Sign in to follow this  
adde51

Kaliphlin at Work - Day 4: Mophet - stable

For most of her life, M'Usa Qi'run had worked at the small stable near the marketplace in Mophet. As a child, she used to help her father care for the horses and after he had passed she took it upon herself to carry on running it. Her temper was known throughout the Siccus badlands, an attitude forged by the conditions of her environment. Although she did have a soft spot for the horses under her care, her husband Hi'san was often the recipient of some less than caring words...

With Mophet growing, the business had gotten more and more intense. Merchants and travellers often used the stables as they passed through, for a small fee of course. M'usa had even started letting out a bed in the room next to the stable, as accomodations were still a bit hard to find in Mophet (for an additional, not so small, fee...). With the income, the couple had recently taken on a stable boy who was primarily in charge of cleaning up after the horses...a less than glamorous job in the scorching temperatures...

45737059081_58bd97fb6c_c.jpg

Hi'san the horse tamer going about his everyday work. The stable boy swetting in the foreground...

31865554578_90b9f4e158_c.jpg

Al-aqlu, a stonecutter who moved the Mophet after the war, is transporting materials to one of the many building sites in the area. 

31865555528_235a383858_c.jpg

So this is my second build for the Kaliphlin at Work. Figured (while also reading through HSS, haha!) a stable would be a fun addition to Mophet. Pretty happy with the overall look of it. Wanted it to be "more than just a stable", so I decided to put a small living-area adjacent to the area where the horses are kept. As I wanted to show this as a part of the more central parts of Mophet, rather than on the outskirts , I chose to go with a smaller buildning and make it a little closed off with the somewhat low walls surrounding it. Hope you like it, feel free to comment as always. 

Yet another very nice addition to the rapidly growing city along the Oil Road!
On that note, one of my favorite parts of this build is the road :classic:

I really like the mix of colors you've got for the wall here, in fact the dark orange is starting to seem like a Mophet specialty!  Great activity with so many minifigures too! :thumbup: 

42 minutes ago, Gideon said:

Yet another very nice addition to the rapidly growing city along the Oil Road!
On that note, one of my favorite parts of this build is the road :classic:

Thanks buddy, appreciate it :laugh: . Glad you liked the road as I realized it was probably (clearly) inspired by you Barqa builds, haha! 

24 minutes ago, Kai NRG said:

I really like the mix of colors you've got for the wall here, in fact the dark orange is starting to seem like a Mophet specialty!  Great activity with so many minifigures too! :thumbup: 

Cheers man! Dark orange will definately be a reoccuring colour throughout Mophet :wink: . 

Fun little build.  I like the stable, the orange and the browns work well together.  I like the sand green doors, make them stand out.  The road is also put together well.  

Lovely architecture and colour choices, feels like a vibrant part of Kaliphlin! The narrow streets and compact feel adds to the sense of realism (if you know what I mean :grin:), and overall this is a smashing MOC!

The street, the doors and the feeling of warmth are what I like about this build. It fits with the Mophet Aesthetic really well.

Mophet is growing fast now! Great to see another moc from you. It feels like you really have an qown style and colour scheme which I really enjoy! Some great fig posings as well! 

18 hours ago, zoth33 said:

Fun little build.  I like the stable, the orange and the browns work well together.  I like the sand green doors, make them stand out.  The road is also put together well.  

Thanks! Thought I needed to add a bit more colour to get some contrast with the doors, glad to hear you liked it!

17 hours ago, Basiliscus said:

Lovely architecture and colour choices, feels like a vibrant part of Kaliphlin! The narrow streets and compact feel adds to the sense of realism (if you know what I mean :grin:), and overall this is a smashing MOC!

Haha, thanks man! Glad I was able to convey that feeling :wink: . 

16 hours ago, Windusky said:

Love the quaint feel of the stable. Nice job!

Cheers! It's all nice and quaint until the lady that runs the place gets pissed...:laugh:. Thanks man. 

9 hours ago, W Navarre said:

Nice one, you guys are doing good work!  I like the blue window. 

Thank you, was hoping a different colour of the window would be a little more interesting than just a plain white/tan one. Cheers!

6 hours ago, Muakhah said:

The street, the doors and the feeling of warmth are what I like about this build. It fits with the Mophet Aesthetic really well.

Thank you dude, glad you felt that way. Gotta keep with the aesthetic I've established :wink: . 

4 hours ago, MaasEffekt said:

Lovely moc! My sigfig really needs to visit Kaliphlin one day!

Haha, thank you! And you are more than welcome to come for a visit. 

3 hours ago, de Gothia said:

Mophet is growing fast now! Great to see another moc from you. It feels like you really have an qown style and colour scheme which I really enjoy! Some great fig posings as well! 

Much appreciated man (tack!). Glad you liked the figs as well, had a lot of fun posing them, haha!

10 hours ago, The Last of Nergoue said:

Great moc!

Thanks a lot!

There are some great things going on in this build, especially the continuity you are building between the different areas of Mophet with the stripes, the street, the different doorways (sand green was a good choice), and the golden dome. I don't really like, however, what you are doing with the log bricks. First, I find that the different profiles of the end of the bricks with the side of them creates an unattractive pattern in the columns. Second, I think your walls would look better if you smoothed the transition from the log bricks to the smooth tan section, using plates (like you did in the upper section) to break up the shapes so it is not so obviously 1x2 bricks; an example of this is here (Gideon did it to break up masonry bricks rather than log bricks, but the concept is the same). Otherwise the walls (especially the outer wall of the courtyard) end up looking sloppy. The rest of the build looks good, though, and you have some pretty good photography skills to complement your building. I look forward to seeing the city of Mophet continue to rise from the oasis!

16 minutes ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

There are some great things going on in this build, especially the continuity you are building between the different areas of Mophet with the stripes, the street, the different doorways (sand green was a good choice), and the golden dome. I don't really like, however, what you are doing with the log bricks. First, I find that the different profiles of the end of the bricks with the side of them creates an unattractive pattern in the columns. Second, I think your walls would look better if you smoothed the transition from the log bricks to the smooth tan section, using plates (like you did in the upper section) to break up the shapes so it is not so obviously 1x2 bricks; an example of this is here (Gideon did it to break up masonry bricks rather than log bricks, but the concept is the same). Otherwise the walls (especially the outer wall of the courtyard) end up looking sloppy. The rest of the build looks good, though, and you have some pretty good photography skills to complement your building. I look forward to seeing the city of Mophet continue to rise from the oasis!

Cheers man, feedback is always appreciated. I think I get what you're saying about the log bricks. It was however a conscious decision as I personally kind of like the look of the columns, but I get your point :wink: . The walls and the transition could have been done smother, for sure. Thanks man! 

Nice job here, Adde! I'd like to see some texture on the right side of the wall. Really good cobblestone though, I love the activity as well and it's really nice to see how Mophet is developing, keep it up! :sweet::thumbup:

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 11:29 PM, TheLordOfBricks said:

Nice work! Some great colors and details here, those doors are especially nice! 

Thank you! Glad you liked the doors, trying to keep the samt style on those as well :classic: .

23 hours ago, en_zoo said:

Nice job here, Adde! I'd like to see some texture on the right side of the wall. Really good cobblestone though, I love the activity as well and it's really nice to see how Mophet is developing, keep it up! :sweet::thumbup:

Thanks man! You're right about the wall, it could probably do well with some wear-and-tear given the nature of the building. Cheers!

Always fun seeing more Kaliphlin builds incorporating nougat and dark orange :thumbup: The street is excellent , and I like the little spots of olive moss and grass here and there.
Excellent layout for the stables, and those stripes still look great :wub:

On 11/9/2018 at 7:37 PM, mccoyed said:

Another knockout moc!

Haha, big thanks man! 

On 11/10/2018 at 7:35 PM, soccerkid6 said:

Always fun seeing more Kaliphlin builds incorporating nougat and dark orange :thumbup: The street is excellent , and I like the little spots of olive moss and grass here and there.
Excellent layout for the stables, and those stripes still look great :wub:

Cheers buddy, glad you liked it! Staying with the stripes, haha! :wink:

A lovely build, the low walled compound is a great choice for a stables. The colour accents on the doors and window shutters really draw the eye and the bustle in the roadway is engaging. My only nitpick is that i feel that the columns to the sides of the horse stalls should have been kept tan rather than nougat, but that's just my preference. 

On 11/16/2018 at 1:31 PM, Gabe said:

A lovely build, the low walled compound is a great choice for a stables. The colour accents on the doors and window shutters really draw the eye and the bustle in the roadway is engaging. My only nitpick is that i feel that the columns to the sides of the horse stalls should have been kept tan rather than nougat, but that's just my preference. 

Thank you man! I guess you and HQ agree about the columns (although in different ways), haha! They might have worked better with a smoother transition towards the tan (or being tan as you suggested), cheers dude!