Zerobricks

Diagonal 6 speed sequential gearbox concept

Having used the diagonal gearbox concept in my Dominator TRS and 10.000 Subscribers special Mashup models, I wanted to upgrade it and make it sequential.

Due to the nature of the gearbox, I had to come up with a clever way to translate the rotational movement of the paddle shifter to the sequential movements required by this gearbox.

This is what I came up with:

800x524.jpg

Concept started with a basic diagonal gearbox with 6 gears:

800x319.jpg

On top of that came the switching levers which are activated by the round wheels and centered with rubber bricks:

800x395.jpg

In order to activate the switching levers in sequence, a switching axle was built using pulley wheels, which can be set up to activate any desired gear in it's 60 degree interval:

800x448.jpg

Finally to switch the gears and to keep them in place a simple paddle shifter inspired by Chiron is used:

800x818.jpg

Please check the video to see how it all comes together:

For now this is still a concept, there is still an issue with levers sometimes staying in the gear, locking the gearbox. I think this is due to the nature of the rubber bricks and suggest using levers and rubber bands instead.

I hope this concept will be useful not only for supercars, but also motorized models.

If anyone has time and bricks to spare, I would like to ask them to give this concept a try and post feedback and improvements :thumbup:

Edited by Zerobricks

I've never seen they kind of gearbox in technic before, i love new things and this is great. The top level reminds me of a selector drum in a motorbikes sequential gearbox. 

I'm always intrigued when someone thinks sideways and comes up with something like this. I'm really like it! Great explanatory video too. :thumbup:

Also, just to add.... i realise its a concept and not the final polished version, but to me that less important - its seeing an idea thats new (to me at least). 

That's a great idea!  I like how you even used a 28t turntable (pity there's no 32t gear, or you could go two more).

About the issue with staying in gear, could it work to put a towball or something similar in the other 4 holes of the pulley, to lock the wheels in place?

That's a cool mechanism! Using those wedge belt wheels as drums with 6 positions totally makes sense when you think of it :thumbup: I'm now wondering though how you did the gear switching on the Dominator? Just individually switching each set of gears?

P.S.: thanks for linking to the mashup, totally missed that...!

Edited by Ludo Visser

Seems to have worked out fairly well, maybe only a little fine tuning necessary. It always amazes me that when I see something like this, it makes perfect sense and appears easy enough to implement, yet when I try to design something like this myself it just ends up being a pile of megablocks. Thanks for the video, I think I will start with a 4 speed version for my newest moc as that is probably all I could fit into it, I am trying to keep it somewhat small. 

1 hour ago, Ludo Visser said:

That's a cool mechanism! Using those wedge belt wheels as drums with 6 positions totally makes sense when you think of it :thumbup: I'm now wondering though how you did the gear switching on the Dominator? Just individually switching each set of gears?

P.S.: thanks for linking to the mashup, totally missed that...!

Dominator had a 4 + 1 gearbox. The 4 gears were switched using a mechanism like in porsche and the switching was not done in sequentially. The last, low range 5th gear was actived when in offroad mode.

51 minutes ago, Johnny1360 said:

Seems to have worked out fairly well, maybe only a little fine tuning necessary. It always amazes me that when I see something like this, it makes perfect sense and appears easy enough to implement, yet when I try to design something like this myself it just ends up being a pile of megablocks. Thanks for the video, I think I will start with a 4 speed version for my newest moc as that is probably all I could fit into it, I am trying to keep it somewhat small. 

For a 4 speed version you can use the new chiron wave switch elements to simplfy the design.