• 1 – Poor
    • 2 – Below Average
    • 3 – Average
    • 4 – Above Average
    • 5 – Outstanding
  2. 2. Will you recommend this set?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. What do you think of this set re-issue?

• Great idea.
    • I'm not sure.
    • Bad idea.
  4. 4. Should TLG continue to re-release highly in-demand sets?

• Yes
    • No

38 minutes ago, Johnny1360 said:

I do get what you are saying but just because you only found one dead bat doesn't mean more were not killed.

That was part of our job...  To find them...  The problem isn't from the blades hitting them...  It's the negative air pressure that follows the trailing edge it collapses their lungs they die instantly.

20 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

...  It's the negative air pressure that follows the trailing edge it collapses their lungs they die instantly.

Well that sounds genuinely unpleasant ( a far cry from a quaint vision of century-old windmills grinding slowly in the breeze past the tulip fields), then again, flying over a coal fired smokestack probably leaves a lot to be desired too.

I'd seen reports about birds, but I hadn't thought of the bat issue.  This re-release doesn't include any parts 30103 does it? :look:

2 minutes ago, ShaydDeGrai said:

Well that sounds genuinely unpleasant ( a far cry from a quaint vision of century-old windmills grinding slowly in the breeze past the tulip fields), then again, flying over a coal fired smokestack probably leaves a lot to be desired too.

I'd seen reports about birds, but I hadn't thought of the bat issue.  This re-release doesn't include any parts 30103 does it? :look:

Yea birds was an issue on older turbine models as the "swept area"(where the blades turn) was shorter and thus making the gearing faster so the blades had to spin faster as the gearboxes were smaller.   As technology improved the turbines got bigger allowing for better gearing.  Most modern turbines spin 16-20 rpm at the hub now. 

On 11/3/2018 at 7:25 PM, Missing Brick said:

Nice set and review but disagree with the rather naive comments about industrial wind energy....

I am relatively new here but I am under the impression that this site is dedicated to plastic construction toys rather than discussions centered around climate science.  If you want to defend the fossil fuel industry and argue that the environmental impact of fossil fuels on all living things is superior to that of renewable energy, there are many dark corners of the web where people lurk and do just that.  

As for the specific impact of wind turbines on bats and birds, the large majority of scientists who are not on the payroll of the oil, natural gas and coal industries will tell you that the harm is wildly overstated.  For example: "studies have estimated the number of annual avian fatalities by U.S. wind turbines from 10,000 all the way to 440,000. As a comparison, collisions with buildings may kill up to 976 million birds" and "Outdoor cats are the leading cause of death among both birds and mammals in the United States, according to a new study, killing 1.4 billion to 3.7 billion birds each year."  

If you are really concerned about the plight of birds and bats and feel compelled to carry on the discusssion here, perhaps this would be a more appropriate thread:   

Let's not get carried away in discussing the pros and cons of different energy sources. I am sure there are appropriate places and forum sto discuss that. Let's focus on the Creator Expert model instead.

On 11/5/2018 at 12:18 AM, Holodoc said:

If you want a real LEGO fan giving you a cool breeze in the summer - and you don't want to MOC - you will have to obtain (the hard to get) set 9688.

This is the only set to come with six of those blades .

This is the final result: 

That fan blade is not going to bode well with toddlers.... so make sure it's out of reach of little kids. :grin:

On 11/5/2018 at 6:38 AM, dr_spock said:

Thanks for the great review.  This set should have come out sooner then we wouldn't had to Bricklink parts to clone our own for a train show last month.  I think a wind farm is easier to plunk down that a coal power plant.  :pir-classic:   There are also off-shore wind farms.  Has anyone try to make the turbine turn and follow people as they walk by using Mindstorm or some other solution to detect and track people?

That's a very nice layout with all the wind turbines. You can recreate it with the new model ;)

On 11/5/2018 at 11:02 PM, ShaydDeGrai said:

First, thank you so much for the well thought out and comprehensive review.  I found it very informative.

While I appreciate the scale and the messaging, I don't think this set is for me.  The build seems a bit tedious and repetitive and, while the engineer in me is drawn to the fidelity and structural challenges of this model, it really boils down to a fan mounted on a stick.  That's not a criticism of the design, that's just the nature of the beast.  When I think Creator Expert, I just expect something more intricate with a final product that's more compelling.  I'm no stranger to creating MOCs that stand over a meter tall so scale alone isn't really a "wow" factor for me. Oh well, a chacun son gout.

Nice review though, thanks again.

Well, not everyone will be a fan of this model, as it is literally just a fan. I understand where you're coming from and there's no denying that it's build design is not very intricate. I'm also not a stranger in building tall models. I have created tall structures that's why my little gripe about the set is the sturdiness of the base only. Anyway, thanks for sharing your thoughts about this model.

On 11/6/2018 at 1:43 AM, TeriXeri said:

I love the older build style house and the hill, wish Lego had more of those Classic style Town houses on decent baseplates (could be 2-4 16x16 plates too)

Printing is a good step forward. 

Overall it's just too expensive for my style of set. 

Re-Releasing older sets, including prints is fantastic, I love the Town theme. (except the overly simplified Town.Jr style that started in 1997). 1996 is like super nostalgic due to the Lego Island 1 game.

More Xtra polybags with Printed Traffic Signs would be nice as well.

I understand this is a great set for people who have the budget, and again, the step forward toward Prints is a good sign, and could be a nice display piece, especially motorized, it's just not for everyone, it's very tall so not something you put in a small room or shelf.

Thanks for pointing that out. Indeed, the cottage house model is very old-school. In fact is almost identical to set 4999 and they did not bother to change the design at all.

The weight of this set is likely around 2.2kg as well similar to set 4999. As I have mentioned earlier, one should not look at price per part alone in judging the set. Looking at the weight, it is slightly more expensive compared to similar priced licensed set like Star Wars. So in comparison, Star Wars UCS  sets are priced cheaper than this model. (yes, I said Star Wars UCS is cheaper!!) ... But the reality is that people will buy this set anyway because set 4999 is freaking more expensive, and it is more justifiable to buy this new model instead of the old one. 

I wonder if it is possible to put the motor into the non-moving tower structure so you can spin the top a full 360.

On 11/8/2018 at 7:39 AM, 627 said:

I wonder if it is possible to put the motor into the non-moving tower structure so you can spin the top a full 360.

The old set there was room to add a m motor and a couple gears to make it "yaw" without too much modifications  ... Hopefully that carried over.  But realistically the blades spinning was enough and it did have decent pose-ability.  Prototypically they yaw very slowly like 5- 10 min for 1 full revolution .

On 11/4/2018 at 5:38 PM, dr_spock said:

Thanks for the great review.  This set should have come out sooner then we wouldn't had to Bricklink parts to clone our own for a train show last month.  I think a wind farm is easier to plunk down that a coal power plant.  :pir-classic:   There are also off-shore wind farms.  Has anyone try to make the turbine turn and follow people as they walk by using Mindstorm or some other solution to detect and track people?

train1.jpg

If you ever find someone who has please share with me how they did it! 

On 11/8/2018 at 6:33 AM, Dragunov2 said:

I wonder if we are able to change it to Powered Up one day

Maybe you would need a conversion cable if you replace a part of the Power Function to Powered Up version. I am not aware if there's any conversion cable yet. If you replace entirely of Powered Up version, then no issue. 

On 11/8/2018 at 8:39 PM, 627 said:

Well, it's possible but -- it will be so top heavy, you risk the tower to topple easier.

On 11/12/2018 at 10:41 AM, Don Neimoidte de la Mancha said:

Is the 23 November 2018 release date worldwide?

I think it should be out in most regions now. 

On 11/24/2018 at 7:00 AM, _lego_maniac_ said:

This set would be cool to get, but there's no space in my house for it! :dblush:

Yes, space is definitely a big factor to consider. Right now my copy is in the highest place my kids can't reach. Not the best place, but it's in the safest place at the moment.

Hello guys! Hope you guys enjoy this video!

LEGO Creator EXPERT - Vestas Wind Turbine ( 10268 ) - Bricks Assembly (LINK HAS BEEN FIXED!)

Edited by Bricks Assembly

It's not available (any more?)...

Please fix the link. Thx.