Sign in to follow this  
knotian

Straight rail 3228

Forgive a newbie type question.

Why are the rails serrated on the top?

Was there any motor,wheel etc that was supposed to run on these tracks?

I would like to use these on some mocs (like overhead cranes) and would like to have some way to have a powered carriage run on these tracks. In the past I have used gears interacting with racks for motive power.

Thanx,

Ed

Edited by knotian

Hi Ed,

some of the first ever produced Lego Train Wheels have been serrated also. On the first engines, back in 1969, there was no rubber-band around the wheels to improve traction. So my suggestion is that the teeth on top of rail have been created to prevent wheelslip.

wheel1a.jpg

Intersting about the curves. Inner side of track was smooth, while only the outer side was teethed. I think this was because the serrated wheel was so slip-proof, that the different length of inner and outer diameter created some problems if not one wheel was allowed to spin free.

3230.jpg

3229.jpg

Regards

BrickMusher

5 hours ago, BrickMusher said:

Inner side of track was smooth, while only the outer side was teethed.

Since the two rails are different lengths, the other wheel had a longer distance to travel in the curve. If both wheels are spinning at the same speed, one must slip in order for both to arrive at the end of the curve at the same time (easily visualized by trying to roll a cylinder in a circle). The same thing happens in real railroading, though the solution is typically to use slightly conical wheels, so that the radius of the wheel can adjust slightly to the curves.

The 4.5V and 12V trains were designed to go up steeper grades, I think the official guidelines were one brick per 16 studs (rather than one plate of the 9V era) even after they went to rubber tires on the motor wheels.