Sign in to follow this  
adde51

Kaliphlin at Work - Day 6: Ha'ri the potter

Ha'ri the potter (yeah, I named him that...) spends every day at the big marketplace in Mophet. His stand is right by the large gate so often times he is one of the first to greet the people visiting. Using clay from the reddish soil that is common in Mophet, his pots have become increasingly popular and business has lately been very good. 

31898290238_aa3b21fbc8_c.jpg

My third contribution to the Kaliphlin collab. Hope you like it :classic:  (as more is on the way, haha!). 

Good job with an all-LEGO scene (as seems to be a trend in the KaW collab)! I think the ground texture could be improved to match what you did in the street outside the stable, but the scene is well composed. The thing that sticks out to me is the tan plate that attaches the canopy to the wall - for some reason it bothers me a bunch. Another good build, though, and it is a delight to see these snapshots of Kaliphlin life. 

The only other thing I want to add is that I would not trust that dwarf so close to a bunch of fragile pots carrying a giant hammer... or is it "if you break it, you buy it"?

12 minutes ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

Good job with an all-LEGO scene (as seems to be a trend in the KaW collab)! I think the ground texture could be improved to match what you did in the street outside the stable, but the scene is well composed. The thing that sticks out to me is the tan plate that attaches the canopy to the wall - for some reason it bothers me a bunch. Another good build, though, and it is a delight to see these snapshots of Kaliphlin life. 

The only other thing I want to add is that I would not trust that dwarf so close to a bunch of fragile pots carrying a giant hammer... or is it "if you break it, you buy it"?

Thanks again man, that tan plate bothers me too but I didn’t notice it until I posted the pic (and now it really bothers me, haha!). I get what you are saying about the ground, which will probably be true for some if the builds I have lined up as well, but the idea is that Mophet is still a city that is being developed. So at this point it will be a lot more barren (studs showing) on the ground than what might be esthetically the best look. I will aim to do some adjustments later on though, with more tiles, etc. But I sort of wanted to go with that look in the beginning (not simply being lazy, promise :laugh:) now. And the ”you break it, you buy it”-policy is definately the reason the dwarf gets to stand where he is standing! Cheers! 

This is a really nice niche in the wall sort of build, I like how the dark color of the pottery pops against the tan wall. :thumbup:   Great colors for the awning too!

Edited by Kai NRG

Another nice slice of Kaliphlin here, lovely colours and presentation.

Others have mentioned the simple ground, I don't quite understand your response about how the city is underdeveloped so this results in more studs up? I still think that mixing in other colours such as dark bley, olive green or tan into the dark tan would make it look less LEGO like and more natural.

It's a lovely MOC though, well done! :thumbup:

Hah! I like the name of the MOC, brilliant! Also,the idea is great to every day post a little picture about Kaliphlin.

10 hours ago, TheLordOfBricks said:

Really nice work! The market stall is nice and there is a great business to the scene! Keep it up!

Thanks! More is on the way which will show the marketplace in its entirety :classic: .

8 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

This is a really nice niche in the wall sort of build, I like how the dark color of the pottery pops against the tan wall. :thumbup:   Great colors for the awning too!

Thanks man! Really like the colour of those pots too :laugh: .

5 hours ago, Basiliscus said:

Another nice slice of Kaliphlin here, lovely colours and presentation.

Others have mentioned the simple ground, I don't quite understand your response about how the city is underdeveloped so this results in more studs up? I still think that mixing in other colours such as dark bley, olive green or tan into the dark tan would make it look less LEGO like and more natural.

It's a lovely MOC though, well done! :thumbup:

Thank you, I get what you (and others, haha!) say about the ground and I agree that mixing in more colours would elevate the scene. The studs up approach was an attempt to mimic more rough terrain/soil (if that makes sense), the idea is to cover them with tiles later on as the city develops. But I absolutely get where you guys are coming from. Appreciate the feedback :sweet: .

1 hour ago, kahir88 said:

Hah! I like the name of the MOC, brilliant! Also,the idea is great to every day post a little picture about Kaliphlin.

Haha, thanks man! It's been a really fun collab so far som I'm glad you like it.

Great color choice for the pots - I hadn't even realized those came in dark orange :laugh:
The open chest with additional pots piled inside is a nice touch :thumbup: You've adapted very quickly to the Kaliphlin building style :classic:

5 hours ago, soccerkid6 said:

Great color choice for the pots - I hadn't even realized those came in dark orange :laugh:
The open chest with additional pots piled inside is a nice touch :thumbup: You've adapted very quickly to the Kaliphlin building style :classic:

Thanks man, glad you think so :sweet: . Been a lot of fun creating a look for a city, while also trying to stay true to what other people have established for Kaliphlin :wink: :thumbup:

This is great. I love shots like these because they imply a larger tableau. Also, I think the name is funny.

Nice use of the 1x1 round bricks on the awning stand - I don't think I've seen that before - looks good!

I like that the stall is tucked away in its niche. The stall and the walls around it are very well done. Ha’ri the Potter... and I thought my jokes were bad...

On 11/9/2018 at 7:35 PM, mccoyed said:

This is great. I love shots like these because they imply a larger tableau. Also, I think the name is funny.

Cheers man! This is in fact a part of a larger MOC so stay tuned...:wink:

On 11/9/2018 at 10:03 PM, de Gothia said:

Haha! Lovely name! Made me laugh out loud! 

Great litte daily scene here. 

:laugh: glad you liked it man! 

On 11/9/2018 at 10:08 PM, Ayrlego said:

Nice use of the 1x1 round bricks on the awning stand - I don't think I've seen that before - looks good!

Cheers man, appreciate it! 

17 hours ago, Muakhah said:

I like that the stall is tucked away in its niche. The stall and the walls around it are very well done. Ha’ri the Potter... and I thought my jokes were bad...

Hahaha, I had to name him that...:grin:. Thanks man!