Sariel

LEGO Ideas 4x4 RC Jeep Wrangler Trailcat Project (needs votes!)

So here's the idea: seeing as all large and complex Technic submissions have failed on LEGO Ideas so far, I set out to create a very small and simple, yet fully functional 4x4 crawler. This is the result, which can be considered the 9398 set on a budget ;) as it offers pretty much the same functionality in a considerably smaller package.

If you're willing to give this project a shot at becoming a set (a Technic Ideas set would be nice, at long last), please support it here: https://ideas.lego.com/projects/ba4cebf3-1f80-497d-9ecb-faee2dbc1df3

Photos and description: http://sariel.pl/2018/11/4x4-jeep-wrangler-trailcat/

Edited by Sariel

Far from ideal, I know, but one needs to compromise at this scale. It's still better than open diffs ;)

I just love it! And not because it's lime :classic: The resemblance with the real car is amazing, honestly. And the transmission is compact and solid. Supported it already, great job!

Jeep is awesome. Good luck!

This project could be released as a regular Technic set. I think it's a problem, because Lego preffers some kind of unusual stuff for Ideas series.

Edited by tadzik

Sweet model. I like the color scheme most. Supported already :thumbup:

I said this too many times, but "finally this model really has a chance to succeed on Ideas"

Edited by Lipko

10000 supports should not be a problem with Sariels Fanbase, but to come to a product is something completely different.

I don’t think Technic models have failed because they’re too large, but because they’re Technic, which is already a theme. So as cool as this is I don’t think it’ll get accepted. Either way, nice moc.

Pretty cool, supported. Eerily similar to what I am working on currently albeit a bit larger. Hope you don't mind if a borrow some of the body shaping ideas. 

Very nice! I so want a Technic Ideas set...

8 hours ago, efferman said:

10000 supports should not be a problem with Sariels Fanbase, but to come to a product is something completely different.

Good point...

8 hours ago, Bartybum said:

I don’t think Technic models have failed because they’re too large, but because they’re Technic, which is already a theme.

That is completely wrong. Not only LEGO never claimed that Technic is banned from Ideas somehow, but the Ideas designers specifically told me that they are welcoming Technic submissions and looking forward to a suitable project.

While the model is great for its scale and is excellent as a MOC it just doesn't have this appeal required for an Ideas set. Tbh, model is just too generic and cannot even be recognised as JEEP.

Think out side of the box, something that a non-LEGO fan person would be interested in purchasing for a worthy Ideas project.

Edited by zux

Very cool Jeep, stylish and well working! :thumbup:

I am also a bit on skeptical side, but rather due to the expected price. There is still a lot electric component packed into, which will be the biggest part of the cost packet. People will justify harder the price for a cute little model, when they can get a twice as big rig for the similar amount of money (9398, 42070). Yes, size still matters, especially for children.

Also another point why I am on this opinion, is the voting surface. I didn't see this before - only in Your video Sariel, been never registered to Ideas -, that people must set their thoughts regarding the set. TLG cleverly integrated the market mapping into the voting system... What worries me mostly, that people must set the budget, and honestly, I feel most people will underestimate the cost of the built in components - here, the size of the final product is misleading too. Big car=big money, small car = small money.

57 minutes ago, Sariel said:

That is completely wrong. Not only LEGO never claimed that Technic is banned from Ideas somehow, but the Ideas designers specifically told me that they are welcoming Technic submissions and looking forward to a suitable project.

What else would they say, they are LEGO employees. :classic:

Sorry for being on the sober side, I do appreciate the MOC, even better formulated: I love it! :wink:

Edited by agrof

Great MOC and I wish it a great future at the Ideas platform, but let me share some grains of salt:

1. As Agrof said, there is a money-size compromise, so I'd replace two expensive L-Motors with a single XL-Motor with some gearing changes. It should make this model cheaper following the scheme "one function - one motor", there is no so many TLG models with two or more motors in a drivetrain. Or put a single L-Motor keeping the space for adding the second one.
  2. The drivetrain. I don't feel very comfortable with worm gears as it doesn't look very save for the gears if some child try to roll the vehicle by hands. However I see no other solution to make another drivetrain with a given size and torque.
  3. 3L axles with pin that are sued to secure the battery block. Can they fall apart of you rotate the vehicle upside down?

As an AFOL member I'm fully happy with this model, it's great!

1. XL motor is way too large to fit in.
2. LEGO will probably just use gears or open diffs if this project ever gets approved.
3. The axles can fall off in upside-down position, but the battery box will still remain in place.

Wait, does the small car have 3 (!) motors inside?

Edited by Yevhen

1 hour ago, Sariel said:

Not only LEGO never claimed that Technic is banned from Ideas somehow, but the Ideas designers specifically told me that they are welcoming Technic submissions and looking forward to a suitable project.

Can you actually imagine Lego employees saying that they don't accept Technic ideas? I can't.

One thing for sure - if you don't try - you get nothing. May be unorthodox looks and offroad performance can go through:thumbup: