Sariel

LEGO Ideas 4x4 RC Jeep Wrangler Trailcat Project (needs votes!)

49 minutes ago, Seasider said:

if it doesn’t make it to be an ideas set would you be willing to share instructions here?

Probably, but that's likely to be going far in the future.

On 11/9/2018 at 12:06 PM, Sariel said:

And I wouldn't put the abhorrent 42070 set in my profile pic, but to each their own :) The 42070 was only huge because it was full of air and empty space, BTW, and the price it came with easily justified 4 motors, not 2.

Sorry for late offtopic reply; that is why some of us have pets as avatars :wink:

IMHO the only interesting thing on 42070 Is the way rear chassis part is made stiffer using frame, the rest is perfectly described :thumbup:

On 11/9/2018 at 10:25 AM, Yevhen said:
Pros
  • Good design
  • Simple and effective suspension
Cons
  • 3 motors is nonsense for such a small model. Even the huge tow terrain truck 42070 has only 2 motors!
  • The worm gears are unacceptable for a toy that could be rolled by a kid when batteries ran out.
  • The chassis is made of black parts only.
  • The PF receivers and battery block take ridiculously much space inside the cabin! Wtf?!

Actually I really like black chassis and to have battery box at rear is good (my mocs are often to heavy at the front) and expedition Jeep can have huge water tank or even huge fuel tank at the rear :wink:

The only unusual solution is with worm gears, but with differential it would be ridiculously wide...

1 hour ago, I_Igor said:

Actually I really like black chassis and to have battery box at rear is good (my mocs are often to heavy at the front) and expedition Jeep can have huge water tank or even huge fuel tank at the rear :wink:

It's not about your taste. The chassis must consist of different colors to make assembling easier when using instructions.

So you are suggesting me to pretend that I see a water tank instead of the battery block? Really?

Guys, let's start agreeing with Yevhen or 50% of this thread will consists of just his posts about how bad this project is and how nobody can have a different opinion ;)

1 minute ago, Aventador2004 said:

@Yevhen you do realize this is @Sariel's version of a product. Most likely lego would do those mods anyway. If you don't like it, maybe you should just leave.

I dropped my only comment a long time ago. Then @Sariel started arguing.

Edited by Yevhen

Just now, Yevhen said:

I dropped my only comment a long time ago. Then @Sariel started arguing.

Actually, you posted three separate posts in this thread before I even answered. Ever considered changing your nickname to "Duracell"? Because you just keep going and going and going ;)

1 hour ago, Yevhen said:

It's not about your taste. The chassis must consist of different colors to make assembling easier when using instructions.

So you are suggesting me to pretend that I see a water tank instead of the battery block? Really?

Why do you think that LEGO Unimog U400 (set 8110) has such position of battery box and motor? If you do not believe me please google for Unimog U400...and about water tank I suggest you to look Gods must be crazy II - it is just one example; what you you think is in Dakar trucks at the back  - picnic basket? You should not pretend, but little imagination should not harm and LEGO is hobby of compromises :wink:

52 minutes ago, Sariel said:

Guys, let's start agreeing with Yevhen or 50% of this thread will consists of just his posts about how bad this project is and how nobody can have a different opinion ;)

Well there are always our polite admins :wink:

And about that that fact how nobody can have a different  opinions; I hear in my country (Croatia) such things from so-called Democrats, Anti-fascists or how ever they call them self in Media every day; anyone who have different opinions is a fascist...so I do not bother about it, look at this way - perhaps tread could pull more interests and more votes as contra-reaction... :wink:

And about your approach - do not bother; number of your review followers and viewers tels true sorry 

Edited by I_Igor

I know when a MOC is beautiful on the outside but everyone know it too, but I think I know when a MOC is beautiful on the inside and I don´t have that impression with all your MOCs yet and this is primary in small MOCs in 3 or 4 small MOCs more you will do awesome things for sure. Of course I can be wrong, it's just an opinion based on a perception that can not be explained.

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 7:50 PM, I_Igor said:

The only unusual solution is with worm gears, but with differential it would be ridiculously wide...

An interesting fact: worm gear-based angle transmission almost doesn't have a torque twist and is safe for pendular suspensions. I tried some different variations with different gears and it seems that the worm gear just can't tilt the axle due to a ratio and angle.

4 hours ago, Void_S said:

An interesting fact: worm gear-based angle transmission almost doesn't have a torque twist and is safe for pendular suspensions. I tried some different variations with different gears and it seems that the worm gear just can't tilt the axle due to a ratio and angle.

that is interesting indeed :thumbup:

On 11/10/2018 at 8:11 PM, Sariel said:

Pretty sure the same could be said about the pop-up book.

Huh? I've never heard that set being put that way though I may not be reading enough blogs, forums or reviews.

I might have to respectfully disagree with that if it's actually mentioned though. Personally, I think that it's one of the best ideas sets in the current range that's turned into actual sets. It shows on what good potentials that Ideas could give.

Just my two cents there.

Edited by JJ Tong (zfogshooterz)

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 1:54 AM, Saberwing40k said:

I feel like Lego Ideas is less a platform for fan creations, and more for getting Lego some easy ideas for licensed themes

Which is exactly what it should be. lego Ideas is not meant to be a MOC sharing site. It's meant to be an idea generating and viability testing site for TLC.

And seeing what sets have come out of it, I think it works pretty great.

And the fact that Ideas is meant to generate ideas for TLC, I think the motivation to post an idea there is because you have an idea that you think would be great if Lego would do that. Personally, I think that trying to get a Technic set out there just for the sake of having a Technic Ideas set, is not the right motivation. While this Jeep looks great as a MOC and as a model, and would indeed be a very nice set, I doubt it is going to win over TLC reviewers as a viable idea, because I'm afraid it's not different enough from existing sets. It's basically a licenced 42065. I think what ideas sets have in common is that they are things that would never have happened without Ideas. I can't imagine that a Jeep or similar all-terrain car is not already on Technic designers's wish lists.

I think for a Jeep to work on Ideas, it must cater to Jeep fans, not only to Technic fans (or even Lego fans). Technic is merely the medium used to express the idea. Personally, I have doubts that Jeep fans want a functional RC Technic Jeep, rather than just a good-looking Lego Jeep.

By the way, I think many, of not all (I haven't seen them all), Technic Ideas submissions suffer from this. If the "Technic-ness" seems part of the idea, it reduces the potential customer base to a small fraction, because the large majority of Lego fans are not Technic fans.

That's pretty well put there. This gives me a much clearer perspective into this. This jeep looks real good, I'll admit, however, I've already felt that it somewhat doesn't really fit in the ideas theme in some way. And your explanation just nailed it. The jeep seems too generic to be unique enough to be an ideas set. I would find it more appealing just as a set under the TECHNIC banner.

To think of it, for example, the Saturn V, Old Fishing Store, Ship in the Bottle, Maze, Pop-Up book seems to have nowhere to go with the other themes and that could be one of the reasons they get picked, they're unique in a way that no other current theme/banner could take them which is also what made ideas different. Even licensed sets from ideas is unique as I don't see TLG would do a line of sets on that. That is also why I agree on the factor of TLG not allowing ideas sets based on existing IP. TLG might as well put that idea into that existing theme as to not mess up the ideas line.

I'm also seeing that Ideas sets cater to a wider spectrum of consumers (though I guess it's quite obvious). I'm primarily a collector of LEGO Action Themes and Constractions but I would find sets like the Old Fishing Store, Ship in a Bottle, and Pop-Up book real appealing.

Edited by JJ Tong (zfogshooterz)

On 11/12/2018 at 11:28 AM, Erik Leppen said:

Personally, I have doubts that Jeep fans want a functional RC Technic Jeep, rather than just a good-looking Lego Jeep.

I would be surprised if fans of driving Jeeps would prefer a static model over a motorized one that they can drive, but I may be wrong. All in all, you make it sound like Technic is some ugly duckling of the Lego world that nobody wants to see on Ideas. I don't think it's true. Technic continues to be one of the best-selling Lego themes, and I think it appeals to a whole lot of people who have little interest in yet another space vessel or a building. Plus, on the other hand, does anybody remember the Ideas Doctor Who set? Lego saw fit to make it happen, even though I doubt it appealed to anyone other than hardcore Doctor Who fans, and probably not even all of them. Clearly, a universal appeal is not a requirement here.

Edited by Sariel

42 minutes ago, Sariel said:

I would be surprised if fans of driving Jeeps would prefer a static model over a motorized one that they can drive, but I may be wrong. All in all, you make it sound like Technic is some ugly duckling of the Lego world that nobody wants to see on Ideas. I don't think it's true. Technic continues to be one of the best-selling Lego themes, and I think it appeals to a whole lot of people who have little interest in yet another space vessel or a building. Plus, on the other hand, does anybody remember the Ideas Doctor Who set? Lego saw fit to make it happen, even though I doubt it appealed to anyone other than hardcore Doctor Who fans, and probably not even all of them. Clearly, a universal appeal is not a requirement here.

1) Your model is half baked. Somehow you failed to build a mediocre small RC car...

2) Your model brings nothing new among the existing and future Lego Technic sets.

1 hour ago, Yevhen said:

1) Your model is half baked. Somehow you failed to build a mediocre small RC car...

2) Your model brings nothing new among the existing and future Lego Technic sets.

Good lord you’re tooting your own horn a bit there champ, you’ve made your point clear already. If that 42070’s in your picture is anything to go by then you’re in no position to throw “half-baked” around.

@Sariel I think Technic is an ugly duckling, because the average size and volume of the pieces makes it harder to build something more accurate that people would buy, whereas with System Lego it tends to be easier to make something shapely and smooth. I’d argue that it’s fairly safe to say the general public prefers form over function. If yours was built with system then I dare say it would be easier to gain support.

On the topic of the Doctor Who set, I’m pretty sure that only won because of how potent the fanbase is, as well as it being mostly located on the internet, so news of a Lego set would spread quickly. The same probably can’t be said for Jeep owners, who are on average likely older and less internet-focused, not to mention less rabid.

Edited by Bartybum

12 hours ago, Sariel said:

All in all, you make it sound like Technic is some ugly duckling of the Lego world

From a looks perspective, that indeed what I think. There's a reason that all other themes use System parts (except maybe a few action figures) :) Personally, I suspect there's less cross-pollination between Technic and another theme, than between two other themes, because all other themes use the same medium.

But your point about Doctor Who is valid and I hope my doubts turn out to be wrong :) You're well on your way with 1200+ supporters already, so keep going! :excited:

58 minutes ago, Erik Leppen said:

From a looks perspective, that indeed what I think. There's a reason that all other themes use System parts (except maybe a few action figures) :) Personally, I suspect there's less cross-pollination between Technic and another theme, than between two other themes, because all other themes use the same medium.

Technic is about Technic. The goal for technic designers is to put functions in a simple design. Never ever we will se something like this.

30905900627_cc73343cb2_c.jpg

lots of functions, but to much focused on design. for this they should reboot Model team

It can be argued that Model Team has been indeed rebooted - in form of the Creator Advanced cars. The recent sets such as the Ferrari F40 or the VW Beetle (the new surfing one, not the old blocky one) seem pretty close to what the Model Team has been about. Interestingly, from what I heard the Ideas Caterham car set - which I suppose was the closest to Model Team of all the Ideas sets so far - was apparently a flop. There has been, in fact, a number of flops among Ideas sets, the Exo-suit set is another example, so just getting the 10k votes and Lego's approval doesn't automatically translate into winning on the market.

It can also be argued that the overall looks of the Technic sets have been steadily improving since Lego introduced the current generation of Technic panels, and started using stickers en masse. Compare, for example, the 42048 and 8842 sets. Personally, I think that especially with large-scale supercars, a well-built Technic model just looks sexier than a blocky, angular, studded System model.

Edited by Sariel