goatman461

Factions - Introduction, Discussion, and Core Rules

On 4/23/2019 at 6:12 PM, goatman461 said:

Should be up soon. If it’s been submitted, it’s been scored. Just bottlenecked by the actual posting of scores. We’re trying to get it moving more efficiently. Thank you for the patience 

Thank you for the quick reply.

I came to think of another question - you've outlined how a player can start their own faction when they reach 150XP, but what about factions joining each other? Could two factions create an alliance. Or could a small faction pledge allegiance to a bigger faction - e.g. like the Hutts joining the Empire or the Banking Clan joining the Separatists?

I think it could create some intriguing RPG... Just a thought - and a question... :purrr:

We have discussed it before and basically decided that factions can form whatever agreements they want, but nothing in the game mechanics would change. 

For example, on the likely case that TCR pledges its allegiance to CFS, either faction would still have to use their own territory as a basis for earning IP, but maybe they agree to not challenging each other for control of a system

On 4/23/2019 at 9:57 AM, Darth Bjorn said:

It's been awhile since XP has been awarded? Any updates?

Sorry for the delay. All scores are posted except for the most recent MOC.

17 hours ago, MKJoshA said:

Sorry for the delay. All scores are posted except for the most recent MOC.

Awesome thanks! :)

On 4/26/2019 at 12:56 AM, goatman461 said:

We have discussed it before and basically decided that factions can form whatever agreements they want, but nothing in the game mechanics would change. 

For example, on the likely case that TCR pledges its allegiance to CFS, either faction would still have to use their own territory as a basis for earning IP, but maybe they agree to not challenging each other for control of a system

That makes sense. Hmm, what if all members of a faction decides to leave for an allied faction - letting their faction be absorbed by the one they transfer to? According to the rules PC's can freely change factions, but they leave their IP's with the faction they leave. If the move is planned and the entire faction is absorbed - would the absorbed factions IP just reset/be lost or would/could the 'absorber' receive the IP, since it is a 'friendly' or planned take-over? :)

I know this is a very hypothetical scenario, but I just thought it would be interesting that a faction would hand over all their resources in the event of being absorbed by another faction - very SWy. :vader:

Cheers

We’ll discuss it. I’d kind of like to see how it plays out under the current rules, but we do want to allow enough flexibility for interesting relationships to develop. 

@goatman461 @MKJoshA Do you guys award XP for additional images in a submission post, or do you only award XP for what is in the first photo?

E.g. my prisson submission below - do I get XP for the miniature ship in the same post or do I have to create a new post for that build to get XP? :) Just nice to know.

We take the topic as a whole and include any additional posts or photos as long as they’re posted before we judge the topic. 

(Speaking for myself) There may be times when you might get more XP from splitting out distinct builds into separate topics, but I wouldn’t take it too far. It’s all about guessing where the fuzzy gray line is between each tier judges use to scale their scores. 

12 hours ago, Darth Bjorn said:

@goatman461 Thanks for the fast reply - makes sense.

No problem. Also, remember that we’re just builders trying to work everything out. It’ll take time for the scoring system to become more formulaic. 

We’re happy to have dedicated builders like y’all that are posting amazing MOCs to the forum 

We've made two significant updates to the rules. 

On 11/13/2018 at 10:18 AM, goatman461 said:

Each faction is led by a player with 75 XP or more.

On 11/13/2018 at 10:18 AM, goatman461 said:

Factions may agree to share access to their territory. Faction leaders are responsible for knowing where their members can build and who cannot build in their territory. 

The main purpose was to

• reward highly active, yet new, builders;
  • allow for more factions to develop but prevent builders from getting too spread out; and
  • encourage collaborations and more sophisticated diplomacy between factions.

Keep an eye out for new types of challenges and announcements coming soon.

Hi all. Interested in joining this, but I have a few questions:

1) Does this game use canon materials only, or is legends material acceptable?
2) If I join a faction, do I have to start within that factions territory? Is it possible to start in an isolated location instead?
3) Can a player control more than one character? I'd love to make a character to represent my fiancee as well as one for myself.

Thanks for reading.

1 hour ago, Moff Wibbles said:

Hi all. Interested in joining this, but I have a few questions:

1) Does this game use canon materials only, or is legends material acceptable?
2) If I join a faction, do I have to start within that factions territory? Is it possible to start in an isolated location instead?
3) Can a player control more than one character? I'd love to make a character to represent my fiancee as well as one for myself.

Thanks for reading.

Glad to have you!

1) The game relies on canon to dictate any contradictions. But as an EU lover myself I can say Legends is totally acceptable. Just find a way to make your story fit and you're good. The regular rule apply of not over-writting canon or other players stories.

2) You can build anywhere, but you only earn IP within your faction's territory. IP is what allows your faction to "control" planets. But, each faction has access to all 5 main hyperspace routes so you've got a lot of territory open to you no matter which faction you choose. 

3) You need to have 1 main character, but other characters are welcome. Your main character does not have to be in all your builds. He/she just needs to be designated as your "main."

I hope that helps. Feel free to ask more questions!

Apologies for the double post, but I wanted to introduce my two characters to the other players.

bWdtOYb.png

Arias Mercer, better known by his operating number (O-3807) is an eight-year veteran of the Empire. He served his first four-year term in the Imperial Army, as a member of the Scout Troopers, and retired to civilian life when his tour ended with the rank of Corporal.

He re-enlisted in the aftermath of the Battle of Yavin, this time joining the Imperial Navy. He graduated within a year (as did many cadets, put through accelerated training courses to replace losses) in the top third of his class and was assigned to the Flight Branch.

He served his mandatory year of flight duty as a recon pilot, showing a flair for observation and stealth. After his year was up, he transferred to the Vensenor Flight Academy, where he served as a training officer. Barely a year into his tenure, he was mysteriously reassigned to the Naval Intelligence Agency, under the direct command of Grand Admiral Martio Batch.

X3NqLVU.png

Rubee Blue (O-19160) already had an impressive resume before enlisting in the Imperial Navy. An accomplished Teras Kasi instructor and skilled builder, she enlisted in the Imperial Navy a year after the infamous Battle of Yavin after encouragement from her friend, Arias Mercer. 

With her academic record and skills, she was fast-tracked into officer training. An excellent student, she demonstrated an aptitude for leadership and a love for walker operations (something she rarely got to practise in the Navy). Although she was investigated for nonconformity numerous times by the ISB, she managed to graduate with honours a year later.

She served as a flight leader in the 075th TIE Interceptor Squadron, leading a team of three other pilots in battles throughout the Dantel Sector. After heavy casualties caused the dissolution of the squadron, she was reassigned without warning or explanation to the Naval Intelligence Agency, under the direct command of Grand Admiral Martio Batch.

Here are my two starting characters - based on my fiancee and myself. We have both been in the 501st Legion costuming group, and chunks of the character backstory comes from our experiences and accomplishments within that organisation. If anyone has any questions, feedback (including constructive criticism) or ideas, please don't hesitate to let me know.

The 'backstory' records for both characters end approximately a year before the Battle of Endor - this is by design, as I plan to tell their story through a series of freebuilds that cover their experiences in the final two years of the Galactic Civil War, and help establish the characters and where they are at the time the storyline starts (also as a way to ease myself into this whole thing, I've never built Lego for anything but my own amusement before).

9 hours ago, Moff Wibbles said:

Apologies for the double post, but I wanted to introduce my two characters to the other players.

Here are my two starting characters - based on my fiancee and myself. We have both been in the 501st Legion costuming group, and chunks of the character backstory comes from our experiences and accomplishments within that organisation. If anyone has any questions, feedback (including constructive criticism) or ideas, please don't hesitate to let me know.

The 'backstory' records for both characters end approximately a year before the Battle of Endor - this is by design, as I plan to tell their story through a series of freebuilds that cover their experiences in the final two years of the Galactic Civil War, and help establish the characters and where they are at the time the storyline starts (also as a way to ease myself into this whole thing, I've never built Lego for anything but my own amusement before).

Fantastic! Glad to have you aboard and I'm looking forward to your builds!

17 hours ago, MKJoshA said:

Fantastic! Glad to have you aboard and I'm looking forward to your builds!

Thanks! How long do I have to wait until I can get started? 

8 hours ago, Moff Wibbles said:

Thanks! How long do I have to wait until I can get started? 

A formal acceptance by your faction leader is nice. But you can start building right away. If, for some reason (not likely), your faction declines your application we can always move your builds to another faction. I'm anxious to see what you've got coming!

Haha, I feel a little foolish. I was under the impression that I had to post in a faction's thread to apply for that faction. Huge thanks to @Gubi0222 for clearing that up.

It's great to see so many people signing up using the Factions Player sheet. I've fixed some of the formulas so you should all be visible now. @MouseBricks you haven't listed which faction you're joining. Let me know and I'll manually add it. @Moff Wibbles I see you submitted both of your characters using the form. You'll need to pick one to use as your "main" character. Basically just someone we use to keep track of your stats with.

5 hours ago, Darth Bjorn said:

@MKJoshA No TCR planets for the Era buillds? 

Sorry, there are too many acronyms in this game I guess. What do you mean by TCR?