shellshock

[MOC] Downtown Diner 10260 - Mini Modular

As I don't have enough space to display all the normal modular buildings, I was happy to get the mini modular version (10230).

Unfortunatelly 10230 never was continued... So I've build the mini modular versions published by Oscar (o0ger) the last years.

Since Downtown Diner 10260 was released, no buildable mini version MOC appeared. I found a few rendered pictures, but they use part/color combinations that are not available, illegal LDD build techniques or wrong proportions....

So I learned a lot of SNOT techniques at Oscars MOCs and build my own mini modular DD.

Here is the final result:

640x829.jpg 640x829.jpg

8x8 base plate. Fully buildable with 395 parts.

No illegal connections. Many many SNOT and offset techniques.

Use of regular available parts. No rare, high priced pieces. Lego PAB is approx. 35-40€.

Stability of all parts was checked positive.

Height fits the Lego mini modulars.

I've tried to contain as much details and proportions as possible into the mini version.

There are some modifications regarding the usual mini modulars "rules":

# At the backside there is an offset of 1/2 stud at the first floor relating to the base plate dimension.

# The friction pins are cut in half and the right side friction pin area has some gaps because of the ground floor offset. With removing the technic bricks and pin you can completely close these gaps using a 1x3 teal brick and jumper plate.

And I had to use a single colour option at the outer side of the roof. There is a 1x4x1 1/3 teal brick as Lego doesn't offer any suitable 1x1 rounded part to build a white/teal edge as on the inside roof.

In favor of the front view I decided using these option. Maybe there might be a better solution with new parts in the future.

https://bricksafe.com/files/shell.shock/moc-downtown-diner-mini-modular/MOC_DD_Teal_off.lxf

Attention: LDD file is missing one 36840 piece, as it's not available in LDD. So this one is not included in the BOM!

Also LDD still uses old element/design ID numbers such like the 1x1x2/3 roof tiles or trans clear parts. Newer parts are available and much more cost-effective. Please check brickset parts database.

missing36840.JPG

Edited by shellshock
Update rain gutter downspout

Wow! That's absolutely amazing. The amount of details you were able to cram into such a small space is simply astonishing!

Great building.. Love it!

I have only 1 question:

you used the 27925 white color, but that color isn't for sale!!! (At least not on Bricklink)

And as far I can see Lego hasn't used the white color of this item in any set.

How did you get these white color if I may ask you?

27925_white.png

This is awesome!  I think I like this version better then the full size one.

1 hour ago, Henk61 said:

Great building.. Love it!

I have only 1 question:

you used the 27925 white color, but that color isn't for sale!!! (At least not on Bricklink)

And as far I can see Lego hasn't used the white color of this item in any set.

How did you get these white color if I may ask you?

This part in white is in the new Betrayal at Cloud City - 75222. Parts list is not on Bricklink yet but it is on Rebrickable. You can buy the part on BL.

yes, the 2x2 white tile bow is very new.

https://brickset.com/parts/6172674/tile-2x2-w-bow

I've ordered mine via Lego Bricks & Pieces. 0,24€ or £ 0.22 or AUD 0.34
Please try the Lego shop replacement parts option to get these pieces.

Alternatively this element is for sale at BL:
https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=27925&name=Tile,%20Round%20Corner%202%20x%202%20Macaroni&category=%5BTile,%20Round%5D#T=S&C=1&O={"color":1,"iconly":0}

Let me concretize:

Use of regular available parts. No rare, high priced pieces. Lego PAB is approx. 35-40€.

Use of regular available parts as much as possible without any disadvantages in the design. No rare, high priced pieces. Lego PAB is approx. 35-40€.

Edited by shellshock

45 minutes ago, shellshock said:

yes, the 2x2 white tile bow is very new.

https://brickset.com/parts/6172674/tile-2x2-w-bow

I've ordered mine via Lego Bricks & Pieces. 0,24€ or £ 0.22 or AUD 0.34
Please try the Lego shop replacement parts option to get these pieces.

Alternative this element is for sale at bricklink:
https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=27925&name=Tile,%20Round%20Corner%202%20x%202%20Macaroni&category=%5BTile,%20Round%5D#T=S&C=1&O={"color":1,"iconly":0}

Let me concretize:

Use of regular available parts as much as possible without any disadvantages in the design. No rare, high priced pieces. Lego PAB is approx. 35-40€.

Hi Shellshock,

Thanks for giving me the correct link to buy these white macaroni tiles.

I have order them directly, so soon I can start building these great mini modular you.

PS.. forgive my bad english...

This is really cool, I never understood why Lego did not continue those mini sets officially.  I guess the first lot of 5 never sold very well.

nice job

I also don't really understand this Lego politics.

For example they could release every mid season a mini modular to keep people happy.....
This would be useful for people like me, which own the modular building line up but don't have the space to present all of them.
The mini modulars need much less space and are also very detailed and interesting in their own way

Update due cost reducing by replacing old parts:

While building the modular with real pieces I noticed that the rain gutter downspout I used in LDD is an old part. Last used in millenium falcon 10179 in 2007... Lego PAB & BAP doesn't offer this piece any more.
So this part ist quite cost intensive. By replacing the 4095 bar with the newer 
18274 (ID 6081975 - attention, LDD still shows the older 63965!) ) this is more cost effective, but the bar is slightly to short for the upper black clip...

To fix this I additional replaced the clip by a plate with tooth:

640x469.jpg

I already updated the rendered pictures and LXF file in the first post.

Edited by shellshock

Pictures of the final DD mini modular.
Especially teal and purple are slightly dull at rendered images.

640x853.jpg 640x853.jpg

Edited by shellshock

First off, your MOC is outstanding!! I love the amount of detail you were able to fit in it. I made my own version of the Downtown Diner a while back so I couldn't help but start comparing the two. Here's mine!

Downtown Diner 1Downtown Diner 2

I really like mine but I have to say that your model is far superior. Mine is just a digital creation while your's can be built out of real bricks. That being said, I was able to use parts that don't even exist. Hope you like it!

Edited by TYLER_w

I recently acquired the official Lego Mini Modulars set so I was curious if anyone had built mini scale of other modular buildings. This is really fantastic. Excellent work!

4 hours ago, fordtruckin said:

I recently acquired the official Lego Mini Modulars set so I was curious if anyone had built mini scale of other modular buildings. This is really fantastic. Excellent work!

I made mini modulars of the other buildings. I started making them a while back but I never got the chance to finalize them. They are pretty much complete but there's always room for improvement.

https://www.mecabricks.com/en/models/nKZvmGPb2G6

Thank you.

I've built Oscars Mini Modulars in the past:

A very very small update regarding the DD mini:
Replaced the last visible stud on top of the arch by a flat tile 1x1 (6213782). Currently still a rare brick.

Meanwhile I'm trying to shrink the corner garage by a hot wash :-)

update.jpg

Edited by shellshock

Things I like about 10260 Downtown diner

- Three floors
- Design of the ground floor.

Things I hate about 10260

- The pink car, which doesn't match other vehicles very well, a waste of pieces IMO.

- The big pink "Diner" logo, which doesn't look good, I will remove it, another waste of 

pieces too.

Amazing! Thanks for sharing. Got myself all the parts through Bricklink and built it. Loved everything about it.