Sign in to follow this  
cimddwc

Facade with Modulex

Hello everyone,

my latest building: A facade combining terracotta-colored (and some tan) Modulex wirh normal Lego:

31805644198_f50a515664_c.jpg

31805642508_dd1f0f5e8b_z.jpg

31805643048_f27ec98924_z.jpg

44953073104_bc72357b11_z.jpg

Fittingly with the "architects' Lego", it contains an architect office, "Mod & Lex", and an apartment above. At least what's visible through the windows, because since it's just a facade, it doesn't matter what the parts that are not visible through the windows look like:

31805642198_4f2e38c9e4_z.jpg

...instead there can be stuff to hold the Modulex bricks (5x5x5 mm) which don't match the Lego grid (8x8x9,6 mm) everywhere. And still some things don't fit perfectly, but as long as that's hardly visible... :) 

» Flickr album

Hope you like it...

Nice looking modular with a great color scheme, I really love the way you combined Modulex and System.  I recommend you to add this to Flickr groups as I think it deserves to be more popular! Keep it up! :classic: :thumbup:

I really like this! The colors are fantastic and it shows that you really don't need a whole building, the facade is enough, and, and it requires many fewer bricks. 

Build more...

Andy D

Thanks!

I got the Modulex bricks on eBay, about 10-15% more terra-cotta than used here, and the same amount in tan (so I got quite a few of those left), plus a drawer and some cardboard boxes for 23.50€. You just have to ignore those offers that start way too high...

Very clean build! The structure reminds me quite a bit of parisian architecture. The colours make the structure really shine and I adore the steep street on the side! Wishing such colour was in the regular Lego palette 

Absolute eye-catcher that I already marveled at over at flickr this morning.

How are the modulex parts connected? Is it just those assemblies involving light saber blades and various modiefied plates we see in the backview, or are there more hidden connection points?

Edited by RogerSmith

That's beautiful!  Both the color and profile of that Modulex works wonderfully for that application.  I think I may just break out mine and start looking at what colors I have enough of to add some of that detail to my town.  :classic:

Like RogerSmith, I'd like to see some more detail about how it's connected.  Doesn't look too stable, though that's not a huge issue here and the wall sections are probably sturdy enough themselves to essentially float at each level as 1 unit?

Great build!

Thanks again!

It's indeed not the most stable building I've ever built... The main facades are just attached at two places in the middle where one Modulex tile (which is as tall as a brick) is squeezed into the bottom of the tan jumpers visible in the lower floor (for some reason, the 1x2x5 bricks in the upper floor fit better than they did in the lower floor before I removed them). And they rest against the Lego bricks on the sides. 

The lightsaber - clip-bar - clip-plate - plate-with-bar-in-Modulex is just there to connect the vertical tan edges, and just at one point. If I'd have to move the building around more, I'd have added another one at the top.

The gable is just locked in place with extra M bricks between Lego bricks. All in all, it's a lot of improvising while you build...

By the way, stability is further reduced by the fact that there were no 1x1 Modulex bricks in the lot I bought, only 1x1 tiles.

This is a gorgeous facade!  I love the colour combination and the detail where the dormer meets the roof tiles.