mwp

Hello

Hello All. I'm Mike and I'm from Wales.

I'm looking for a bit of guidance from expert adult lego-ers. I've built an aeroplane with my 8 year old son and no longer need it so am attempting to sell it, does anybody know if there is much of a market for custom builds and if so where to sell them?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202491114742

It might just be that I have to dismantle it and sell it brick by brick, but it seems a shame.

Thanks for your time!

Hello Mike and welcome to Eurobricks!

There is definitely a market for custom builds, however this is more for instructions of custom models. However, you need to project your builds to the right people, from what I can see you've built your model in mind of your son, quite clearly with the play features and build style. Therefore, the target market for this product is children, but I reckon you'll struggle to find a child with £500! I wouldn't necessarily recommend selling on eBay either, the fees are quite extortionate especially when selling at higher prices!

Maybe you could dismantle the model and spend some time working on a version of it that is more sleek and falls into the category of a display model, which is what many AFOL's are interested in! 

There are many fantastic websites for advertising/selling/displaying your builds such as: MOCpages, Rebrickable, Bricklink, MOCHub and of course here!

Hope I was of some assistance,

Ellis.

Hi Ellis,

Thanks very much for your reply. You've been really informative and helpful. 

I suppose I should have given a bit more background. My son asked 2 years ago if I could build him a plane and I started with 3 seats, an aisle and another 3 seats. I kept running out of bricks, spending 5 pounds here and 10 there, over the last two years. It kind of got away from me and I hadn't realised I'd spent so much :)

But I see what you mean, it's basically not good enough for an adult fan, but too expensive for a child. The only person I could imagine buying it now would be a very rich parent of a serious lego fan child. 

I may have to just sell the bricks individually, because I don't really want to spend any more :). It's been fun though. My son did ask if we could build an airport to go with it...

Also thanks for your kindness, my friends responses were considerably more mocking and profane:)

2 minutes ago, mwp said:

Hi Ellis,

Thanks very much for your reply. You've been really informative and helpful. 

I suppose I should have given a bit more background. My son asked 2 years ago if I could build him a plane and I started with 3 seats, an aisle and another 3 seats. I kept running out of bricks, spending 5 pounds here and 10 there, over the last two years. It kind of got away from me and I hadn't realised I'd spent so much :)

But I see what you mean, it's basically not good enough for an adult fan, but too expensive for a child. The only person I could imagine buying it now would be a very rich parent of a serious lego fan child. 

I may have to just sell the bricks individually, because I don't really want to spend any more :). It's been fun though. My son did ask if we could build an airport to go with it...

Also thanks for your kindness, my friends responses were considerably more mocking and profane:)

Not a problem, glad I could help you!

Yes, Lego is very expensive it can soon get out of hand! For selling the pieces individually, I'd suggest starting a Bricklink store.

Hmm, that airport could cost you a considerable amount, especially if it scales with the plane! *huh*

Good to know my response was kinder than those of your friends! :laugh_hard:

Helo Mike,

Welcome to Eurobricks!

It's always a pleasure to see a fellow Brit in the community.