PinkLloyd

Weserhütte W180 cable excavator

Hello everyone,

after my presentations in the Train Tech Forum, I'm now focusing on a bigger project. This time I'm trying to build the iconic german cable excavator Weserhütte W180. Although starting in LDD again, I'm also planning to build the model with real bricks this time.

Here is the beautiful machine:

post-14275-1245662549.jpg

My goal is to realize all the different boom variations. To do this the upper carriage will be build in a modular way.

The Under carriage is already done so far. I tried to make the drivetrain look like in the real machine, so the crawlers are connected to chain drives. Unfortunately there ar no existing Lego gears, that would fit inside the crawlers as in the original machine:

attachment.php?attachmentid=1157482

But here are finally the first LDD screenshots:

unterwagen_1uvic7.png

unterwagen_20mdxt.png

The upper carriage is mostly design so far, the technic part is still missing.

weserhuette_w180_1nccbv.png

The doors aren't finished yet. I don't have any good ideas how to close the window frames on top without making it look plump

weserhuette_w180_231cdq.png

The driver cabin contaisn several details. The doors can be opened manually:

weserhuette_w180_4reffx.png

I hope you like what you see so far. Feedback is always welcome!

Greetings

Luis

Edited by PinkLloyd

Looks good, but I'm afraid, that technicaly it is not so good. F.i. those axle holders for larger wheels, it seems to me, that under a (own) load they will brake apart.

Thank you guys for your kind Feedback :thumbup:

12 hours ago, Jurss said:

Looks good, but I'm afraid, that technicaly it is not so good. F.i. those axle holders for larger wheels, it seems to me, that under a (own) load they will brake apart.

You might be right, but I've already tested the undercarriage under some load and it is pretty solid. The main load lies on the small rollers. And the holders of the larger wheels are held by 1x10 plates from the bottom and on top. Maybe I'll have to rework that but I'm pretty optimistic ;)

Oh nice, another dragline and in system bricks! What is the scale? I don't like the cabin very much, while the quarter round tiles are nice, they do not suit the original much, they are too thick. How about flex axle or rigid tube? I would also change the mesh at the back, the solid wall behind it is not  very appealing.

Edited by Ivan_M

Thank you Ivan, you're right with the mesh, I've already changed it. :thumbup:
For the cabin, I agree that it looks a bit too thick. But I think these bricks offer an elegant way to realise the sidewindow. The rigid hoses might be an interesting alternative, but I'm not sure if I could get the radius at the top corners small enough while keeping everything in position and without using too much brackets, that would destroy the overall impression. Is there a way to mould these hoses? Maybe heating them up?

By the way there is no specific scale, i tried to fit the crawlers into a picture of the sideview and adapted the rest to that. ;)

As I have some private things to do these days I needed a while to achieve some progress. So here are a few minor updates, especially details of the upper carriage:

weserhuette_w180_53rcw5.png

Weserhuette used to build divided winches for many excvators. They were used to control the to ropes for the diffrent bucket types.
Here is my version of this solution:

winde_1h9czn.png

winde_2dve92.png

I hope you like what you see and as always I appreciate your feedback ;)

Greetings
Luis