greg3

Crewe Tractor WDLR [MOC]

Hi

Here's the latest addition to my World War 1 British War Department Light Railway... the Crewe Tractor.

These were introduced in late 1916 as a solution to the problem of getting supplies the last few hundred metres to the front. Unlike the rest of the WDLR network, these sections of track were lightweight tramways often hurriedly laid on poorly prepared ground and couldn't be used by the regular petrol tractors. Instead, supplies had to be loaded onto hand carts and muscle power got them to their final destination. This was slow, inefficient and took men away from the fighting lines.

The story goes that an officer, home on leave, mentioned these difficulties to a friend who happened to be the daughter of C J Bowden-Cooke, the Chief Mechanical Engineer of the London and North Western Railway (LNWR), who set about solving this problem. After trials on the narrow gauge Crewe Works Railway, his solution was to convert a road vehicle to operate on rail. He chose the Ford Model T and designed a frame with rail wheels that would convert it into a rail tractor. Before being mounted on the frame, the road wheels were removed and the rear ones replaced with sprockets which would drove the rail wheels via chains. The conversion took around an hour and in the road configuration, the disassembled frame could be carried on the rear cargo bed. 

Despite pulling 5 tons at 15 mph in testing, in reality the tractor didn't perform as well as expected in the field as it often struggled with traction but it was better than nothing. Many also found use as inspection vehicles with around 132 eventually being built. Now on with the MOC...

The road version - all the parts needed to convert it to rail use can be carried allowing it to drive up to the railway.

44768921065_55efd399ea_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

44768921095_b89a4109ce_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

Unloaded and ready for conversion...

31810727778_4e78be104a_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

31810728078_a00d12a5da_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

Rail version

31810727288_981918e160_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

44768923165_50fac1a6db_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

The curved cover protects the sprocket/chain drive that transfer power from the rear axle to the rail wheels. (don't worry, I've straightened up the wonky plates!!)

31810728038_c65d255c0b_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

The steering wheel was kept (although most versions once converted to rail stayed that way) You can also see the brake lever which was added to use alongside the vehicle's original brakes.

44768923845_35ca73280c_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

As the reverse gear wasn't up to much, the tractor was fitted with a built in jack/turntable and could be lifted, turned 180º and lowered in around 3 minutes. 

43865149130_027de13533_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

43865149480_f6272224b2_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

A few more pics...

45632610152_f97922a561_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

45632609952_f6272224b2_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

Finally I couldn't resist building 2 to make a before/after...

44768922485_c11f9755b7_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

44768922475_f6272224b2_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

44768922345_4875dafeb9_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

As you can see, I took @Roadmonkeytj's advice about using reference photos as a backdrop - I think it works quite well (although my printer needs more ink... and I thought LEGO was expensive!! :laugh:) Anyway, thanks for looking... comments are always welcome.

Edited by greg3

Fabulous work as always, Greg. We’re getting a real history lesson from you as well as being treated to some excellent brick work. :classic:

Really nifty build, Greg!  Looks like this thing is the Hi-rail's great-great-grandaddy.  As I said before, I really love your series of WWI trench railway builds.

I think this is my favorite so far...  I'm glad you went with the historical pictures I really do think it makes it that much better! 

Those are some crazy prototypes you are building off of and then at such small size the amount of detail that you pack in is unbelievable. Great work!