LEGO Train 12 Volts

BR51-761-5 (Octrainber 2018)

BR 51-761-5

2-10-0 Steam Locomotive

Hello everyone,

as announced at the end of my “European Tour” this is time to go back to Germany again ...however, to participate to Octrainber contest  I had to put aside the two locomotives already ready (one diesel and one electric) to dedicate myself to something built in Germany that has never been on duty in Italy: the BR51 and its unique tender with operator’s cab! :wub:

br51-001.jpg

br51-002.jpg

As usual, the steam engine is equipped with lights and customized piston rods

br51-013.jpg

br51-015.jpg

I wanted to kill two birds with a single stone putting beside this elegant locomotive a series of UIC wagons in dark green livery to realize a complete convoy

db-wagon-001.jpg

db-wagon-012.jpg

One of  the passenger wagons has a  first-class section, the last one is a luggage wagon

br51-011.jpg

Have fun looking at the pictures (and the videos :classic:)...

br51-004.jpg

db-wagon-002.jpg

br51-005.jpg

db-wagon-003.jpg

br51-006.jpg

db-wagon-005.jpg

db-wagon-006.jpg

br51-007.jpg

br51-008.jpg

br51-009.jpg

br51-010.jpg

br51-012.jpg

br51-017.jpg

br51-019.jpg

br51-020.jpg

db-wagon-007.jpg

br51-021.jpg

db-wagon-008.jpg

br51-022.jpg

db-wagon-009.jpg

br51-023.jpg

br51-024.jpg

db-wagon-010.jpg

br51-025.jpg

db-wagon-011.jpg

br51-026.jpg

br51-027.jpg

br51-018.jpg

...I know ...I have already said at least ten more times ....but ..."this is most probably my last Baureihe steam engine!" :wink:

Well built and played the BMR contest. :D My hopes are gone. :D

It is nice that such a monster deals with r40 geometry smoothly but those dark green cars are screaming for to be built in 7W or 8W, the short video footage shows how narrow they are compared to the loco and LEGO track!

4 minutes ago, Ashi Valkoinen said:

Well built and played the BMR contest. :D My hopes are gone. :D

It is nice that such a monster deals with r40 geometry smoothly but those dark green cars are screaming for to be built in 7W or 8W, the short video footage shows how narrow they are compared to the loco and LEGO track!

You're too kind Ashi, but you haven't to give up ...I've seen a lot of beautiful creations out there and your is one of them! :thumbup:

The wagons are 6W because it much simple build them and also because they are lighter

Another very well-built Locomotive! Your German Locomotive builds always make me think that I'd like to have one too someday.

I'm really interested in the secondary cab on the tender. I don't suppose you could tell us more about that? I've never seen or heard of such a thing!

I had already feared that you had given up building German steamers... I'm glad you didn't! Congratulations for another well-conceived model (and of course good luck for the contest)!
Als always, I have some questions... :wink: How did you build the curved handrails on the tender, and the little "roof" above the door? And how did you make the tender's window frames?

51 minutes ago, Daedalus304 said:

I'm really interested in the secondary cab on the tender. I don't suppose you could tell us more about that? I've never seen or heard of such a thing!

These tenders were rebuilt from "normal" ones to accomodate the conductor, thus eliminating the need for a separate caboose on freight trains. The little cabins were equipped with a seat and a desk, so that the conductor could do all his paperwork on the way. While this was quite convincing in theory, in reality the train crews did not like these tenders very much... There was very little space inside the cabins; they became hot during summer and cold during winter; and worst of all, over the years the metal sheets separating the cabins from the water tank often unnoticedly corroded, with the result that water leaked into the cabins. In the end, the tenders mostly ran unmanned, and cabooses were used again. Nevertheless, as money had been spent for equipping the tenders with cabins (and German State Railways were always VERY stingy...), they were not converted back to normal configuration.

Edited by Tenderlok

Wow you never fail to impress LT12V! I love the detail of all your locomotives and I seem to learn something new with every train you build and post. I am assuming that the window pieces have stickers on them to add that white trim detail, if I am wrong please explain how you did that!

Always love to see your builds!

-RailCo

1 hour ago, Daedalus304 said:

Another very well-built Locomotive! Your German Locomotive builds always make me think that I'd like to have one too someday.

This is what I feel for your large American steam engine ...and as already said your new version of  AT&SF's #2926 is a real source of inspiration!

59 minutes ago, Tenderlok said:

Als always, I have some questions... :wink: How did you build the curved handrails on the tender, and the little "roof" above the door? And how did you make the tender's window frames?

Hi Tenderlok, the curved handrails on the tender are rigid hoses with iron wire modelled, under the tile 1x4 there are n. 2 Plate, Modified 1 x 1 with Clip Horizontal (part n. 61252).

For the window I've used the part 772p01 ...but are you talking about those windows?

Thanks also for the exhaustive information about this carratteristic tender :classic:

43 minutes ago, Rail Co said:

I am assuming that the window pieces have stickers on them to add that white trim detail, if I am wrong please explain how you did that!

Always love to see your builds!

-RailCo

You've hit the point, on the windows there are stickers to simulate the effect of train glass :thumbup:

Edited by LEGO Train 12 Volts

21 minutes ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Hi Tenderlok, the curved handrails on the tender are rigid hoses with iron wire modelled, under the tile 1x4 there are n. 2 Plate, Modified 1 x 1 with Clip Horizontal (part n. 61252).

For the window I've used the part 772p01 ...but are you talking about those windows? 

Thank you! Yes, I was talking about those. Didn't remember that these already printed parts existed.

P.S. with regard to the cabin tenders: The concept originally came from Austria, where the ÖBB equipped a number of "Reihe 52" 2-10-0s with these tenders. Strangely enough, they seem to have had more positive experiences than the DB - more careful maintenance, perhaps?

Edited by Tenderlok

VERY impressive German locomotive you made there, LEGO train 12v, and an equally impressive passenger consist to go with it.  It looks like, with where you placed the two flanged drivers & used blind drivers for the rest of the driving wheels, that it should be able to handle standard radius curved tracks.  I also think it's interesting that they also used a variation of the tender "doghouses" in Germany that some US railroads used as a place for the forward brakeman to keep an eye on the front part of the train.  All in all, a really fine build.

8 hours ago, Tenderlok said:

Thank you! Yes, I was talking about those. Didn't remember that these already printed parts existed.

The windows on wagons, on the contrary, are stickers because  part n. 772p01 is not available in trans-black color

2 hours ago, Laura Takayama said:

It looks like, with where you placed the two flanged drivers & used blind drivers for the rest of the driving wheels, that it should be able to handle standard radius curved tracks.

I confirm, the locomotive can run on standard lego curves and switches easily because this is one goal of all my models.

Thanks for compliments

many compliments, the loko looks wonderfull and the tender is ice on the cake

sincerely "in bocca al lupo",  but for the cars (very nicely detailed indeed) I must agree with Valkoinen, their width looks unnatural, it is common in Lego but nevertheless is somehow disturbing, at least in videos..are you sure that a 8studs width could be unmanageable?

again many compliments

Sergio

p.s.

12 hours ago, Tenderlok said:

Strangely enough, they seem to have had more positive experiences than the DB - more careful maintenance, perhaps?

we in Triest are using to say that "Austria (KkStB) was an ordered country" :head_back:

7 hours ago, monai said:

many compliments, the loko looks wonderfull and the tender is ice on the cake

but for the cars (very nicely detailed indeed) I must agree with Valkoinen, their width looks unnatural

Hi Sergio (and Eros), thanks for your compliments ...I know that you love steam engines and I knew I would find you here! :wink:

About the wagons I can arrange both 7 or 8 wide but I love the 6 studs format because is very light and the convoy run fast.

In my next project (anyway) you'll see new wagons in 7 studs ...stay tuned... :classic:

3 hours ago, moustic said:

the BR52 at Mariembourg in Belgium has this kind of tender : http://site.cfv3v.eu/site/a3-portfolio/52-467/

This is one of the above-mentioned ÖBB tenders, and was coupled to the 52 467 at some point in the 1990s. It's basically a "Wannentender" (bath tub tender) with steel-saving, light self-supporting tank and bunker, which was developed for the German war locomotives class 52 and 42. Many of these engines remained in Austria after WW II, where some tenders were rebuilt this way.

On 11/4/2018 at 2:04 PM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

This is what I feel for your large American steam engine ...and as already said your new version of  AT&SF's #2926 is a real source of inspiration!

Haha, well, perhaps some day we will have to find a way to trade designs :laugh_hard:

On 11/4/2018 at 1:02 PM, Tenderlok said:

These tenders were rebuilt from "normal" ones to accomodate the conductor, thus eliminating the need for a separate caboose on freight trains. The little cabins were equipped with a seat and a desk, so that the conductor could do all his paperwork on the way. While this was quite convincing in theory, in reality the train crews did not like these tenders very much... There was very little space inside the cabins; they became hot during summer and cold during winter; and worst of all, over the years the metal sheets separating the cabins from the water tank often unnoticedly corroded, with the result that water leaked into the cabins. In the end, the tenders mostly ran unmanned, and cabooses were used again. Nevertheless, as money had been spent for equipping the tenders with cabins (and German State Railways were always VERY stingy...), they were not converted back to normal configuration.

Wow, that's really interesting! It seems odd to me that the railroad would overlook maintaining these cabins but keep the rest of the tender water tight - I assume, anyways, that if any other spots of the tender were to develop leaks of that sort they would repair them rather readily. I wonder if the maintenance was overlooked by crews intentionally as an excuse to get out of them?

Either way, it's a very neat idea and it's really cool to see it here on this model. Thanks for the information!

Excellent MOC. Your dampflok is exquisitely detailed and the work that had to have gone into it is impressive. The collection of cars only serves to complete the package.

You got caught on the drivers in that ugly no-man's land between what is "too close" and "too far away." Don't get me wrong: I think when you smush all the driving wheels together, you a) lose all braking detail, and b) don't wind up with prototypical spacing. Still, most people do it because it runs better. One advantage with this specific locomotive class is that it probably has wider-than-average driver spacing, so this is likely the best compromise. 

On 11/6/2018 at 1:46 PM, moustic said:

the BR52 at Mariembourg in Belgium has this kind of tender

On 11/6/2018 at 4:55 PM, Tenderlok said:

This is one of the above-mentioned ÖBB tenders

Oh wow I didn't know this model! :wub:

20 hours ago, Pdaitabird said:

Fantastic locomotive! It's amazing how you've managed to build this masterpiece in such a short time for the contest!

Thank you very much ... I had the advantage of having already built many BR before this one! :wink:

19 hours ago, Feuer Zug said:

Your dampflok is exquisitely detailed and the work that had to have gone into it is impressive.

You make me blush! :blush:

16 hours ago, ProvenceTristram said:

I think when you smush all the driving wheels together, you a) lose all braking detail, and b) don't wind up with prototypical spacing. Still, most people do it because it runs better. One advantage with this specific locomotive class is that it probably has wider-than-average driver spacing, so this is likely the best compromise.  

I never thought about this but you're right :thumbup:

I love this classic style, very well executed build, looks very clean and detailed! 

I love your BR series, so natural and dusty. You make me forget you're building with lego.
Reminds me of the look of my father's Märklin trains from the 50s.