Lego Mike

Grouping for sub-builds and such?

I'm still really just fumbling my way around with Stud.io and LDD, so I wanted to ask: Is there a way to group/lock parts of a project together so they can be moved, deleted, etc. as a sub-unit? I'm thinking of PowerPoint and how certain layers and elements can be grouped and manipulated without affecting the rest of the slide.

Like, if I'm working on a modular building, is it possible to lock the roof assembly together so it can be pulled off en masse? Or a wall, a sofa, etc.?

Select all the relevant parts and click the button "Group as Sub-Model" at the bottom right corner of the build window.

Ah ha... That makes suspiciously good sense. Thanks!

Actually, I think I still have an outdated version of both programs. Should've updated them to begin with.

For LDD, look at the top of the parts palette: there’s tabs.  Groups are in the third one.  Select some parts and the bottom icon becomes active (coloured).  You can make subgroups too.

Note that Studio doesn’t import LDD groups.

1 hour ago, Kevin Flemming said:

In LDD, you can also select the pieces you want to group and press Ctrl-G instead of messing around with the UI. Much faster.

But then, you can’t make a group inside a group :wink:

And by the way, and shameless plug, if you want to keep the LDD groups in Studio or LDraw, lxf2ldr can help you: 

26 minutes ago, Shroud said:

Does studio import groups from ldr?

Yes.

Hence the usefulness of lxf2ldr (wink wink nudge nudge).

11 hours ago, SylvainLS said:

Yes.

Hence the usefulness of lxf2ldr (wink wink nudge nudge).

Haha wish I knew that before I imported all my Mocs. Then again if I ever get back into trying to import them into games I might check it out.  I got my fighter into crysis once and a unity engine.