Robert8

Chinese New Year’s sets -2019

8 hours ago, Nexogeek said:

I sadly doubt the Dinner and Dragon Dance will given they are pre-may release, the boat race might have a slight chance not sure when it came out if it even has yet. 

Take a look at my video to find out the release date, You might be right about 80301 and 80302.

80103 dragon boat race is now available via Toyco if you are in New Zealand!!!!  This means you will get it in Australia too or may be in store already!

On 4/26/2019 at 11:57 AM, Pchan1983 said:

80103 dragon boat race is now available via Toyco if you are in New Zealand!!!!  This means you will get it in Australia too or may be in store already!

This is a very good news. I do hope the stocks also reach the shore or the South East Asian nations so those scalpers can be laid to rest.

The local stores here in Malaysia will be selling the Dragon Boat Race as confirmed by store clerks and also social media posts. I also saw Singapore is getting the set starting tomorrow.

15 hours ago, Pchan1983 said:

Dragon boat race now available via shop@home in AUS and NZ

People are posting smug images on FB of 99 sets ordered at checkout for a grand total of $7910.01 AUD...with free shipping. What the actual F&@k Lego?! Doesn’t sound like they are doing a great job of fairly distributing these now ‘non-regional’ sets at all :wall:

1 hour ago, Markalus said:

People are posting smug images on FB of 99 sets ordered at checkout for a grand total of $7910.01 AUD...with free shipping. What the actual F&@k Lego?! Doesn’t sound like they are doing a great job of fairly distributing these now ‘non-regional’ sets at all :wall:

LEGO never said they were non-regional right away, only considered worldwide availability after 3-6 months.

Europe has no Dragon Boat on sale at all right now, with some luck in 3-6 months, and the New Year Dinner and Dragon Dance likely never will be sold here anyway.

Quoting LEGO: 

" Because of this feedback and concerns from you, our dedicated and most loyal fans, we have decided that regional exclusives launched after May 1, 2019 will become widely available via LEGO Brand Retail stores and LEGO Shop at Home after a limited period of time (3-6 months) of the initial launch. "

Edited by TeriXeri

I don't think the Dragon Boat will be widely available in 3-6 months either as it's released on May 1.  Only Regional exclusives released AFTER May 1 will become widely available.

1 hour ago, TeriXeri said:

LEGO never said they were non-regional right away, only considered worldwide availability after 3-6 months.

Europe has no Dragon Boat on sale at all right now, with some luck in 3-6 months, and the New Year Dinner and Dragon Dance likely never will be sold here anyway.

Quoting LEGO: 

" Because of this feedback and concerns from you, our dedicated and most loyal fans, we have decided that regional exclusives launched after May 1, 2019 will become widely available via LEGO Brand Retail stores and LEGO Shop at Home after a limited period of time (3-6 months) of the initial launch. "

Sure, but I was making a point about fair distribution, and to paraphrase TLGs press release you quoted, “...because of concerns from you, our dedicated and most loyal fans”. Why make the limit 99 when they know exactly what behaviour it will elicit? People will still have FOMO and 6 months gives flippers plenty of time to sell them at 2x+ rrp. It literally sold out within an hour.  

12 minutes ago, Markalus said:

Sure, but I was making a point about fair distribution, and to paraphrase TLGs press release you quoted, “...because of concerns from you, our dedicated and most loyal fans”. Why make the limit 99 when they know exactly what behaviour it will elicit? People will still have FOMO and 6 months gives flippers plenty of time to sell them at 2x+ rrp. It literally sold out within an hour.  

Oh I agree that the "buy 99 of a set" behaviour is stupid and abused often, I saw it happen when Xtra first released, eventually they had to put the limit down to 5 and it still sold out multiple days a year.

And then the people who buy sets in physical stores, is a slippery slope subject, some true fans have bricklink stores or resell MISB at times which is understandable and not a problem by itself.

I am more talking about the problem of people buying out a whole rack of 20 of the same set at once purely with the intent of money money money.

Edited by TeriXeri

18 hours ago, Markalus said:

It literally sold out within an hour.  

I know people sometimes use the word "literally" to mean "figuratively" these days, but I ordered a copy at 9:45am on May 1st, 5-6 hours after the comment here on Eurobricks saying it was available, so I reckon it was being sold for at least 7 or 8 hours before going into "Temporarily Out of Stock" status. The fact that LEGO sold it directly in AUS and NZ means that they did make some adjustments to try and keep it from being as much of a fiasco as last time, but I agree with others here that they should have capped it at 5 or so per order.

It's also quite interesting that the box for the Boat Race is smaller than the box for the Dragon Dance, though they're both the same price in AUD and similar piece counts. I wonder if LEGO had time to adjust between releases and make a smaller box so that they could fit more per case, or if they always intended a smaller box for this one for the usual mysterious "reasons"

What TLG should have said is that “sorry we’ve messed up and annoyed a lot of loyal customers...so we will release all regional releases - including this year’s three CNY sets - to worldwide stores with immediate effect/as soon as supply chain can manage...”

3 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

I know people sometimes use the word "literally" to mean "figuratively" these days, but I ordered a copy at 9:45am on May 1st, 5-6 hours after the comment here on Eurobricks saying it was available, so I reckon it was being sold for at least 7 or 8 hours before going into "Temporarily Out of Stock" status. The fact that LEGO sold it directly in AUS and NZ means that they did make some adjustments to try and keep it from being as much of a fiasco as last time, but I agree with others here that they should have capped it at 5 or so per order.

It's also quite interesting that the box for the Boat Race is smaller than the box for the Dragon Dance, though they're both the same price in AUD and similar piece counts. I wonder if LEGO had time to adjust between releases and make a smaller box so that they could fit more per case, or if they always intended a smaller box for this one for the usual mysterious "reasons"

Ok, maybe my time were a bit off. I assumed it went on sale ~9 AM. It’s unusual for the local S@H sets to go live between 1-2 AM in the morning on the day of release. 

Finally got mine and built it.  Here is my review:

I think this set is excellent and really captures the vibe of the dragon boat festival.  I hope Lego continues to release festival related themes but make it more widely available.  The set is selling out fast even in region available because of scalpers =( So yea, it's an excellent set but would have been even better to it's available world wide!

Thank you all very much for the info, the pics and the reviews! :classic:

Since I really like the Dragon Boat Race, it's great news that this set very likely will be available even here in Europe later this year! :thumbup:

I just came back from Korea and saw these sets at Lotte (curiously, not at the official Lego Store). Picked up the 80101 CNYE Dinner because they only had 2 boxes remaining, even though I suspect this set will be rereleased worldwide next year.

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 6:43 PM, BeyrouthLego said:

Does it Float video for the Dragon Boat Race set:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um2kKfSaXL4

A long time ago Lego made a fire boat and a police boat that did both float.  They had weights at the bottom that you attached so they would float properly.

It seems the Year of the Pig promo was very short lived, maybe to clear leftovers.

Edited by TeriXeri

On July 1, I was in my local Lego store and they had 5 sets of the Dragon Boat races for $49.99.  The manager told me they got them out of the blue.  They did not have the other sets, but I know my sister in law paid $80 a set for them for me in Taiwan.  Anyone else see them in the US?  This was in St Louis.

38 minutes ago, Herky said:

On July 1, I was in my local Lego store and they had 5 sets of the Dragon Boat races for $49.99.  The manager told me they got them out of the blue.  They did not have the other sets, but I know my sister in law paid $80 a set for them for me in Taiwan.  Anyone else see them in the US?  This was in St Louis.

I got the Dragon Boat on the first as well. Didn’t notice how many they had, I saw them put two on the little shelf behind the registers & grabbed one. But I later noticed they had a place on the shelf, but didn’t check the number. 

It looks like we’re not getting the other two unfortunately.