This scene is my second entry into the Colossal Castle Contest XVI, for the Fantasy Siege Weapon category. I took inspiration for the landscape from the style of detailed model bases you often see for things like Lord of the Rings scenes.

Mitgardian dwarves are masters of warfare, and their powerful ballistas are feared by all enemies.

overview-2.jpg

back.jpg

side.jpg

ballista.jpg

wolves.jpg

See more pictures on Brickbuilt.

Once I figured out the ballistas, this scene came together quite quickly, and it was fun doing a larger landscape again.
C&C welcome :dsweet:

It looks amazing. No other words needed. 

The dark earth, the autumn-y grass, the natural shapes. Why oh why are you so talented with plastic bricks??? 

A very nice, realistic looking heavy ballista design. I like the fact you included the animals to draw them into position.  The slight rise of the snotted slope also looks like a perfect position to set them up.

Oh yeah, landscaping is great, ballistas are great, colors are great and the textures are great. What else can be said. :)

Also, is the CCC entry page up for you? Because it isn't for me...

Edited by TheLordOfBricks

The landscape here is really impressive, in part because of the colors but also in part because of the subtle slope.  Great posing on the ferocious beasts (are they called wargs or something?), they really look ready to lunge!

This is ridiculously good.  I don't even know why I bothered to respond.  I have no advice to offer or criticism to give.

Holy banana! Those ballistas are genius! Love the fact that wolves are pulling them!

The landscape with dk brown and olive green works great togheter! 

I love me some wargs, and they are put to great use here! The ballistas are excellent too, as is the base. The colors are absolutely lovely, olive with dark brown. Dark brown really looks good with lots of colors (I love it with sand green and tan, personally) and it makes for some great dirt. Even the warg posing is done well, keeping them looking alive and not all at the same angle. Good work!

The dark brown/olive green landscape looks fantastic. I really need to get a stack more dark brown! The ballistas are of course excellent as well! Great work!

Awesome work man, that base is just fantastic (I somehow feel like taking a bite out of it, haha!). And like I told you on Flickr already, great use of those big wheels! 

The dark brown and olive green look stunning, as others have mentioned. Love the texture of the base and the way it gradually increases in height.

The wargs look good and the scene is well decorated. Great work!

Massive ballistas! Love the terrain/base!! :wub:

Spoiler

.. and I'm soo jelly of those wargs.. :grin:

Now I’ll have to remember the combo of dark brown and olive green! I really love how the terrain goes down. Great work on the ballistas too. Only amazing stuff in this MOC! Keep it up! :thumbup:

This is an excellent build, not only for the colors but also for the slight slope to the ground, the irregular base, and the creative use of the wargs.  I'm glad you posted this early, so now I won't enter the fantasy siege weapon category, because there's no way I can build anything close to that good, especially with that quantity of the rare olive and even rarer dark brown.  Great job!

On 11/13/2018 at 8:35 AM, Alfadas said:

It looks amazing. No other words needed. 

The dark earth, the autumn-y grass, the natural shapes. Why oh why are you so talented with plastic bricks??? 

Thanks Alfadas :blush:
Years of practice paying off I guess :laugh:

On 11/13/2018 at 9:44 AM, Muakhah said:

A very nice, realistic looking heavy ballista design. I like the fact you included the animals to draw them into position.  The slight rise of the snotted slope also looks like a perfect position to set them up.

Thank you!

On 11/13/2018 at 10:50 AM, TheLordOfBricks said:

Oh yeah, landscaping is great, ballistas are great, colors are great and the textures are great. What else can be said. :)

Also, is the CCC entry page up for you? Because it isn't for me...

Thanks. The entry page wasn't up for a bit, but is now as you're already aware I see :wink:

On 11/13/2018 at 11:18 AM, Kai NRG said:

The landscape here is really impressive, in part because of the colors but also in part because of the subtle slope.  Great posing on the ferocious beasts (are they called wargs or something?), they really look ready to lunge!

Thanks Kai! I realized early on that a slope would make the landscape much better, and am glad my extra work paid off.

On 11/13/2018 at 11:31 AM, pombe said:

This is ridiculously good.  I don't even know why I bothered to respond.  I have no advice to offer or criticism to give.

Thanks pombe :sweet:

On 11/13/2018 at 2:26 PM, de Gothia said:

Holy banana! Those ballistas are genius! Love the fact that wolves are pulling them!

The landscape with dk brown and olive green works great togheter! 

Thanks dG! I built the ballistas first, and think they actually took more time to design and build than the much larger landscape.

On 11/13/2018 at 3:03 PM, Henjin_Quilones said:

I love me some wargs, and they are put to great use here! The ballistas are excellent too, as is the base. The colors are absolutely lovely, olive with dark brown. Dark brown really looks good with lots of colors (I love it with sand green and tan, personally) and it makes for some great dirt. Even the warg posing is done well, keeping them looking alive and not all at the same angle. Good work!

Thanks HQ, it was good to put our numerous wargs to use. I agree that dark brown is a tremendous landscape color, and now that we have a good selection of parts in the color, I expect to get a lot of use out of it.

On 11/13/2018 at 3:47 PM, Ayrlego said:

The dark brown/olive green landscape looks fantastic. I really need to get a stack more dark brown! The ballistas are of course excellent as well! Great work!

Thanks Ayrlego! And yes, I'm sure you wouldn't regret buying some dark brown :dsweet:

On 11/14/2018 at 9:03 AM, adde51 said:

Awesome work man, that base is just fantastic (I somehow feel like taking a bite out of it, haha!). And like I told you on Flickr already, great use of those big wheels! 

Thanks Adde!

On 11/15/2018 at 1:20 AM, Basiliscus said:

The dark brown and olive green look stunning, as others have mentioned. Love the texture of the base and the way it gradually increases in height.

The wargs look good and the scene is well decorated. Great work!

Thanks Basiliscus :classic:

On 11/17/2018 at 5:20 PM, en_zoo said:

Massive ballistas! Love the terrain/base!! :wub:

Reveal hidden contents

.. and I'm soo jelly of those wargs.. :grin:

Thank you en_zoo. We used to have even more wargs, but gave some away because we had so many.
It's unfortunate that they're so expensive now.

On 11/17/2018 at 5:27 PM, LegoModularFan said:

Now I’ll have to remember the combo of dark brown and olive green! I really love how the terrain goes down. Great work on the ballistas too. Only amazing stuff in this MOC! Keep it up! :thumbup:

Thanks!

On 11/18/2018 at 1:31 PM, Grover said:

This is an excellent build, not only for the colors but also for the slight slope to the ground, the irregular base, and the creative use of the wargs.  I'm glad you posted this early, so now I won't enter the fantasy siege weapon category, because there's no way I can build anything close to that good, especially with that quantity of the rare olive and even rarer dark brown.  Great job!

Thank you Grover, but I would hate to discourage you from entering! You've already shown you can make some really excellent MOCs, and I think you should push ahead with a siege weapon build :thumbup: