need to order from BL without ruining the building experience, which I am saving for when I finally get it!

As for the Horntail, I think I saw someone in Instagram use the longer tail piece (40379) to make the head more impressive.

Has anyone tried to modify Hagrids Hut by simply buying 2 and close up the back? I have 2 sets here, but no room to display the set so I can't try it myself.

33 minutes ago, Hoth Rebel said:

Has anyone tried to modify Hagrids Hut by simply buying 2 and close up the back? I have 2 sets here, but no room to display the set so I can't try it myself.

I haven't modified the hut itself but I did change the interior quite a bit

Quick PSA for those of you who are living in Ontario Canada: Mastermind has the clocktower, hagrids hut, the Hungarian horntail and the knight bus on shelves already. According to management they aren't street dated and can be sold. I'll be picking up my copies tomorrow when I have some time.:thumbup:

Im excited, my local legoland in san antonio has the new wave in stock!  The clocktower is sold out though, they have all the new waves from the july wave on shelves!! 

Edited by eldiano

56 minutes ago, gdugaucquier said:

I thought the legs of the horntail were to big and i made Hagrid's hut complete.

The Horntail looks a lot beter! Good job!

I can’t shake the feeling that the horntail set looks a bit empty, so I’ve taken it upon myself to make a small arena mock to display the set in, seeing the mods to the dragon are a huge help! Will definitely try to apply those. 

Has anyone made a first task moc as well? I’d greatly appreciate seeing some examples to try and get a better idea of what to do.

On 6/20/2019 at 3:29 PM, Metanoios91 said:

I made a MOD a few days ago

What is that piece you have attached all the horns to?

5 hours ago, SamS said:

What is that piece you have attached all the horns to?

It's an Aeroblade piece from Ninjago

I think the neck is also too short on Lego’s version. I’m gonna change that as well, along with making the legs better and adding hella spikes

The pics from the July calendar are out but I can’t tell if there are any double VIP points, the quality isn’t good enough. Anybody know?