Sign in to follow this  
adde51

Kaliphlin at Work - Day 7: Swineherding in Wadi Khinz'ir

Outside of Mophet, as well as all over Kaliphlin, plenty pf people spend their days working in the vast deserts. One of them is Ra'ei the swineherder. The work is hard, and at times very lonely, but the feeling she gets from spending the days in the vast landscapes that make up Kaliphlin is truly priceless (I almost feel like I should be working for the Kaliphlin tourist bureau, haha!). 

31914308098_cff8e4b279_c.jpg

Ra'ei enjoying the Kali sunshine. 

31914313058_8c5aa69bce_c.jpg

So this is another one of my contributions to the Kaliphlin collab. Spent a little more time on the ground on this one :laugh: . Even though it's a pretty basic technique, I'm fairly happy with the look as it (sort of) resembles a dried out old river. Thought that fit rather nicely with the look I was going for. Hope you guys like it, cheers!

This is much better as regards the ground! The texture is sharp, and the different patterns all play together nicely. The tiny hint of olive suggests that perhaps with some rain real plants might come back, along with the dried river. Nicely done!

As I mentioned in the Kaliphlin thread, make sure you register Mophet as a settlement in the HSS. You already meet many of the categories (I can recall at least hospitality, agriculture x2, craftsman-merchant, laborers, and administrative), meaning all you need for hamlet recognition is a military build of some sort. And then you can level up from there!

Edited by Henjin_Quilones

Very nice job on the cracked desert sand, quite a neat collection of pigs there too although I am wondering where that one managed to find enough mud to get dirty in! :laugh:   The shrubs and dark orange stalks add a nice hint of vegetation to the vignette!

This is very nice. I get the riverbed feeling with orange earth banks.  I’ve always felt pigs preferred wetter places than deserts but they work well here rooting along the banks. The olive green is well done too. Mophet is growing fast!

Lovely little MOC! I take full credit for the improved ground design :laugh:

Love the mixture of dark orange and tan, looks just like I'd imagine a dried out river bed in Kaliphlin. Great work!

14 hours ago, TheLordOfBricks said:

Nice work, the dark orange creates a very unrestful color scheme, then again what would you expect with Kaliphlin. ;) Overall looks really nice though!

Haha, thanks man! Really starting to like the dark orange more and more :laugh: .

14 hours ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

This is much better as regards the ground! The texture is sharp, and the different patterns all play together nicely. The tiny hint of olive suggests that perhaps with some rain real plants might come back, along with the dried river. Nicely done!

As I mentioned in the Kaliphlin thread, make sure you register Mophet as a settlement in the HSS. You already meet many of the categories (I can recall at least hospitality, agriculture x2, craftsman-merchant, laborers, and administrative), meaning all you need for hamlet recognition is a military build of some sort. And then you can level up from there!

Thank you! Spent a bit more time on the ground for this one so glad you liked it. And I will make sure to register Mophet in the HSS, just waiting until I've posted everything that I have built so far (which is still a bit more, haha!).

14 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

Very nice job on the cracked desert sand, quite a neat collection of pigs there too although I am wondering where that one managed to find enough mud to get dirty in! :laugh:   The shrubs and dark orange stalks add a nice hint of vegetation to the vignette!

Cheers dude! The mud is a bit of a mystery, haha!

9 hours ago, Muakhah said:

This is very nice. I get the riverbed feeling with orange earth banks.  I’ve always felt pigs preferred wetter places than deserts but they work well here rooting along the banks. The olive green is well done too. Mophet is growing fast!

Thanks, glad I was able to convey that feel! These pigs are of course very fond of the dry climate, their avalonian cousins would have turned to bacon within seconds :wink: .

54 minutes ago, Basiliscus said:

Lovely little MOC! I take full credit for the improved ground design :laugh:

Love the mixture of dark orange and tan, looks just like I'd imagine a dried out river bed in Kaliphlin. Great work!

Haha! Thanks man :laugh:. I still have a few builds coming up that I finished before we started posting so I'm afraid there will still be some that leave a bit to be desired in the ground-area...*huh* . But rest assured I have heard what you guys have said and as soon as I'm able to continue building (in the process of moving right now...) I'll be sure to give the ground a bit more attention. :wink:

3 hours ago, adde51 said:

Haha! Thanks man :laugh:. I still have a few builds coming up that I finished before we started posting so I'm afraid there will still be some that leave a bit to be desired in the ground-area...*huh* . But rest assured I have heard what you guys have said and as soon as I'm able to continue building (in the process of moving right now...) I'll be sure to give the ground a bit more attention. :wink:

I think that in the last few years the general standard of LEGO building has advanced dramatically - so much so that certain techniques (such as having a flat, single colour studs up ground) have become almost obsolete by virtue of the fact they no longer look realistic. I don't think the other MOC was that bad, just that in this day and age it makes the MOC look somewhat dated. Just my thoughts!

1 hour ago, Basiliscus said:

I think that in the last few years the general standard of LEGO building has advanced dramatically - so much so that certain techniques (such as having a flat, single colour studs up ground) have become almost obsolete by virtue of the fact they no longer look realistic. I don't think the other MOC was that bad, just that in this day and age it makes the MOC look somewhat dated. Just my thoughts!

I get your thoughts on the ground and in retrospect I probably could (should) have given more attention to that as well. And I agree with everything you’re saying, especially how the standard has been elevated quite a bit in just the past couple of years. The idea I had with going for that look was probably better in theory than it actually turned out, haha! Cheers dude! 

The ground on this one is good. The color choices are nice and you chose to break up the pattern in an interesting way. I definitely get a desert vibe here and though most people use just light tan (in creative ways), I like what you've done here as it implies a different flavor.

I like the fact that you have used some new colours for the desert! The cracked river bed looks really good and realistic!

Great work with the landscaping and as others have mentioned, the colours in this one look really good. Cool collection of pigs as well!

On 11/9/2018 at 7:36 PM, mccoyed said:

The ground on this one is good. The color choices are nice and you chose to break up the pattern in an interesting way. I definitely get a desert vibe here and though most people use just light tan (in creative ways), I like what you've done here as it implies a different flavor.

Thank you, glad to hear! Fun to mix in some other colours as well :classic:

On 11/9/2018 at 9:53 PM, de Gothia said:

I like the fact that you have used some new colours for the desert! The cracked river bed looks really good and realistic!

Thank you, I’m glad you liked it! 

On 11/9/2018 at 10:06 PM, Ayrlego said:

Great work with the landscaping and as others have mentioned, the colours in this one look really good. Cool collection of pigs as well!

Thanks! Haha, glad you liked the pig collection as well (I love em :laugh:)  

What a wonderful collection of pigs! And way to put them all to good use here :thumbup: The ground colors all work very well together, and I like the SNOT tan path.
The dark orange grass stalks add a nice touch of vegetation too.

I really like this build.  The juxtaposition of the dark orange and olive is really nice, and it works well with the tan bushes and paved road.  The dark tan fills in the loose dirt well.  Great idea for a swineherd rather than a traditional pig pen.  Makes sense with Kali since there's probably not enough grass and food anywhere for long.  Great job!

Nice scene and great color usage as others have already pointed out. The hint of green seems just enough for the pigs to unearth some roots to chew on? :wink: 

On 11/12/2018 at 9:05 PM, LittleJohn said:

What a wonderful collection of pigs! And way to put them all to good use here :thumbup: The ground colors all work very well together, and I like the SNOT tan path.
The dark orange grass stalks add a nice touch of vegetation too.

Thank you! Love me some pigs, haha! Glad you liked the path and colourchoices. :sweet:

On 11/13/2018 at 5:03 AM, Grover said:

I really like this build.  The juxtaposition of the dark orange and olive is really nice, and it works well with the tan bushes and paved road.  The dark tan fills in the loose dirt well.  Great idea for a swineherd rather than a traditional pig pen.  Makes sense with Kali since there's probably not enough grass and food anywhere for long.  Great job!

Thanks! Glad you liked the idea as well, felt like something that would be pretty common in Kaliphlin, with resources being scarce and everything. Cheers! 

15 hours ago, Gideon said:

Nice scene and great color usage as others have already pointed out. The hint of green seems just enough for the pigs to unearth some roots to chew on? :wink: 

Haha, thanks man! The pigs are getting by OK, some juicy roots are indeed hidden under the soil :wink:

Lovely colour combination here, the dark orange and olive green work really well against the tans. The 'crazy paving' style looks perfect as well. Nice work! :classic:

On 11/16/2018 at 1:08 PM, Gabe said:

Lovely colour combination here, the dark orange and olive green work really well against the tans. The 'crazy paving' style looks perfect as well. Nice work! :classic:

Thanks a lot! I think dark orange might be my new favourite colour, haha!

Lovely road design that works perfectly for Kaliphlin :thumbup: The dark orange grass stalks fit the scene well, and that's a nice collection of swine!

1 hour ago, soccerkid6 said:

Lovely road design that works perfectly for Kaliphlin :thumbup: The dark orange grass stalks fit the scene well, and that's a nice collection of swine!

Haha, thank you man (gotta love them pigs right :laugh:)! Glad you liked it!