shadow_elenter

[MOC] Fully Romote Controlled Robot Submarine

I got certified as a scuba diver recently, and seeing the underwater world first hand inspired me to build this sub.
It's also a tribute to the 8299 submarine set (one of my favorite sets when I grew up).

16(+2) LEGO power functions motor, 3 lights and 6 SBrick's form the core of this submarine MOC to make it full remote controlled.

IrJO6ek.jpg

Cramping all these motors to fit together and getting them mechanically linked to their function has made me swear more than once:tongue:.
0lwL2mi.jpg

As always I made several accessories for it like this saw.

ZOerLuP.jpg

mLp85bT.jpg

kUh4cCC.jpg

H4kzZDy.jpg

CfCth2u.jpg

2youctt.jpg

Sometimes when you use a turntabel sideways, gears begin to skip under high loads.

This was also the case when lifting stuff up with the arms of this sub.
If you put gears on both sides of a turntable it can take far more load before skipping because you divide the pressure over 2 gears and it helps to keep the turntable aligned.
Great solution, but it usually means sacrificing the ability to have a function axle through the turntable because there's gears in the way.

I came up this technique using the new 20t clutch gear where you can have both in a compact solution with almost no gear slack.

gTxG6yr.jpg

W2ScuMP.jpg

I tend to build big and heavy, so for me this is sort of a breakthrough and I thought some of you might be able to use it:wink:.

There's a way to do this with a 16T clutch gear but it requires more gears and the slack makes it FAR less efficient and it's far less compact.

Edited by shadow_elenter

I just love it! That gimbal is superb, the arms and multiple tools are very well-thought. Impressive build, it truly rocks :grin:

1 hour ago, shadow_elenter said:

There's a way to do this with a 16T clutch gear but it requires more gears and the slack makes it FAR less efficient and it's far less compact.

There's also a way to do this with an empty t16/t24 differential. Much easier, I would say, since the entire differential is just one piece.

7 hours ago, Sariel said:

There's also a way to do this with an empty t16/t24 differential. Much easier, I would say, since the entire differential is just one piece.

Could you show how? I played around a bit with a 16t/24t differential, but I couldn't get it to the result I wanted.

Edited by shadow_elenter

Yeah... no one can top your ideas/creations. You amaze me every time. The one thing I would change is to make front propellers one pair and rear propellers the other pair. That way is more real like.

3 hours ago, shadow_elenter said:

Could you show how? I played around a bit with a 16t/24t differential, but I couldn't get it to the result I wanted.

I'm talking about running two functions through a turntable, which is what your solution could do.

c-mechanisms-36.png

Edited by Sariel

2 hours ago, Sariel said:

Not exactly a complicated idea, and not exactly a new one.

c-mechanisms-36.png

That is not new indeed, in fact I believe there's more than one way to do that in your book.

But it performs a different function, so I think we misunderstand each other.

The idea is to rotate a large turntable with 2 16t gears driving it from 2 sides instead of just one to make the turntable less prone to gear skipping and more capable of reliably handeling heavier loads AND simultaneously have an axle going through the center of the turntable to preform a function.

Edited by shadow_elenter

I'm sure no hostility was intended- tone of voice is notoriously hard to get through on the internet, nuance is lost easily. 

Great model, really dig the camera gimbal.

Good grief, that's a lot of motors! I bet you did swear more than once, simply fascinating. Just wondering how did you waterproof all those electronics? Yeah I know it doesn't really go in the water, regardless pretty damn cool creation. 

On 11/3/2018 at 2:34 AM, JonathanM said:

Very cool.

For those without the new 20T clutch gear, I guess the LBG 20T bevel with pinhole would also do the trick here?

You can, but it defeats the purpose... I came up with the exact same idea first, but IRL this does not really work.
You can't drive the grey gear when used like that because the teeth are inaccessible, forcing you to drive it from a side axle.
If you drive it from the side there's more play on the 3 inner gears then there is between the outer gears and the turntable so the turntable starts to drive the 16t gear opposing the "drive side 16t gear". then what is driving what?

There's also something with the grey gear having its geared edge 1/2L back in comparison to its new blue brother.

87407.png13425.png

This forces you to place it in 1/2L inward, leaving no space for this part 32034.t1.png to stabilize the axle creating even more play in the 3 inner gears when under high loads the axle starts to flex.

The blue gear (+ stabilizer) can be driven directly, so whatever play there is is equally divided, even when driven from a side axle this setup proved to be far more effective (due to less play in the gears I think).

On 11/3/2018 at 3:53 AM, Johnny1360 said:

Just wondering how did you waterproof all those electronics? Yeah I know it doesn't really go in the water.

I so wish it could tho... would make the video 3x as cool!

damn what a phenomenal build!!! love the functions that went into it, and kudos for getting it al in such a compact body :thumbup:

18 hours ago, shadow_elenter said:

If you drive it from the side there's more play on the 3 inner gears then there is between the outer gears and the turntable so the turntable starts to drive the 16t gear opposing the "drive side 16t gear". then what is driving what?

Ah - ofcourse! Thanks for the explanation! :)

Looks great! It must have been hard squeezing everthing in!

Edited by JarJarBonks

Very nice build! I like technical models with lots of functions :)

And it's a brilliant idea with the new 20T clutch gear, didn't even know that there's one.

Do you have some more images showing how you drive the two seperate functions?