MKJoshA

Factions - General Discussion

3 hours ago, goatman461 said:

I think a big difference is that the factions are not permanent, and builders are not forever tied to their initial faction. So we expect some factions to die off as other rise up from the more active builders. It should keep the best factions going and breathe new life into the game from time to time.

A practical approach.

Off-topic: What is the yellow symbol that was previewed?  I can identify or give a good guess on the other five, but that one has me utterly stumped.  A keep seeing a nun or Handmaid's Tale. *huh*

10 hours ago, goatman461 said:

I think a big difference is that the factions are not permanent, and builders are not forever tied to their initial faction. So we expect some factions to die off as other rise up from the more active builders. It should keep the best factions going and breathe new life into the game from time to time.

That's a nice mechanic, and it'll be interesting to see how that works in practice!

@Kwatchi: I couldn't possibly say!

Edited by Basiliscus

Any player / ID could only create and play with ONE character, isn't it? Can it be a squad or small team? e.g. some thing like inferno squad.

2 hours ago, JoeChu1980 said:

Any player / ID could only create and play with ONE character, isn't it? Can it be a squad or small team? e.g. some thing like inferno squad.

You’ll need one character to be a part of your faction, but you can create as many characters as you would like. 

Unlike SoNE, you won’t have to feature your faction character in each build, so there’s a lot of opportunity to visit as many characters as you would like to. 

Keep the questions coming everyone! As goatman has clarified, if you gain 50 IP on a planet you can certainly keep gaining more! The team with the most has control of the planet and 25 more XP is needed to take it over. If that planet has a holocron on it the rules are the same. The first faction to gain 50 IP on a planet will have control of the holocron, but the can loose control is another faction gains 25 IP more. We fully expect those planets to change hands multiple times.

We are charting new waters here by allowing the rise and fall of factions on a rolling basis. So eve though we're starting with 6 now, that's just because we had 6 people interested and eligible to start out as faction leaders. If things get really quiet here we could go down to 2 factions, or we could get even more than 6 going. But that's the beauty of the model of Factions!

Thanks @MKJoshA and @goatman461 for patiently answering all the questions.

At the risk of sounding rude, when do you think the faction reveals might be? There's a few competitions on at the moment, e.g. Colossal Castle Contest and Space Jam, and I'm just trying to work out what to build when.

1 hour ago, Basiliscus said:

Thanks @MKJoshA and @goatman461 for patiently answering all the questions.

At the risk of sounding rude, when do you think the faction reveals might be? There's a few competitions on at the moment, e.g. Colossal Castle Contest and Space Jam, and I'm just trying to work out what to build when.

Should be this week

1 hour ago, Professor Thaum said:

Could we have an idea of the SW timeline... for the newbee of SoNE ?

The game will take place in the "Aftermath" era, shortly after the Battle of Jakku

1 hour ago, Professor Thaum said:

Could we have an idea of the SW timeline... for the newbee of SoNE ?

I think they’re running this as a hybrid of canon and legends, but mostly canon, so here goes my guess.

22 bby - Battle of Geonosis sparks the beginning of the Clone Wars. (Events of Attack of the Clones)

19 bby - Clone Wars End, Republic reorganized into the Galactic Empire. (Events of Revenge of the Sith) 

0 bby - Battle of Scarif, Roque One uploads Death Star plans to come the Rebel Fleet, and are eventually brought to the Rebel Base on Yavin. Rebels launch desperate attack on the Death Star and Luke Skywalker successfully destroy it.  (Events of Rogue One and a New Hope)

3 aby - The Empire discovers and assaults the central rebel base in the Battle of Hoth. (Events of The Empire Strikes Back)

4 aby - The Battle of Endor (Events of The Return of the Jedi)

5 aby - The Battle of Jakku resulting in the end of the Galactic Empire (sortve. Politically it doesn’t make much sense the entire Empire would simply fall apart. More then likely there are Imperial Remnants that just stick to their own borders until the First Order invades thirty years later.)

Just now, Forresto said:

I think they’re running this as a hybrid of canon and legends, but mostly canon, so here goes my guess.

22 bby - Battle of Geonosis sparks the beginning of the Clone Wars. (Events of Attack of the Clones)

19 bby - Clone Wars End, Republic reorganized into the Galactic Empire. (Events of Revenge of the Sith) 

0 bby - Battle of Scarif, Roque One uploads Death Star plans to come the Rebel Fleet, and are eventually brought to the Rebel Base on Yavin. Rebels launch desperate attack on the Death Star and Luke Skywalker successfully destroy it.  (Events of Rogue One and a New Hope)

3 aby - The Empire discovers and assaults the central rebel base in the Battle of Hoth. (Events of The Empire Strikes Back)

4 aby - The Battle of Endor (Events of The Return of the Jedi)

5 aby - The Battle of Jakku resulting in the end of the Galactic Empire (sortve. Politically it doesn’t make much sense the entire Empire would simply fall apart. More then likely there are Imperial Remnants that just stick to their own borders until the First Order invades thirty years later.)

Yes, this timeline works. The main contests are set between the Battle of Jakku and the new Resistance show that's airing which is set before Force Awakens. So your main character should be someone who fits in the Factions Era. But we will have plenty of opportunities for you to build in other Eras so you can have multiple supporting characters, even ones set in the past.

I'm glad you guys are going to allow different eras. I like Jedi and I want Jedi at least some of the time, you know? I don't really get the "ugh Jedi" camp in SW fandom. :P

Old Republic, here I come! Well... a little bit.

Edited by mccoyed

Very interesting! I don't have the bricks or building skills(I feel like that whole figbarf issue might pertain to me...) to contribute a whole lot to this, but I'm definitely excited to see what happens.

1 hour ago, Evolved Turtle said:

Very interesting! I don't have the bricks or building skills(I feel like that whole figbarf issue might pertain to me...) to contribute a whole lot to this, but I'm definitely excited to see what happens.

We didn’t have you in mind. It’s very common across IG and Flickr, and with allowing custom parts we wanted to be sure to curb their inappropriate use in the forum. 

Truly, we work hard on these forums because we like to see people improving their builds and supporting each other while enriching the Star Wars universe

The first faction thread is up, great!

I am curious about the details of the other factions, so will not jump for the CFS right away - but I like what I see! Definitely something that should appeal to a lot of people (myself included). Good start! :thumbup:

24 minutes ago, Drunknok said:

The first faction thread is up, great!

I am curious about the details of the other factions, so will not jump for the CFS right away - but I like what I see! Definitely something that should appeal to a lot of people (myself included). Good start! :thumbup:

Yup, this is great to see. @goatman461 great first post on faction description. :classic:

I'd echo that, I like the frontier spirit of the CFS, and it's one of two that I really liked the look of prior to the reveal, and the reveal has only heightened my appetite!

I’m glad y’all like it. There are a lot of really cool factions posting soon, so don’t forget about the CFS after you’ve been wowed by all the others

Just now, goatman461 said:

I’m glad y’all like it. There are a lot of really cool factions posting soon, so don’t forget about the CFS after you’ve been wowed by all the others

CFS ? Translation for the newbies ?

Hello guys !

All this great job to prepare a new LEGO RPG ! That's great !

I was looking at some new way of building with LEGO and try space MOCs that I am not really good at... This is the opportunity to try something different from Castles and Pirates !

I am waiting for the other Factions descriptions to be posted but the first one is promissing !

:moar:

My figbarfing has already begun.  Now I'm going to make some constipation noises.

Hhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggghhhhhhhhhhh.