Sign in to follow this  
Hollander

LDD MOC, military spacecraft

Hello all,

I know LDD creations are not as fun to look at as real ones but at least I enjoyed building this thing. :classic:

Ww2w3Bu.png

w4UDdRm.png

Edited by Hollander

12 minutes ago, K_W said:

Looks like a Halo version of a Consular class frigate from Star Wars! Either way, I like the look. 

Thank you. And you are right about it looking like the Consular class frigate, I liked the overall shape of that ship a lot so I decided to make a similar looking ship myself.

There is nothing wrong with digital creations if the build holds some qualities, and this one sure does :) Perhaps if yo dive into some renderings, you might get visually more stunning pictures than an average picture of a real model. The only odd thing about this is the essence of scale this presents. It basically looks to me like it's a minifigure scale, given the presentation on the platform with the small bushes and this red canister looking thing. But the ship itself within it's shape suggest it should be much bigger size. But then again the style of the faces and the resolution of details speaks for smaller scale as well. It makes for a strange mixture of impressions :D

It is amazing how a topic with such a bland, boring topic has such a gem hidden inside. The techniques are simple, design is basic, but it all is just so coherent, also fitting SW aesthetics perfectly. Blocking light gray and dark gray sections together is pretty awesome, each of the modules being nice on its own, but still matching together.

This definitely is a style which suits you. Perhaps try building something in real bricks based on this design? 
Also, it needs guns. What is it, Star Trek, to have its gun hidden? 

Edited by Jerac

On 11/7/2018 at 1:33 AM, Kristof said:

There is nothing wrong with digital creations if the build holds some qualities, and this one sure does :) Perhaps if yo dive into some renderings, you might get visually more stunning pictures than an average picture of a real model. The only odd thing about this is the essence of scale this presents. It basically looks to me like it's a minifigure scale, given the presentation on the platform with the small bushes and this red canister looking thing. But the ship itself within it's shape suggest it should be much bigger size. But then again the style of the faces and the resolution of details speaks for smaller scale as well. It makes for a strange mixture of impressions :D

Thank you! I recently found out about stud.io, which apparently has the option to create very nice renders for models, so I might look into that. As for the platform, you are totally right about that. It's just that from the beginning on I had the idea in mind of creating this landing pad with a worn out look, but it ended up being too small for the ship, proportionally wise. 

21 hours ago, Jerac said:

It is amazing how a topic with such a bland, boring topic has such a gem hidden inside. The techniques are simple, design is basic, but it all is just so coherent, also fitting SW aesthetics perfectly. Blocking light gray and dark gray sections together is pretty awesome, each of the modules being nice on its own, but still matching together.

This definitely is a style which suits you. Perhaps try building something in real bricks based on this design? 
Also, it needs guns. What is it, Star Trek, to have its gun hidden? 

Thank you! I am flattered, although I really don't think my creation deserves a lot of credit. I am not someone who is great at all with building techniques, or designing a strong and space efficient frame, or any of that, it's just that I like to build something visually pleasant, despite me being not a technical person at all. As for building this in real, I do have a collection of lego, but its not a lot, and I don't really have much space here. So I ended up messing with LDD from time to time a bit, but I gotta admit I would like to build something from actual lego again. Its just so much more fun to look at something real than a computer image.