Kai NRG

Kaliphlin at Work - Day 8: Peddler

Kaliphlin merchants are known for their resourceful inventiveness, and enlisting the wind in their service is considered the very latest technologically.  Powerful winds blow across the Siccus Badlands, and provided you know how to take advantage of them, they can really speed the whole caravan thing up.

45752209012_39a8168e81.jpg

43984979510_ee1d979c57.jpg

This is my second creation for the Kaliphlin at Work collaboration, I enjoyed getting to use some light yellow!

45752222522_b280576927.jpg

This was actually a bit of a challenge to build, as the cart is pretty delicate and besides, getting one wheel in the center of a cart is always a challenge!

30862180907_e20cec75e1.jpg

45752204582_4aecf86033.jpg

Thanks for looking!  Hope you're enjoying this look into everyday Kaliphlin life, because there's more to come! 

Love the cart Kai, I can definitely see how delicate it must have been - looks like it could have been very frustrating to balance! The landscape looks great aswell, especially the light yellow. Great work!

Neat build, and a cool concept, but methinks it could prove to be a handful in anything more than a light breeze! I think having a second wheel up front for stability would be more believable, but I do appreciate the effort that went into this. He certainly looks like a serious peddler with all that stuff.

Something about the way this is worded:

5 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

...the whole caravan thing...

:laugh:

Great little MOC! Lovely parts usage on the cart and you've done a great job of integrating the light yellow, it's a nice addition to the landscape.

Awesome irregular landscape, Kai, love that light yellow there! :wub:  Great job with the cart as well, although I was thinking the same thing as Captain Dee about the wind probably being usually more of a problem than a help most of the time with only one wheel on the thing :grin:

14 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

Love the cart Kai, I can definitely see how delicate it must have been - looks like it could have been very frustrating to balance! The landscape looks great aswell, especially the light yellow. Great work!

Thanks Ayrlego!  Actually the balance isn't bad (between the minifigure and the wheel, it stays upright pretty well), but adding loose merchandise was rather a pain. :laugh:

10 hours ago, Captain Dee said:

Neat build, and a cool concept, but methinks it could prove to be a handful in anything more than a light breeze! I think having a second wheel up front for stability would be more believable, but I do appreciate the effort that went into this. He certainly looks like a serious peddler with all that stuff.

Something about the way this is worded:

:laugh:

Ah well, it has it's quirks! :tongue:  I got inspiration from this image, although the proportions underwent some changes, but anyhow I suppose it ought to be possible although you'd better keep an eye out sharp for unusually strong winds and get the sail down before they hit...  Anyhow he probably had a second wheel but sold it for a bargain he couldn't resist. :laugh:

Thanks!

8 hours ago, Basiliscus said:

Great little MOC! Lovely parts usage on the cart and you've done a great job of integrating the light yellow, it's a nice addition to the landscape.

Thanks!  I love light yellow! :grin:

1 hour ago, Garmadon said:

Awesome irregular landscape, Kai, love that light yellow there! :wub:  Great job with the cart as well, although I was thinking the same thing as Captain Dee about the wind probably being usually more of a problem than a help most of the time with only one wheel on the thing :grin:

Thanks Garmadon!  Bah, just imagine what fun it would be to half-run, half-fly behind such a contraption under a good stiff breeze! ...until it turns off course, to be sure... :tongue:

Love this idea. Could be improved by just going straight to having some kind of outrigger sand-boat.

That’s a really cool assortment of odds and ends to sell. I like for cart and sail idea too.  The pathway is done especially well.

Fun idea and well executed man! The colours are great and the yellow works really well :sweet: :thumbup:

It's weird, it's refreshing, and most of all: it looks great! I always like builds that have a ton of little items to breath life into it, and this is no exception. Great use of the basket all the way at the top, it adds a lot of character! 

I agree, the light yellow (almost) steals the show! :wink::thumbup: 

For constructive criticism's sake, I have one nitpick: the beret on the guy throws me off from the Kali vibe just a bit. That's it. :tongue:

Love the cart.  All the useful tools and things in that small of a cart is impressive.  The base is done very well, I like how is slopes.  Nice job.  

On 11/10/2018 at 2:19 PM, mccoyed said:

Love this idea. Could be improved by just going straight to having some kind of outrigger sand-boat.

Thanks!  That's a pretty fascinating idea, might end up in a build of mine someday!

On 11/11/2018 at 1:22 AM, Muakhah said:

That’s a really cool assortment of odds and ends to sell. I like for cart and sail idea too.  The pathway is done especially well.

Thanks Muakhah!

17 hours ago, mrcp6d said:

The light yellow is a stroke of genius here! 

Thanks!  I'd been wanting to use that color in this connection for a long time, so glad to finally have the pieces!

17 hours ago, adde51 said:

Fun idea and well executed man! The colours are great and the yellow works really well :sweet: :thumbup:

Thanks! :grin:

16 hours ago, Exetrius said:

It's weird, it's refreshing, and most of all: it looks great! I always like builds that have a ton of little items to breath life into it, and this is no exception. Great use of the basket all the way at the top, it adds a lot of character! 

I agree, the light yellow (almost) steals the show! :wink::thumbup: 

For constructive criticism's sake, I have one nitpick: the beret on the guy throws me off from the Kali vibe just a bit. That's it. :tongue:

Thanks Exetrius!  Yeah, I struggled a bit with the minifigure... didn't want to make him look Chinese but for some reason a turban just didn't strike my fancy either...

9 hours ago, zoth33 said:

Love the cart.  All the useful tools and things in that small of a cart is impressive.  The base is done very well, I like how is slopes.  Nice job.  

Thank you!

Brilliant little scene, the landscape is sweet and the centerpiece is just right with all that stuff! Imagine hitting a rock and top speed though!  You would probably take flight, but the problem would be when you land, hehe ;) . 

Beautiful terrain, Kai! The cart is nice too, but the light yellow in the terrain is just lovely. I hope to see more Kaliphlinians (and others) follow suit, once they get enough in their collections. It looks perfect here. 

The very latest technology indeed - that thing looks like it can really get moving! :laugh: As wonderful as the cart is, the landscaping would definitely have to be my favorite part of this build, light yellow works perfectly in combination with the tans! Will have to try that at some point in the future - when I get more light yellow :grin:

Nice build!  Very cool idea with the land sail.  I love all the detail on the cart and the very nice, varied landscaping.  I'm not entirely convinced of the light yellow, but it makes a nice barrier between the tan and dark tan.  Well done!

23 hours ago, W Navarre said:

Brilliant little scene, the landscape is sweet and the centerpiece is just right with all that stuff! Imagine hitting a rock and top speed though!  You would probably take flight, but the problem would be when you land, hehe ;) . 

Thanks!  That sounds like such fun, I begin to regret not living in Kaliphlin myself just so I could set up one of these things! :tongue:

17 hours ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

Beautiful terrain, Kai! The cart is nice too, but the light yellow in the terrain is just lovely. I hope to see more Kaliphlinians (and others) follow suit, once they get enough in their collections. It looks perfect here. 

Thanks Henjin!   I got a few bricks last time I placed a Bricklink order with this color combination in mind, so it was great to have a relatively small MOC to test it out on!

17 hours ago, LittleJohn said:

The very latest technology indeed - that thing looks like it can really get moving! :laugh: As wonderful as the cart is, the landscaping would definitely have to be my favorite part of this build, light yellow works perfectly in combination with the tans! Will have to try that at some point in the future - when I get more light yellow :grin:

Wait a second... I was almost sure I had gotten the color combo from you! :laugh:  Let's see... it was your Winter Serenity build - ah, I see my memory was rather at fault as to the order of the colors, but that was where it struck me that light yellow, tan, and dark tan really go!  Though to be sure, what with mine being a desert scene and all, I made a rather different application.  But thanks, and I'd love to see you try it on a larger scale!

9 hours ago, Grover said:

Nice build!  Very cool idea with the land sail.  I love all the detail on the cart and the very nice, varied landscaping.  I'm not entirely convinced of the light yellow, but it makes a nice barrier between the tan and dark tan.  Well done!

Thanks Grover!  I do think it might just possibly make more sense to go from dark tan to tan to light yellow... but that would require a lot more light yellow than I possess...

This peddler looks to have a little of just about everything! Excellent basket designs, and that fabric element is always so useful :thumbup: Lovely landscape as well. The SNOT portions are smoothly incorporated and the colors work beautifully :classic:

An unusual take on a handcart, it certainly looks finicky to steer! I love how loaded up he looks, and the landscape with the cool yellow accent is stunning! :thumbup: (For some reason it reminds me of salt lakes)

On 11/14/2018 at 11:44 AM, soccerkid6 said:

This peddler looks to have a little of just about everything! Excellent basket designs, and that fabric element is always so useful :thumbup: Lovely landscape as well. The SNOT portions are smoothly incorporated and the colors work beautifully :classic:

Thanks SK!  Was fun to mix SNOT and studs-up in a landscape more than I usually do!

3 hours ago, Gabe said:

An unusual take on a handcart, it certainly looks finicky to steer! I love how loaded up he looks, and the landscape with the cool yellow accent is stunning! :thumbup: (For some reason it reminds me of salt lakes)

Thank you! 

hahaha I love the vignette, the guy, the cart, all of the stuff on it! :sweet: I also really like your way of building the terrain, I remember seeing more from you last year :thumbup: And say, what's the official name of that light yellow? It looks super cool with the 2 tans! :wub:

On 11/17/2018 at 2:42 PM, en_zoo said:

hahaha I love the vignette, the guy, the cart, all of the stuff on it! :sweet: I also really like your way of building the terrain, I remember seeing more from you last year :thumbup: And say, what's the official name of that light yellow? It looks super cool with the 2 tans! :wub:

Yeah, I haven't built much this year - I was away from my bricks for several months.  Hopefully I can pick back up more next year!  I don't know what the official LEGO name for the color is, but Bricklink calls it yellowish green.  Thanks!

This is brilliant, I love the terrain with its light yellow and all the stuff on the cart!

5 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

This is brilliant, I love the terrain with its light yellow and all the stuff on the cart!

Thank you!