Sign in to follow this  
ks6349

compressed during transport ? degraded quality ? or fake ?

A few days ago bought a new LEGO set from a local store that has been in business for years with good reputation. The shopkeeper gave me a new set from the store and the box looked so shiny and perfect. 

I went home driving and handled my new toy with care. No overreacting with extra protection, but everything was done with general common sense. No force or compression should have occurred

I found that at least a total of 3-4 pieces of the grey plates (8x6 and 8x4) for ground and roof are

not straight, a little bit twisted, they couldn't lie flat and parallel with my smooth table.

it doesn't affect a lot as you build up things though.

However , is it a quality 

issue? degraded quality? or was it because of force caused by compression between other pieces inside before opening the box? 

When I first played LEGO in 90s, I remember in those time there wasn't any pieces like that. 

I have noticed all plates bow slightly, most noticeable with the longer ones. They bow towards the anti-studs, that is the anti-stud side will be concave and the stud side will be convex. It is just the nature of the beast and due to the very design of LEGO. 

Edit: added for clarification, if your bricks or plates are more than slightly bowed or twisted, as I described above, then by all means they are defective and you should seek a refund or replacement. I was just trying to say a little bow is okay, if not normal. A picture would help. 

Edited by Johnny1360
Added some stuff

I have also seen a couple plates that have a "twist" in them, like two opposite corners on the diagonal are higher than the other 2 when laying flat.  As you noted, ks6349, it didn't effect the build much once enough other pieces were attached, but it was noticeable and definitely not just a gentle bow on a long piece.  I've only seen a couple of those in a random set here and there, so highly doubtful they're fake and more likely just Lego getting too close to the line when it comes to optimizing the amount of plastic used and mold time, etc.; in other words, a quality issue.

Thank All. Then I believe it's not my own problem. Thank You all 

Edited by ks6349

I had such a problem too with my just build Deathstar, more than 10 large plates were warped.
I ordered new ones at the service dept. at Lego.com (damaged bricks) and they replaced them wh questions.

Let LEGO know about it.

You expected a quality product, and you got less than that. Do not let TLG think for a second that they can get away with that.

10 hours ago, splatman said:

Let LEGO know about it.

You expected a quality product, and you got less than that. Do not let TLG think for a second that they can get away with that.

buying at local retail shop, instead of online. And it's the model retiring, but not entirely, I think it's no use telling LEGO

Even when buying from local shops they provide support for cases like that.

If you contact them, they'll send replacement parts.

One of the property of ABS plastic is that it shrinks as it cools down from a melted to solid state.  If it doesn't cool down evenly, then it warps.   The bigger the part, the more chances of that happening and more noticeable it is.

If the piece is unuseable for the purpose you bought it for, contact the store and/or LEGO. 

2 hours ago, dr_spock said:

One of the property of ABS plastic is that it shrinks as it cools down from a melted to solid state.  If it doesn't cool down evenly, then it warps.   The bigger the part, the more chances of that happening and more noticeable it is.

If the piece is unuseable for the purpose you bought it for, contact the store and/or LEGO. 

I will try to contact LEGO, but later, too far away from my home, I guess they

will need me to bring the parts to them, 2 hours drive away from me and 4 hours in total.

I'd seriously want to know , if ABS is inert or not? Will it react if I clean my LEGO with common cheap dishwashing detergent ??

Is it OK just soaking all pieces in water bath for some minutes? Do I need to rub each piece? 

Edited by ks6349

As I have said in the other thread and others as well, if you can use it on your skin then it is safe for LEGO. So yes mild dishwashing detergent is safe for your LEGO. Also rubbing with a non-abrasive cloth is okay as well. 

As long as you keep water under 40°C (around 100°F) it should cause no risk.

For replacement parts, no need to send them the original parts, maybe just a photo by e-mail to show the problem

On 11/10/2018 at 12:49 PM, antp said:

As long as you keep water under 40°C (around 100°F) it should cause no risk.

For replacement parts, no need to send them the original parts, maybe just a photo by e-mail to show the problem

Not even photos are necessary. I had the same issue with a set - a plate that was warped. I notified them via the website and they sent a replacement.

I have noticed this through building, especially my AT AT and Hoth, the larger plates simply would not 'clutch' onto other pieces, it's really warped. So should I just contact TLG for a bunch of replacement pieces? Wouldn't that seem odd?

5 hours ago, JarJarBonks said:

I have noticed this through building, especially my AT AT and Hoth, the larger plates simply would not 'clutch' onto other pieces, it's really warped. So should I just contact TLG for a bunch of replacement pieces? Wouldn't that seem odd?

contact them without hesitation if any of the pieces is not as normal.

They've earned enough and don't mind mailing you a few pieces and

more importantly, it will give them an alarm that they have quality issue

and wish they will make improvement.

Edited by ks6349

Lego will honour their commitment to quality even if the set you bought is second hand, i.e. bought from someone who isn't a retailer. Like sets bought off eBay.

I have contacted Lego about missing pieces for sets I bought from eBay, about pieces that broke when trying to uncouple them (like the wheel assembly in Technic sets), etc., and they have always sent a replacement without any quibbles.

Lego customer service is quite high, and it's one of many reasons I buy their products.