Hello again! After The LEGO Group published my previous rainbow Technic models on their Instagram post, I decided to spend some time and build a rainbow Chiron, or as someone on Facebook called it, a Rainbowgatti.

Thanks to @jb70 for the V1.2 instructions, which I got from rebrickable.com

Here's some photos of the build, as well as the final product. 

raibowgatti-01.jpg  

raibowgatti-02.jpg

raibowgatti-03.jpg 

raibowgatti-04.jpg  

raibowgatti-05.jpg 

raibowgatti-06.jpg 

raibowgatti-07.jpg 

raibowgatti-08.jpg 

Lastly, here's a timelapse video of the build (10 minutes video, 25 sittings, about 9 hours of total build time)

I have to ask, when you build these do you strategically choose what "random" colors to use or do you just reach into a drawer and use the first part you get? Looking very nice by the way

Thanks for sharing.  I like what you have done, the Rainbow effect really pops.  

I also like how you organize your parts by displaying the actual part on your cabinets.  

Excellent

edit: after watching your build video I had a good laugh because I also use the same turntable.  Btw how do you use what looks to be a pair of golden pliers/scissored?

Edited by KD123

13 hours ago, jwarner said:

I have to ask, when you build these do you strategically choose what "random" colors to use or do you just reach into a drawer and use the first part you get? Looking very nice by the way

Thank you for your compliment. I have a few separate Technic parts in a row with all the colours I have for beams. If red (as an example) is next, I will pick the beam from the drawer and put it to the back of the 'list'. Sorry for crummy photo, it will give you an idea. 

parts-in-row.jpg 

Often though, one of two things happen-

1. I do not have a particular element in the colour which is next, or Lego does not make it in that colour; or

2. When I join two sub-assemblies together, the colours clash or I have two similar colours next to each other. In that case I undo what I did, reverse a few steps sometimes to try to make similar colours not be directly next to each other. 

It's surprisingly difficult to make something seem random. 

3 hours ago, KD123 said:

Thanks for sharing.  I like what you have done, the Rainbow effect really pops.  

I also like how you organize your parts by displaying the actual part on your cabinets.  

Excellent

edit: after watching your build video I had a good laugh because I also use the same turntable.  Btw how do you use what looks to be a pair of golden pliers/scissored?

Thank you for your kind words. 

I've recently changed the way I organise parts, and want to do a post about that too sometime. 

I got these pliers from my friend who works in the medical industry, it has pliers at the tip and blades towards the pivot point, doctors use them for suturing. As this model required minor-yet-constant disassembly during the build process, these pliers make it easy to pull out a pin where my fingers may not be able to reach, specifically in areas I do not want to pull apart too many parts. Also, removing those grey or blue half-pins is a pain in the megablocks without these pliers, unless you can push them out from the back, which isn't always possible when you don't want to disassemble an entire build. 

lego-technic-pin-12-blue.jpg

It looks perfect! Reminds me of BMW M3 GT2 Art Car by Jeff Koons.

Such an amazing project, I love the idea and the way You give birth for Your rainbow models! :classic: :thumbup:

Fantastic! It'd be great to see LEGO build a life sized version of this Chiron :wink:

2 hours ago, zux said:

It looks perfect! Reminds me of BMW M3 GT2 Art Car by Jeff Koons.

Never knew this existed, had to go look it up. I can see the similarities ;)

131129823.jpg?itok=C-mt_yll

20 hours ago, kraai said:

It's surprisingly difficult to make something seem random

Agreed- making things random is by no means easy :laugh:

Anyways, this a sight to behold. Awesome!

This is cool as well as the other ones. To me though it makes the Bugatti look not so good, I do appreciate the effort that goes into creating it also but I sure do hope this doesn't become a thing with TLG and remains a fan mod. 

Amazing! I like the result very much. Great that you managed to apply this consistently to such a big and dense model.