Trekkie99

[WIP] Transparent yellow turmeric dyed Lego windshield

On 11/18/2018 at 5:21 AM, Johnny1360 said:

Great results indeed, looks like the real thing. I do wonder how permanent it is and how it would look on solid colors. 

I wouldn't do it with ABS parts, as they deform at such high temperatures. The clear polycarbonate parts can just about take it without warping. You can dye normal parts at lower temperatures though (RIT dye, etc).

If you want a bit of neon style colour, you can also break up a highlighter pen and stick the ink sponge type thing in.

Edited by MAB

This is my new favourite thread here. I followed the directions on the previous page but allowed my part to bathe in its turmeric bath for a good 10 minutes before rinsing.

KIMG0168.jpg

IMG_20181230_135334.jpg

On 11/22/2018 at 3:35 AM, Henchmen4Hire said:

If you put each piece in a piece of stocking and dip them like teabags, that could eliminate scratching if needed.

I was thinking....if you used a pot with an internal strainer basket, that would keep the pieces from touching the bottom of the pot and melting. Lower the temperature to a slow rolling boil and you wouldn't need to stir either.

71m1Iu-VBvL._SX425_.jpg

This is absolutely amazing. I've permanently stained a few of my clothes with turmeric, so I bet it lasts a while, but I would have never guessed it would stain legos so! I'd love to see if the stocking thing works, although I doubt I have any unscratched trans-clear pieces lying around to test it on.

With a little fear, I went to experience .....
Well..... 
Ran much better than I expected  *oh2*

32742488177_1214954fe1.jpg
on the right the original trans-yellow part

47632650442_f86ebca28a.jpg

Thank you for this.  I tried this out using a stocking suspended from a skewer so the pieces were protected.  The trans-clear pieces worked great.  The trans dark clear.....not so much.  The color was terrible and well, you can see for yourself.  A process that made trans clear look trans yellow make trans dark clear warp.  Also, I tried a bohrok canopy that is molded in two colors and used tape to tape over as much of the blue as I could.  The results were, ummmm, less than satisfactory but there were areas the tape protected so I'm thinking of trying again with something like liquid bandage over the blue areas.

48121957693_4b454665a2.jpg

48122019562_026f0201ed.jpg

48121922761_887e29f95f.jpg

-Tohst

This looks great, just like genuine trans yellow in the pictures. I can always use more of these parts for Blacktron models and definitely have to try it out. Does the color stay like that though or wear out over time?

I've seen custom trans yellow (as well as trans red and green) parts at various Lego conventions, but I think people used dyes to make them.

On 6/25/2019 at 11:32 AM, CP5670 said:

Does the color stay like that though or wear out over time?

I dyed the first batch about half a year ago, not seeing any fading.