Robert8

Harry Potter 2019 - Rumors & discussion

For me it would have to be:

1.) Clock tower. I don't think the set is perfect but it's an excellent set in most aspects. Dumbledore's office and the DADA classroom are where the set lacks due to having a cramped feeling. But otherwise it's brilliant.

2.) Hagrid's Hut. Great set. I love the new Buckbeak mould and Fudge figure.

3.)  The Rise of Voldermort. I don't think the build is bad. It just could have been more. I'm still looking forward to how the transformation feature works though.

4.) Knight Bus. As someone who didn't have either of its predecessors it's good to see this one. And it's by far the best designed of the trio.

5.) Expecto Patronum. Really good set. I'd say this probably ties with the Knight Bus for me. I really hope to see more Patronus pieces! 

6.) Beauxbatons Carriage. Although I can't say I'm too interested in this set. I appreciate the thought that's gone into it. Especially the transformation feature. It's a feature that I feel Grindewald's escape could have benefited from. 

7.) Horntail/First task. It's not that the tent build is bad. It's just not very... ambitious. Why go for silver when they could go for gold? The spectator stand would have been a better inclusion or heck even a new section of Hogwarts. But I appreciate the inclusion of the four champions. 

Yup, another list no one will bother to read:

1. Beauxbaton carriage. It's just so damn pretty, easy to reuse in other fantasy setting. School uniform Fleur is just perfect, I would have never guessed we'd also get Gabrielle.

2. Hagrid's Hut. Buckbeak's fantastic, inclusion of Fudge and McNair is also great. Still could be better if there were two Harrys and Hermiones, maybe next time.

3. Clocktower. Entrance Hall could use a bit more detail (plus a better Goblet) and the dancing platform should be attached to it, not to the other side of the building. Otherwise, a great addition to the line.

4. Expecto Patronum. The stag and Sirius are the sole reason to buy this set.

5. Advent Calendar. I'm still stoked we're even getting one. Even though we haven't seen all of it, but at the very least it has Harry's and Ron's jumpers and new Gryffindor torso. which is already more than I expected

6. Rise of Voldemort. The ground looks weird but I get that it needs to hide a play feature. It's still worth getting, at least for the hooded death eater

7. Knight Bus. I'm not really interested in the subject matter, will wait for a discount

8. First Task. The worst thing is that Lego knows how to design a smaller dragon, they've been doing this in Ninjago and Elves for years. Maybe it's not 'Great Hall basilisk' bad but this thing does not resemble the horntail. At least it's cool we're gettin all of the champions

9 minutes ago, BenderBrau said:

Yup, another list no one will bother to read:

I've read every single one with interest!

33 minutes ago, Clone OPatra said:

Well, you sort of have to, but nevertheless - thank you :wink:

A small nitpick about the graveyard set - Wormtail shouldn't have his wand, he used Voldemort's for the resurrection. Seeing how accurate Lego has been so far about which characters should get their wand, this seems like a mistake - a really minor one, but still.

1 hour ago, BenderBrau said:

Still could be better if there were two Harrys and Hermiones, maybe next time.

I'd rather have new characters than two duplicates in one set (even when it makes sense storywise)

57 minutes ago, Clone OPatra said:

Me too! 

Just now, BenderBrau said:

Well, you sort of have to, but nevertheless - thank you :wink:

A small nitpick about the graveyard set - Wormtail shouldn't have his wand, he used Voldemort's for the resurrection. Seeing how accurate Lego has been so far about which characters should get their wand, this seems like a mistake - a really minor one, but still.

Kids will want to have wands for all their characters, even if it doesn't make total sense in comparison to the movie/book :wink:

1 minute ago, Guyon2002 said:

Me too!

What? But you don't have to! Does not compute!

3 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

I'd rather have new characters than two duplicates in one set (even when it makes sense storywise) 

I was thinking the time travelling Harry and Hermione would have slightly different, battle worn prints (they have been in hospital wing after all). I know I'm asking for too much, what we're getting now is entirely fine.

11 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

Kids will want to have wands for all their characters, even if it doesn't make total sense in comparison to the movie/book :wink:

By that logic, Sirius should also have one, as well as Stan and Ernie

1 hour ago, BenderBrau said:

By that logic, Sirius should also have one, as well as Stan and Ernie

Sirius' wand is included in the set, he just doesn't hold it

2 hours ago, BenderBrau said:

I for one don’t mind getting extra stuff, even if it’s inaccurate to the source material :classic: Why didn’t he have his own wand though? He does later on, doesn’t he? Or is it because he sacrificed his old one when he faked his death and couldn’t get a new one until after Voldy’s resurrection?

B2T: Now the only thing that’s still missing  is pictures of the back of the August/ September sets’ boxes. Baby Voldy and Flitwick are what I’m most curious about :purrr: For the former, I wonder which mould they’ll be using. The baby-in-a-blanket mould from the CMF probably works better than the more common mould; using the latter could lead to hilarious results :head_back:

For the latter, I’m interested to see if it’s the PS/CoS version, as most people are hoping for. We might even get a recolour or the CMF wizard’s hat, which would be quite neat because that would marks its third recolouring this year (purple in the Stranger Things set and black in the Rise of Voldy set) 

2 hours ago, Darkslayer said:

Is it weird that I want these sets despite not even liking films 3 and 4?

*I'm a huge book fan for reference

Most of the movie designs are close enough to the books to work for either. I didn't like movies 3 and 4 either (too dark... literally, I can't see what's happening), but I'll be getting these sets for my love of the books.

Anybody got any wise ideas for replacing Wormtails hair? He looks far too much like a Weasley for my liking! I can’t help but feel he’s one of those characters that just won’t translate well into Lego...

3 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

I for one don’t mind getting extra stuff, even if it’s inaccurate to the source material :classic: Why didn’t he have his own wand though? He does later on, doesn’t he? Or is it because he sacrificed his old one when he faked his death and couldn’t get a new one until after Voldy’s resurrection?

That’s basically the reason Wormtail doesn’t have his own wand, yes. In the Deathly Hallows book it’s stated by Olivander that he was forced to make Wormtail a new wand after being kidnapped by the Death Eaters, so Wormtail definitely doesn’t have his own at Voldemort’s resurrection (hence using his master’s wand to kill Cedric). I’m not going to complain about more wands though, I might be planning something with all the spares I’m getting.  

3 hours ago, Darkslayer said:

Is it weird that I want these sets despite not even liking films 3 and 4?

*I'm a huge book fan for reference

In certain cases, we’re getting more of the books here than we do in the movies. I’m thinking specifically of the stag patronus, which only gets an outline in the first run through of the time travel shenanigans of PoA. When we actually see Harry cast the spell later it’s just waves of light with no animal form present. That cuts out Harry’s realization of what Prongs stood for, and Lupin’s confirmation is similarly cut from the movie. And yes, I’m still salty about all of that. I guess that’s one of the reasons I’m so excited to get a proper stag patronus in LEGO form (plus it’s shiny). 

41 minutes ago, Scarlet_Patronus said:

Anybody got any wise ideas for replacing Wormtails hair? He looks far too much like a Weasley for my liking! I can’t help but feel he’s one of those characters that just won’t translate well into Lego...

I think the Last Jedi Luke hair would theoretically work well, if not for Wormtail's giant orange eyebrows. If you can overlook that, the Luke hair is accurate in both shape and color, and the muted tone makes less obvious the lack of a bald spot. 

The other issue is that Sirius uses this hair in dark brown, but a solution is to instead use the Moody hair in brown (available at LEGO retail stores in the Build-a-Minifigure stations), which both makes him more accurate and gives Wormtail a more unique cut from his old friend.

1 hour ago, Scarlet_Patronus said:

As said above Luke’s hairpiece I probably the best bet. The Hairpiece from the Series 15 CMF wrestling champion could also work as well. Though it is a tad long.

1 hour ago, Lego-Freak said:

latest?cb=20140520190737

24072.png35494.png

I think the Wrestling Champion's hair works best, even the color is quite close :classic:

Thank all you guys for your suggestions!! I think the colour of the wrestler might best match the eyebrows. I don’t really know why LEGO insist on making him ginger tbh :shrug_oh_well:

I’m not a fan of changing official LEGO figures if I can help it, but might pick up that brown Moody piece for Sirius! 

1 hour ago, Scarlet_Patronus said:

Thank all you guys for your suggestions!! I think the colour of the wrestler might best match the eyebrows. I don’t really know why LEGO insist on making him ginger tbh :shrug_oh_well:

LEGO has an odd obsession with making people ginger, like young Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Warner Brothers / JK Rowling licensers have to approve all of these choices, but I doubt they're as picky and detail obsessed as us AFOLs. I'd like to know a case when they disproved of one of LEGO's minifgure design choices, and it was changed because of that.

I dont get it when LEGO does stuff like this. They had a more accurate piece and even in the right color. Why would they use another one?? 

3 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

I think the Wrestling Champion's hair works best, even the color is quite close :classic:

Oh, I hadn't thought of that. I'm pretty sure I have that figure somewhere, so that's a change I'll be able to make as soon as I get Wormtail. Thanks!

Edited by Clone OPatra
Please don't quote multiple pictures on the same page.

13 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

I dont get it when LEGO does stuff like this. They had a more accurate piece and even in the right color. Why would they use another one?? 

I've read before (I think either in a New Elementary post or in the comments on one from someone in the know) that CMF pieces aren't just readily available. Since until recently they were all made in a Chinese factory, LEGO has to opt to reproduce the mould in one of their other factories that handles main parts supply for sets. To do so does in some way factor into the cost behind the set and the decisions the design team has to make to meet the allotted budget.

I could be getting some of this partially wrong because it's very third hand, but that's the gist of it.

2 minutes ago, Clone OPatra said:

I've read before (I think either in a New Elementary post or in the comments on one from someone in the know) that CMF pieces aren't just readily available. Since until recently they were all made in a Chinese factory, LEGO has to opt to reproduce the mould in one of their other factories that handles main parts supply for sets. To do so does in some way factor into the cost behind the set and the decisions the design team has to make to meet the allotted budget.

I could be getting some of this partially wrong because it's very third hand, but that's the gist of it.

But that hairpiece is being used in the City line. I think it comes in the Fairground People Pack

22 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

But that hairpiece is being used in the City line. I think it comes in the Fairground People Pack

Ah, good point. I forgot about that. That being the case, it's just a bad choice.

3 minutes ago, Clone OPatra said:

Ah, good point. I forgot about that. That being the case, it's just a bad choice.

You do have a point though: despite the mould being reintroduced in the people pack, it’s in the wrong colour (reddish brown) and thus would have required a recolour for Wormtail, which is of course less expensive than a “new” mould, but still a matter of expense :wink: 

37 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

You do have a point though: despite the mould being reintroduced in the people pack, it’s in the wrong colour (reddish brown) and thus would have required a recolour for Wormtail, which is of course less expensive than a “new” mould, but still a matter of expense :wink: 

True, but reddish brown is more accurate than dark orange, anyway, so who knows.  Mostly, I wish we got the Filch bald hairpiece with printed dark tan hair.

2 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

LEGO has an odd obsession with making people ginger, like young Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Warner Brothers / JK Rowling licensers have to approve all of these choices, but I doubt they're as picky and detail obsessed as us AFOLs. I'd like to know a case when they disproved of one of LEGO's minifgure design choices, and it was changed because of that.

This isn't JK Rowling related, but per one of the LOTR designer videos, apparently the original design for the Cave Troll was mostly grey, and WB opted for a more colorful sand-blue/tan version.  So it does happen, but that was a big-fig designed to help sell a set, whereas Wormtail's hair might be more a case of..."Who cares?" from the license team.

Figured I might as well make my list since everyone else did. Overall I’m super happy with this wave and can’t wait to get it!

1- Clock tower, such a great set, fun looking build and tons of great exclusive figures. Can’t wait to see it connected to the great hall and whomping willow sets.

2- expecto patronum: such a great small set, Sirius looks great, two dementors, fantastic new stag piece and two good trees to build up the forbidden forest? Sign me up. I’ll probably get two or even three.

3- Hagrids hut: really like getting the two hut look from film 3, buckbeak looks fantastic, looks like a nice build with lots of accessories and great minifigs. Only negative is the price, and the reuse of the hagrid.

4- Beauxbatons carriage: such a unique and beautiful build, 4 exclusive minifigs (fleur in particular looks excellent) and two abraxans. It’ll be good to get something we haven’t gotten in any previous waves.

5- Advent calendar: just the fact that we’re getting this is so exciting. Hope we get move 1/2 flitwick and some good mini builds to go with the d2c Hogwarts.

6- Horntail: great figures. not a huge fan of the dragon design, but I’ll have a lot of fun modding it and seeing all of your mods! Looking to maybe moc some stands and a larger arena.

7- great minifigs! Great price and great set, it’s only so low since the build looks kinda dull(?) I might pick up the hidden side graveyard and that’ll make me like it more, but overall still good! 

8- Knight bus: nothing really wrong with it, just not terribly exciting seeing as how i have the previous version. Would be better if it included padfoot. Will wait for discount.