Sariel

LEGO Ideas 4x4 RC Jeep Wrangler Trailcat Project (needs votes!)

38 minutes ago, Void_S said:

It should make this model cheaper following the scheme "one function - one motor", there is no so many TLG models with two or more motors in a drivetrain. Or put a single L-Motor keeping the space for adding the second one.

@Sariel This is a worthy note, 1 L-motor only, and keep the space for additional as upgrade ability! Lower set price, but in case extra sell due to extra motor purchase - could be win-win for project success and for TLG marketing* / aftermarket sales. Maybe something useful for project update, fingers crossed! :classic:

edit: marketing blabla

* Drive through any obstacles with this powerfull 4x4 Jeep with ease! If You want enormous performance, the model is easily upgradable with additional L-motor, to double the power! Let's rock!

Edited by agrof

Pros
  • Good design
  • Simple and effective suspension
Cons
  • 3 motors is nonsense for such a small model. Even the huge tow terrain truck 42070 has only 2 motors!
  • The worm gears are unacceptable for a toy that could be rolled by a kid when batteries ran out.
  • The chassis is made of black parts only.
  • The PF receivers and battery block take ridiculously much space inside the cabin! Wtf?!
Sariel is a talented MOC designer, but it looks like he has yet to realize, how a proper official Lego set must look and work.
Sorry, but I wouldn't accept this set.
Edited by Yevhen

I think something a lot of people get wrong about LEGO Ideas is that LEGO produces a 1:1 copy of the submitted MOC, which has never happened. 

4 minutes ago, LvdH said:

I think something a lot of people get wrong about LEGO Ideas is that LEGO produces a 1:1 copy of the submitted MOC, which has never happened. 

Then why don't him create a proper model from the scratch, that doesn't need rebuilding?

1 hour ago, Yevhen said:
Even the huge tow terrain truck 42070 has only 2 motors!
Sorry, but I wouldn't accept this set.

And I wouldn't put the abhorrent 42070 set in my profile pic, but to each their own :) The 42070 was only huge because it was full of air and empty space, BTW, and the price it came with easily justified 4 motors, not 2.

Look, don't vote if you don't like it and move on with your life. I made compromises that I thought were reasonable. You're free to feel differently and to submit your own stuff to Ideas. The project is over 9,300 votes short from even being considered, so no need to lose any sleep over it.

Edited by Sariel

6 minutes ago, Sariel said:

And I wouldn't put the abhorrent 42070 set in my profile pic, but to each their own :) The 42070 was only huge because it was full of air and empty space, BTW, and the price it came with easily justified 4 motors, not 2.

Look, don't vote if you don't like it and move on with your life. I made compromises that I thought were reasonable. You're free to feel differently and to submit your own stuff to Ideas. The project is over 9,300 votes short from even being considered, so no need to lose any sleep over it.

42070 has 2 motors and 6 functions vs yours 3 motors and 2 functions.

And yes, somehow the truck can roll without batteries!

Just now, Yevhen said:

42070 has 2 motors and 6 functions vs yours 3 motors and 2 functions.

And yes, somehow the truck can roll without batteries!

So can a stone :) What's your problem, does it say anywhere that this project is 42070's competition? Did a set as crappy as the 42070 suddenly become a golden standard for judging other sets? I don't think so. 8043 was an excellent RC set, for example. And it didn't require you to come and switch functions by hand like the 42070 does.

6 minutes ago, Sariel said:

So can a stone :) What's your problem, does it say anywhere that this project is 42070's competition? Did a set as crappy as the 42070 suddenly become a golden standard for judging other sets? I don't think so. 8043 was an excellent RC set, for example. And it didn't require you to come and switch functions by hand like the 42070 does.

Judt read my pros and cons again.

It's your fourth post on a project that probably won't even reach that 10,000 votes. Relax mate.

guipvgh.jpg

You have done wonderful job, Sariel!

You designed something that is cute, compact and mainly playable. (In my eyes, it has a big potential similar to 42065 - Tracked Racer).

Moreover, instead of running endless discussions, you decided to let fans and TLG make the final decision.

Good luck!

I think this a great Ideas entry so gets my support. I’ve shown it to Jake & George and it gets theirs too. 3 votes to help it on it’s way.

It looks good and it seems fun to play with. It would also be a nice set to have the pieces required to motorize other sets.

It may not be different enough from other Technic sets o be released as an Idea set but I voted anyway.

Edited by Akbalder

Supported and shared. Love the looks and how it rolls - I'd buy this instantly, provided TLG didn't apply an extortionate 42070-style pricing policy.

On a side note, some users here who have never contributed anything constructive need to know their role and shut their mouth.

It's a nice little set, and has my support. I'm hopeful that this set could be the first Technic set to be approved for Lego Ideas.

Although, I am slightly disappointed with Lego Ideas as a whole, but this is a great model, no matter what.

Just now, Maaboo35 said:

How so?

It's probably the fact that their submission rejection rate is somewhere around 95%. Just guessing, though.

Just now, Sariel said:

It's probably the fact that their submission rejection rate is somewhere around 95%. Just guessing, though.

They have turned down some awesome stuff, true. Anyone remember poor Shaun the Sheep? :cry_sad:

2 hours ago, Sariel said:

It's more what they reject. Pretty much everything Lego has released via Ideas are things that they would release anyway, and so they do not release more niche products. Also, the licensing restrictions are asinine. I feel like Lego Ideas is less a platform for fan creations, and more for getting Lego some easy ideas for licensed themes, which is why they bar an IP from being submitted if it passes review, so that if Lego wants to do more sets in that theme, they can do it without having to pay fans that might have submitted that idea themselves. Also, they do not allow submissions for existing licensed themes, for probably the same reasons.

@Sariel I gave it my support this morning. I’m a long term fan of your builds and follow you on YouTube. Good luck with reaching the target. Unfortunately I can’t see it getting past review stage as it doesn’t fit into the mould of all the ideas sets so far, but who knows perhaps you’re the person to break that.

2 hours ago, Seasider said:

@Sariel it doesn’t fit into the mould of all the ideas sets so far

Pretty sure the same could be said about the pop-up book.

Yes but there hasn’t been a Technic model that’s made it through ideas, they’re all system built.

if it doesn’t make it to be an ideas set would you be willing to share instructions here?

Edited by Seasider