Sign in to follow this  
LittleJohn

Kaliphlin at Work - Day 3: Spice Merchant

While strolling through one of Katoren’s bustling marketplaces, Nym spotted a spice merchant with a wide variety of herbs and spices for sale. He never could resist the opportunity to learn more about plants, herbs, and, well, really anything that grows, so he hurried over to examine them more closely.

1.jpg

More pictures and a behind the scenes look on Brickbuilt!

My first build for the Kaliphlin at Work collab. While coming up with possible build ideas, I thought of a spice merchant. Creating the various herbs and spices was quite fun, I even found a use for a few of our multitude of broken brown parts! As always, comments and criticism are very welcome :classic:

This is Kaliphlin.  The merchant's stall is amazing with the rug and the different pots of spices.

It is a really characterful and colorful build. Almost perfect with one minor imperfection. I won't point it out because it might just be my eyes playing tricks on me.

Love the Minifigs  too!

Really nice job on this one. Just shows you don't always need to build big to build well.

So many nice parts being used for spices and the surrounding decor is well done.

Love that you presented it as an all LEGO scene too, makes it feel like a real slice of Kaliphlin.

Very nice capture, quintessential Kaliphlin bazaar  :thumbup:

One suggested improvement however for an immersive scene like this would be to crop the picture slightly higher at the bottom (on top of the tiles closest to the camera) to not show the end of the build.

Very nice work! Really liking all the colours of the spices and the cloth in contrast with the background and the ground. :sweet:

Very nice!  Can't even see the broken brown pieces!  I like the choice of colors, the use of the printed cloth as a table covering, the varied buckets filled with colored flowers/plates, and the positioning of the guardsman.  The lance use as a tentpole is also fantastic.  I like that this is just a quick snapshot of Kaliphlin life.  It adds a lot of color and depth to the desert lands.

I like the bazaar.  The use of the horn pieces and flower pieces is a neat idea for spices.  The canopies look good and the figs are spot on.  Good job.  

This is a really nice little scene, very traditionally Kaliphlinian!  The variety of colors really make it a pleasure to look at! :thumbup: 

Very nice little build, LJ! The variety of colors in the spice stall is very vibrant, and the awnings are nicely done. I am a bit puzzled by the inclusion of a tree when you had no intention of showing the canopy - in the cropped version it looks like a strange column without the larger context. I love that you used the broken brown bits as spice (I have too much broken reddish brown, myself; pity LEGO can't get that formula correct). Thanks for sharing this small slice of Kali life with us!

I so enjoy watching mocs where all you can see is Lego! And this is no execption! 

A great idea to use those buckets for the spice and herbs! The cloth piece makes a really nice eye cather to the build!

On 11/3/2018 at 10:34 PM, Muakhah said:

This is Kaliphlin.  The merchant's stall is amazing with the rug and the different pots of spices.

It is a really characterful and colorful build. Almost perfect with one minor imperfection. I won't point it out because it might just be my eyes playing tricks on me.

Love the Minifigs  too!

Thank you very much Muakhah, glad you like it! :sweet: I really am curious as to what your critique is though, if you are willing to tell me :look::laugh:

On 11/4/2018 at 2:25 AM, Basiliscus said:

Really nice job on this one. Just shows you don't always need to build big to build well.

So many nice parts being used for spices and the surrounding decor is well done.

Love that you presented it as an all LEGO scene too, makes it feel like a real slice of Kaliphlin.

Thanks Basiliscus, it was a lot of fun doing an all-LEGO scene. And yep, time limitations kept these first couple builds from me quite small. Glad you like it!

On 11/4/2018 at 3:11 AM, Gideon said:

Very nice capture, quintessential Kaliphlin bazaar  :thumbup:

One suggested improvement however for an immersive scene like this would be to crop the picture slightly higher at the bottom (on top of the tiles closest to the camera) to not show the end of the build.

Thank you Gideon! And good suggestion, I'll have to keep that in mind for future builds :thumbup:

On 11/4/2018 at 10:23 AM, adde51 said:

Very nice work! Really liking all the colours of the spices and the cloth in contrast with the background and the ground. :sweet:

Thanks! I really enjoyed putting that cloth piece to use here :classic:

On 11/4/2018 at 3:05 PM, The Last of Nergoue said:

Nice moc! I really enjoy the forced perspective. 

Thank you!

On 11/4/2018 at 3:19 PM, Grover said:

Very nice!  Can't even see the broken brown pieces!  I like the choice of colors, the use of the printed cloth as a table covering, the varied buckets filled with colored flowers/plates, and the positioning of the guardsman.  The lance use as a tentpole is also fantastic.  I like that this is just a quick snapshot of Kaliphlin life.  It adds a lot of color and depth to the desert lands.

Thanks Grover, the various spices were a lot of fun to make.

On 11/4/2018 at 9:31 PM, zoth33 said:

I like the bazaar.  The use of the horn pieces and flower pieces is a neat idea for spices.  The canopies look good and the figs are spot on.  Good job.  

Thank you zoth! :classic:

On 11/5/2018 at 9:32 AM, Kai NRG said:

This is a really nice little scene, very traditionally Kaliphlinian!  The variety of colors really make it a pleasure to look at! :thumbup: 

Thanks Kai, I really enjoy using a wide variety of colors in Kaliphlin builds. Glad you like it!

On 11/5/2018 at 10:31 AM, Henjin_Quilones said:

Very nice little build, LJ! The variety of colors in the spice stall is very vibrant, and the awnings are nicely done. I am a bit puzzled by the inclusion of a tree when you had no intention of showing the canopy - in the cropped version it looks like a strange column without the larger context. I love that you used the broken brown bits as spice (I have too much broken reddish brown, myself; pity LEGO can't get that formula correct). Thanks for sharing this small slice of Kali life with us!

Thanks HQ! Yeah, in hindsight the tree may not have been the best idea :laugh: Ah well. Something to keep in mind for next time. Glad you like how the broken brown parts work, I was quite proud of that myself! 

20 hours ago, Windusky said:

Love the build! The color use is perfect

Thank you Windusky!

6 hours ago, de Gothia said:

I so enjoy watching mocs where all you can see is Lego! And this is no execption! 

A great idea to use those buckets for the spice and herbs! The cloth piece makes a really nice eye cather to the build!

Thanks dG, it was fun trying an all-LEGO scene here :classic:

@LittleJohn I like the use of the lance as a tent pole. I don’t like the way it is floating off the ground.

The tree is fine and I interpreted the edge of the build tiles as the edge of the pavement like in Barqa or Mophet. 

It is a really petty thing but in my mind that is the only flaw and I can’t unsee it...

I didn’t want to mention it straight away because it is so minor I didn’t want to draw attention to it. The fact no one else saw it as a problem shows how it really isn’t. 

12 hours ago, LittleJohn said:

Thank you Gideon! And good suggestion, I'll have to keep that in mind for future builds :thumbup:

Btw, I love when I have to nitpick at so small details. But GoH is all about the journey to be a better builder, isn't it? So I'll keep trying to find suggestions for improvements even when perfection is near :classic: 

Nice work John! Another great immersive scene, the cloth really does it for me with the market stand with all the great items for sale on top. The ground is nice as well. :)

really nice vignette here, LJ. Like Nym, I was immediately attracted by the spices and I do wonder what the colourful ones might be.. I'd go and examine myself if I could! Oh and what's that cloth serving as tablecloth? It looks cool and appropriate for the purpose.

Agree with the others about the spices and parts use there. Definitely what stands out.

On 11/6/2018 at 11:36 PM, Muakhah said:

@LittleJohn I like the use of the lance as a tent pole. I don’t like the way it is floating off the ground.

The tree is fine and I interpreted the edge of the build tiles as the edge of the pavement like in Barqa or Mophet. 

It is a really petty thing but in my mind that is the only flaw and I can’t unsee it...

I didn’t want to mention it straight away because it is so minor I didn’t want to draw attention to it. The fact no one else saw it as a problem shows how it really isn’t. 

Ah, yes, that darn lance :hmpf_bad::laugh: It was always popping up just a little bit when I was building, and apparently I forgot to push it back down for the pictures. :grin: Thanks for telling me though, I appreciate it!

On 11/7/2018 at 9:23 AM, Gideon said:

Btw, I love when I have to nitpick at so small details. But GoH is all about the journey to be a better builder, isn't it? So I'll keep trying to find suggestions for improvements even when perfection is near :classic: 

Absolutely! I always like getting advice on even the little things. :classic:

On 11/7/2018 at 5:31 PM, TheLordOfBricks said:

Nice work John! Another great immersive scene, the cloth really does it for me with the market stand with all the great items for sale on top. The ground is nice as well. :)

Thank you, glad you like it!

On 11/8/2018 at 5:37 AM, en_zoo said:

really nice vignette here, LJ. Like Nym, I was immediately attracted by the spices and I do wonder what the colourful ones might be.. I'd go and examine myself if I could! Oh and what's that cloth serving as tablecloth? It looks cool and appropriate for the purpose.

Thanks en_zoo! The cloth piece is this elephant saddle. I always enjoy putting it to use :grin:

On 11/9/2018 at 1:43 PM, mccoyed said:

Agree with the others about the spices and parts use there. Definitely what stands out.

Thanks mccoyed!

Besides using way too many of our brown buckets, it's a lovely scene :tongue::laugh:
Those combined with the bags of different herbs and spices gives a wonderful effect, and the printed cloth element below sets them off well.
Bustling market places are something I imagine Kaliphlin to have many of, so it's great seeing that illustrated here :thumbup:

This build evokes a Kaliphlin bazaar perfectly! I love the choice of spice merchant, with all the colourful produce. :classic: Great work!