Sign in to follow this  
Scene

No Man's Sky Starfighter

I decided to bite the bullet and pick one of the design variations from my Modular Starfighter MOC, and build it. I had to do a lot of cross-checking of parts on Rebrickable, but managed to come up with a solid design/style that I was happy with, and then went and ordered all the pieces on BrickOwl.com.

This is the final design I came up with:

Buildable Starfighter 01

There are some slight modifications to this design, mainly due to the restricton of parts, but the biggest change was the landing struts. I was never really satisfied with how they were on the original MOC design. With this ship the struts actually retract/rotate into the undercarriage as seen in this pic:

Buildable Starfighter 02

I'll post some photos of the finished product once all the parts arrive. For anyone interested, the total cost of the parts (1084 pieces) was around £165 including shipping fees on Brick Owl. Some of the part modifications I made drastically dropped the price down. The original design was coming in at nearly twice the price initially!

Edited by Scene

A couple of progress photos. I'm still awaiting some key parts to arrives, but it is starting to take shape:

Starfighter Build WIP 03

Starfighter Build WIP 04

The main reason for the live build was to iron out any design faults. There have been a few redesigns around the wings  mainly for stability/sturdiness, but over all the entire structure is very sound.

More updates to come...

Edited by Scene

Nice ship. I like the use of the older canopy and rudders. So did you encounter any problems yet when building the real thing or does it all go smooth?

Buildwise it has been fairly smooth so far. I did make some alterations to how the wings attached to the cockpit as I felt the initial design was too weak. 

The only hurdles I’ve had to deal with are obtaining certain parts. I’ve been making the odd change here and there, swapping in more accessible items. This has caused the project to take longer to complete, due to reordering, and has therefore cost more than I anticipated, but it has been a worthwhile project overall.

As a note, there are a couple of design features I have kept in that, at first could been seen as paradoxical from a build point of view, but I did manage to force the parts into place without much difficulty.

Edited by Scene

I had somebody comment on the LEGO Ideas page of my modular starfighter suggesting that a miniature version would be great, so I took up the challenge:

Mini NMS Starfighter

Mini NMS Starfighter Modules

Edited by Scene

Just a few more parts remaining to be delivered, but it is all working out perfectly. It is well balanced, and the modules connect well together:

Spoiler

Starfighter Build WIP 05

Spoiler

Starfighter Build 06

Spoiler

Starfighter Build 07

Edited by Scene

Last pieces finally arrived today...

Completed Starfighter

Completed Starfighter

Completed Starfighter

Completed Starfighter