Tracytron54321

Compact heavy ratchet joint techniques?

Are those 4x4 dishes and only one Stud apart?
We could help better if we knew the working space and connection points.

In this tight space I can't really imagine anything stronger than the 44224 Technic Rotation Joint Disk.

Although i'm not well versed in uncommon building techniques.
And i guess a ratchet would need some elastic deformation of parts...

44 minutes ago, schraubedrin said:

In this tight space I can't really imagine anything stronger than the 44224 Technic Rotation Joint Disk.

Yes, doubling up on those at each "knee" would be the most obvious, but still probably not enough strength through the whole range of motion.  I would ask, however, what the goal here is.  Just poseability, or something else?  If you just need to be able to move the joints for display and it doesn't need to be quickly manipulated (like if you were actually playing out a battle), I'm sure something could be done with gears to allow the join to be moved but also maintain the position rigidly such as a worm gear configuration.

I designed something like this for a fixed joint, unfortunately it doesn't ratchet, as this would effect the scale of the width of the AT-AT, though it is posable in a different positions, but it requires some disassembly to do that.

26383178936_dae283d46f_c.jpgAT-AT leg/hip joint Reworked by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

The AT-AT project

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky

If the goal is just to pose it, a turntable with a worm screw will probably be your best bet.

Edit: added picture.  The lower gear is used to distribute the torque over a longer distance.

ZqECeOy.png

Edited by BusterHaus
Added picture.

The legs are very narrow (seems like 2 studs to me), but somewhat wide in the other direction. There might be enough leverage for linear actuator to do the job.

On 11/5/2018 at 10:06 AM, deraven said:

Yes, doubling up on those at each "knee" would be the most obvious, but still probably not enough strength through the whole range of motion.  I would ask, however, what the goal here is.  Just poseability, or something else?  If you just need to be able to move the joints for display and it doesn't need to be quickly manipulated (like if you were actually playing out a battle), I'm sure something could be done with gears to allow the join to be moved but also maintain the position rigidly such as a worm gear configuration.

Possibly. What I had in mind was just moving them for posing though, nothing fancy or like a child would do.

On 11/5/2018 at 2:36 PM, Tommy Styrvoky said:

I designed something like this for a fixed joint, unfortunately it doesn't ratchet, as this would effect the scale of the width of the AT-AT, though it is posable in a different positions, but it requires some disassembly to do that.

26383178936_dae283d46f_c.jpgAT-AT leg/hip joint Reworked by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

The AT-AT project

On 11/7/2018 at 2:15 AM, BusterHaus said:

If the goal is just to pose it, a turntable with a worm screw will probably be your best bet.

Edit: added picture.  The lower gear is used to distribute the torque over a longer distance.

ZqECeOy.png

These are really helpful! Thanks! (And sorry for the late reply ?