The_Nev

Introducing Neville Equicius & The Equicius Clan (Avalonia tasks 1 &2)

Task One - The Equicius Clan

The Equicius Clan of old were once known & respected across the lands for their fine herds of horses. They lived a semi-nomadic life, travelling with their herds across the eastern plains of Avalonia, with some small settlements scattered towards the northern reaches of their ranges. Their lives of peace & prosperity were not to last, however, as raiders from the northern mountains plundered and pillaged the few villages the Equicians had established, taking with them, destroying or scattering much of the herds that were the pride of the clan. Many of our finest warriors and herdsmen's lives were lost in those days, and all the remaining men, women and children were left with no choice but to disperse across the villages and cities of Avalonia, some venturing as far as the lands of other guilds in search of a new home. As the years and generations passed, the great horsemen of old were forgotten by all except legend, their stories passed down to the Equician descendants that remain today. 

Although the Equicius Clan has never restored their former glory, and remain scattered, some larger families stayed together, and found a life for themselves away from the pastures of their forebearers. One such family is that of my father, Albus Equicius, a direct descendant of the leader of our clan of old, Eorl Equicius I. 

43843403560_f300503703_c.jpgEquicius Clan by The Nev, on Flickr

The Equicians are skilled warriors, both on foot and horseback, fighting with sword, spear and bow. My cousin Eldred is a leader among our men, with the privilege of riding upon a purebred Equician steed, garbed in the colours of our clan.

44747226495_e82b9de55c_c.jpgCousin Eldred by The Nev, on Flickr

As for our troops, they are of course small in number as a result of the scattering of our people, but display the strength and determination that stands them equal to some of the best soldiers you can find in Historica, and have often served under the greater banner of Avaloina in times of war past.

43843403260_5752b734b1_c.jpgEquician Troops by The Nev, on Flickr

And then there's myself, Neville Equicius, son of Albus Equicius, descendant of Eorl Equicius I.

44747225475_9ff9caeb72_c.jpgNeville Equicius by The Nev, on Flickr

Some of you may have already heard my story, so I will only briefly recount here. Nine years ago, my father set off on a journey to find the tomb of our ancestral leader, in the hope that it would contain the key to reuniting our clan, a step towards the ultimate goal of restoring our former prosperity. Five years after his expected return had not come, my father's uncle, Freca, uncovered a map that leads to Eorl's tomb, and since that day I have travelled across the land, seeking my father so that I can lead him to the tomb and he can reunite the Equicius Clan.

Task 2 - My Travels

Since I set out, I have often walked alone, other times I have had companions. Uncle Freca and  my cousin Eldred often accompany me on my journey, between attending to tasks of their own.

44747226795_df5f9d1398_c.jpgField & Equician Travellers by The Nev, on Flickr

Uncle Freca is a wonderful source of knowledge, and was once a great warrior, his career ending when he lost a leg in battle.

43843402880_43ff5be43b_c.jpgUncle Freca by The Nev, on Flickr

My cousin, of course, has saved our necks on several occasions, while his faithful steed provides a welcome rest for weary feet and heavy packs.

45661830051_dbb712a9a1_c.jpgEquician Travellers by The Nev, on Flickr

We are a strange sight to other travellers, not that we see too many, often we travel on the smallest, quietest paths through Avalonia, often passing by small pockets of farmland, the land of some solitary farmer making a life for himself off the land.

44747227445_0727a1aa1e_c.jpgView of Field by The Nev, on Flickr

We travel light, venturing from town to town in search of answers that can lead us to my father, with the ever growing concern that he has come by some foul circumstances, as what bodes ill for Albus Equicius bodes ill for the whole Equicius Clan...

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = 

Whew! Sorry for the long post, but I hope it establishes Neville's story well enough for some sort of foundation/background. Hoping to get a real storyline going through some future builds, time will tell what is in store!

See nice minifigs in there, and I especially like the green dragon barding, shame that isn't a real part though!

nice set of minifigs and nice start for the story - looking forward for more ^ I like the lines and layers of the terrain - though very simple, I find them visually effective

6 hours ago, Basiliscus said:

See nice minifigs in there, and I especially like the green dragon barding, shame that isn't a real part though!

5 hours ago, en_zoo said:

nice set of minifigs and nice start for the story - looking forward for more ^ I like the lines and layers of the terrain - though very simple, I find them visually effective

5 hours ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

Nice introductions! I like the terrain you have made to serve as a background. Simple, yet effective. I look forward to seeing some more to the story of Neville. 

Don't forget to post it to the freebuild registration thread, too!

Thanks for all the feedback!

Glad you guys like the bases, I tried to keep them relatively simple to compliment the characters, rather than draw attention away from them. Good to hear that you think they were effective!

Lovely figs! The countryside showed in your moc makes me remember why I keep choosing Avalonia over and over again! :wub:

Wonderful set of minifigs.  I like the use of the Rohan helms.  The color combinations are good and the little scene with the cornfield is nicely done.  

10 hours ago, de Gothia said:

Lovely figs! The countryside showed in your moc makes me remember why I keep choosing Avalonia over and over again! :wub:

4 hours ago, zoth33 said:

Wonderful set of minifigs.  I like the use of the Rohan helms.  The color combinations are good and the little scene with the cornfield is nicely done.  

Thanks and thanks! Glad you like it, and I'm definitely glad I chose Avalonia, can't wait to get a few more builds done!

Very cool minifigures that are instantly recognizable as Avalonian :thumbup: Though the Adventurers torso on Uncle Freca seems a touch out of place in the guilds, since it has a revolver tucked into the belt.
Good render quality for the various scenes, and I like how you used wedge plates to give irregular edges to the path :classic:

15 hours ago, soccerkid6 said:

Very cool minifigures that are instantly recognizable as Avalonian :thumbup: Though the Adventurers torso on Uncle Freca seems a touch out of place in the guilds, since it has a revolver tucked into the belt.
Good render quality for the various scenes, and I like how you used wedge plates to give irregular edges to the path :classic:

Thanks for the feedback! You know, I didn't notice the revolver, so thanks for pointing that out! Might go for a redesign and find him a new shirt... 

Rendering was pretty easy for all these builds as there isn't too much to render, but its starting to prove a challenge with the next moc I'm working on, 64x64 and different textures in high quality doesn't get along very well with my graphics processor so far, just low quality test images of sections of the build are taking longer than the high quality render of the 32x32 took!