Sign in to follow this  
Ayrlego

AoM: Mills Phase 1: Horse Drawn Mill

As winter draws nearer, farmers rush to process the last crops of the season. The higher fields are often far from the nearest mills, so simple horse drawn mills are utilised to process the crops in the fields themselves. Here two farmers can be seen processing the last of their crop.

45070357694_01f1a055e9_z.jpg

Nothing particularly complicated about this one, mainly I wanted to try a new base technique in preparation for my water mill project which is nearing completion. As a horse mill is an AoM requirement before the water mill, I figured I'd try it on that subject. I also wanted to try and get the pine trees looking straighter this time around... not sure I was that successful though.... :)

Lovely colour choices, I always keep olive and sand green separate but you've integrated them together well here. Love the base idea, and the trees are nice too.

Great little MOC!

This is a great little build, I kind of like the tipping trees, and the simplicity and low-tone key give it a everyday work feel (though it was cool to see a bright colored version too, great sugar cane as always but that's a different subject).  But I think you've got a little too much studs-up landscape going on here.  IMHO, the best thing to do with landscapes is to vary studs vs. tiles from grass to path etc.  By which I mean that if your grass is primarily studs, then it's better if the path is primarily tiles (which you kind of did for the dark tan path, though I might have kept the sunken plates more to a minimum as the contrast their shadow presents when photographed is often distracting when you have a lot of other texture going on already).  In this case I think it would have been particularly helpful to tile just about the entire horse path, as that is obviously beaten dirt - plus, it would make the minifigures stand out more.  I also suggest using wedge plates to help with the transitions from path to grass.  Just my two cents on a still well-done landscape!

Awesome build. Love the base particularly. One thing that was odd is when I looked at the photo at first, I was confused and alarmed by the horse because the angle and perspective make it look like it ended in a fleshy head (of the fig right in front) and I was briefly horrified by this pastoral scene undone by a moment of cosmic wrongness. Then I realized what was happening and relaxed. Haha. :P

I really like the two tones of the path and horse track. The horse track looks much muddier and well trodden.  The trees and base are really good too.

Nicely composed.  Don't think I've seen one of these without the full circle, but I think it works quite will.  I might have gone with a black horse to provide better contrast with the background.

The trees are awesome!  I like the irregular base, too.  I like how the path the horse has trod is not only lower, but is also darker, I assume signifying mud.  I like the blend of the greens, too.  The only part I'm not 100% convinced by is the way the horse is hooked up to the mill.  I know we're limited with what bricks we have, but something seems flimsy about it to me.  Overall, excellent build!

The colours are great and I really like the thicker base. Nice job on the path as well! 

The trees are much straighter here! They look lovely again, and I continue to love the combo of olive and sand greens in the ground. That is an interesting choice to only show 1/3 of the circle, but it does work. The pieces you used for the mill are quite nice, as well, with the holes on the top to pour the grain in and the grooves at the base (between the studs) for the ground flour to come out. Another excellent entry!

You got the hang of that base style quickly! Beautiful mix of colors, and those trees are something I'll have to start using myself :wub:
Very good start to your mill builds :classic:

Very nice! :)

And interesting modification to the trees :) Am I seeing it correctly that you have no central structure at all, or is it just hard to see? If no central structure then it's basically just the woven rings stacked on top of each other? If so, that's pretty cool :)

This is brilliant, as always the color scheme is amazing! The trees look very nice as well although I’m not very sure about their top. Nevertheless, keep the great work up!