Sign in to follow this  
LittleJohn

Kaliphlin at Work - Day 5: Daily Tasks

My second contribution to the Kaliphlin at Work collab. It was fun creating another immersive scene, this time making use of our newly acquired dark orange and medium dark flesh tiles for the courtyard.

While continuing his travels through Kaliphlin, Nym found work at a wealthy Lord’s estate tending to his gardens, in exchange for food and lodging. And of course, Nym could never say no to gardening work! He gladly accepted the position, and immediately began tending the plants – watering them, making sure the beds were completely devoid of any weeds, and harvesting fruits and vegetables when necessary. 

overview-1.jpg

More pictures and a behind the scenes look on Brickbuilt!

Comments and criticism welcome as always :classic:

Nice little build.  I really like the facade of the building has some nice techniques like the roof and the round windows in the walls.  The cobblestone work is great and the vegetation beds are neat.  

Another neat and orderly garden! The floor is really nice.  Looks like polished stone.  The background arch, windows and roof look really nice too.  I've got to get more tiles so I can do better floors in my builds.

I think it's quite funny how we've managed to have so many gardens, all in boxes too, but all quite different!  This one is great, I love the vines, the round windows, and the dinosaur tail - wish I had thought of that!  Real nice floor too! :thumbup: 

Another great example of what I call an "immersive" scene, I love the MDF/DO tiled floor which seems very appropriate in a garden.
The out of focus building with the round windows/round brick roof and the arch to the right adds a lot to the general setting :thumbup:

1 hour ago, Kai NRG said:

I think it's quite funny how we've managed to have so many gardens, all in boxes too, but all quite different!  This one is great, I love the vines, the round windows, and the dinosaur tail - wish I had thought of that!  Real nice floor too! :thumbup: 

By now we have probably established that this type of highly water-effective agriculture seems to be widespread in Kaliphlin? Probably for good reasons :wink: 

Lovely snap-shot with great depth! Love the little story as well :classic: :thumbup:

Nice garden, LJ! As Gideon said, it is a style that is undoubtedly popular throughout Kaliphlin due to the limited supply of water, so it is no surprise that every town and village seems to sport one. I think the blurry background is really the highlight of the build for me, giving the depth that sells the scene. It is hard to do that, in my opinion, building something that you know no one will see the details of, but it is totally worth it for the effect. For myself, I know my temptation is always to keep everything in focus and try to show off all the little details that I put into it, but I am starting to learn to let go! You are already there, and it is great. 

Nice how you involved your new character in the scene as well as in the KaW project! I really like the cobblestone as well as the little veg gardens (including those wierd flowers on the left!) Nice use of the inverted arches at the back too. The blurried backgroud looks also cool - I did it once, but can't seem to find the option on my new phone.. I assume you've used a proper camera, though?

My favorite bit here is the background. I know that sounds weird, but I really like the sense of scale achieved by the out of focus architecture. It really gives the impression of a tiny piece of a larger, more complex layout.

I have to agree with mccoyed here, the background is my favorite part here. The round windows, the arvhes... Lovely!!

Always a pleasure seeing Nym's story developed, and it's good to know he found a place for his skills in Kaliphlin :thumbup:
Lovely courtyard tiling and the small window visible under the arch on the left is a lovely inclusion :classic:

Lovely little build, the tall stemmed flowers look great and as Kai mentioned, the dino suit tail is great usage. I wish i could see more of the background myself, it looks quite intriguing! :classic: