Robert8

Chinese New Year’s sets -2019

"The new sets celebrate iconic new year traditions. Chinese New Year’s Eve Dinner shows a Chinese family reuniting to celebrate the lunar new year in a traditional home. Often performed during Chinese New Year, Dragon Dance is a symbol of the Chinese culture and is believed to bring good luck to people. The Dragon Dance set features a team of dragon dancers, with a minifigure dressed as a cute pig celebrating the coming Chinese New Year of the Pig.

“These sets are special. They are the first sets we’ve created to celebrate Lunar New Year and the first time we’ve made sets for a specific country or region. We hope they bring a lot of joy to children and the young at heart during new year.”

quelle-lego-newsroom-1000x592.jpg

Source: https://brickset.com/article/39612

Press Release: https://www.lego.com/en-gb/aboutus/news-room/2018/november/bg-copy-of-steam-courses-for-chinese-schools/

Edited by Robert8

Love these sets, not a big fan of them being exclusive to China. Does anything think in time they will be available in the U.S.? 

"These sets are special. They are the first sets we’ve created to celebrate Lunar New Year and the first time we’ve made sets for a specific country or region."

So what was this set? And the following sheep, monkey, rooster, dog, pig sets? Don't they celebrate the Lunar New Year and they were made for a specific country or region.

10250-1.jpg?201212210210

They have also made sets like Team GB, DFB, etc. for specific countries before. And loads of location specific sets like Billund Airport, LEGO House, Lester, Royal Guard, Marina Bay Sands, etc.

The timing is so..... interesting

It's like they are rubbing it on LEPIN's face lol

Of course, I know this was a coincidence

32 minutes ago, MAB said:

"These sets are special. They are the first sets we’ve created to celebrate Lunar New Year and the first time we’ve made sets for a specific country or region."

Sometimes LEGO says funny things

42 minutes ago, MAB said:

So what was this set? And the following sheep, monkey, rooster, dog, pig sets? Don't they celebrate the Lunar New Year and they were made for a specific country or region.

They have also made sets like Team GB, DFB, etc. for specific countries before. And loads of location specific sets like Billund Airport, LEGO House, Lester, Royal Guard, Marina Bay Sands, etc.

Yeah, I think they definitely misspoke.

**** this for not making it available world wide. Looks like a Ninjago set. Scalpers in China are awaiting good times i near future.

These better become available through Shop@Home, or else the exclusive parts via Bricks & Pieces. I'm a big Ninjago fan and these civilians are really welcome to accompany my many ninja's.

4 hours ago, Robert8 said:

The timing is so..... interesting

It's like they are rubbing it on LEPIN's face lol

Of course, I know this was a coincidence

It was. Where do you see a connection?

6 hours ago, Exetrius said:

These better become available through Shop@Home, or else the exclusive parts via Bricks & Pieces. I'm a big Ninjago fan and these civilians are really welcome to accompany my many ninja's.

I’m hoping for B&P. We may get the odd piece, I’m not very hopeful for the piggy costume. The heads are the most likely to be available.

Not sure if these are gonna be available in my region (although it's quite easy to get packages from toy stores located in China). Of course as a Chinese I would really love to see things that celebrate my local festival. A Chinese house and a dance dragon are both mustbuys.

------

Interesting, if TLC keep this as a tradition so what is missing from the Chinese zodiac costume lineup?

Rat: currently none.
Ox: currently none. The only ox humanoid is Minotaur but his mold cannot be used for a costume.
Tiger: should be a yes if recoloring a Chima tiger counts.
Rabbit: yes.
Dragon: yes.
Snake: currently none. The Serpentine from Ninjago lineup can hardly be considered as costumes.
Horse: shoule be a yes as romving the horn from the unicorn costume.
Goat: currently none. 
Monkey: the gorilla costume might count, although abit relunctant in biological aspect.
Rooster: yes.
Dog: currently none.

But if the is what TLC really plan, that means they must hurry a mouse costume in the most recent CMF series. I'm not sure if I would like it to happen.

Edited by Dorayaki

4 hours ago, julesvincent said:

The piggy is the regular S12 Piggy suit with the head from Lester:

*insert image here*

Good detective work Batman!

4 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

The is a tiger costume in S14: Tiger Woman

I see that, but not sure if it could be a costume as the hairpiece design would hardly be considered useful in a CNY scenario. So the Chima tiger mold suit better IMO.

Edited by Dorayaki

I guess that this dragon dance could be some kind of automaton (crank driven, moving dragon)... If so, then it really sucks that it will be available only in China.

Woooo. I heard through the grapevine that they'll be in South Korea too -- though it's hardly "Chinese" New Year -- so I'll keep an eye open. Stuff shows up weeks and weeks before the street date, so...cool. Something colorful to look forward to.

Anyone get the set numbers for these?  The link to the press release takes you to a 404 error.  I will have to have my relatives in Taiwan find them hopefully.

42 minutes ago, Herky said:

Anyone get the set numbers for these?  The link to the press release takes you to a 404 error.  I will have to have my relatives in Taiwan find them hopefully.

The Dinner Set is 80101 and the Dragon Dance is 80102. They should be released Jan 1st, 2019.

On 11/9/2018 at 1:08 AM, Herky said:

They changed the link to the press release and removed those watermarked pictures.
Here is the new link https://www.lego.com/en-us/aboutus/news-room/2018/november/steam-courses-for-chinese-schools/

Edited by ultiminutes