Sign in to follow this  
en_zoo

Avalonia Task 1 - Laelarielian Army & Crest

Avalonia Task 1 - Laelarielian Army & Crest

The Laelarielian army (or, rather, what's left of it) counts no less than one swordsman and two spearmen! The (self-proclaimed) shield-maiden Lola has lately joined the group, her fighting skills being better than the others', despite her young age.

We see them here at the ruins of their former training site, which they still visit regularly. They briefly pay homage each time, quickly getting rid of some weeds and yet always making sure that the full Laelarielian banner is still standing and in good condition – they still proudly display the crest and colours of their city, together with those of their Guild. 

44892176654_2720064c26_b.jpg

Hello everyone ^^

Those of you who follow the story will know that Laesonar has only just met Lola.. so I guess you can take it as a small flashforward :grin:

One question: @Henjin_Quilones's post detailing Avalonian tasks is from 1st August. As I'm just back, I've been looking for posts by fellow Avalonians who completed the task, but couldn't find any - am I the 1st one completing it or has anyone else already? If so, could I please get linked to that/those post/s?

Also, not sure if such vignettes can count as freebuild for the Guild?

Hope you guys like it, C&C most welcome ^^

Edited by en_zoo

A few have completed Task 1, though not many have. Zilmrud completed his here, Ailhbe completed it here, Niku's is on the 4th page of the Avalonian thread, and I think that is everyone who has completed it so far. I've been meaning to get mine posted soon (I took the pics and posted them to Flickr, but have never made a post for them over here) but so far we have not been too active on that front. People understandably placed some priority on their Challenge 1 builds, I suspect. 

Vignettes count as freebuilds, for sure! We have a category for 16x16 or less in the scoring rubric. It doesn't count as much as a 48x48, or something like that, but they are worth something to the guild, so post it to the registration!

Technical stuff aside, I love how the vignette fits so well into the aesthetic you have established for Laelariel. I like the use of the old UFO armor on the swordsman! I also appreciate how you have not simply made an army for the realm, but instead applied creative license to your particular story and realm and made an "army" that depicts the situation on the ground. It's lovely. Good work!

7 hours ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

A few have completed Task 1, though not many have. Zilmrud completed his here, Ailhbe completed it here, Niku's is on the 4th page of the Avalonian thread, and I think that is everyone who has completed it so far. I've been meaning to get mine posted soon (I took the pics and posted them to Flickr, but have never made a post for them over here) but so far we have not been too active on that front. People understandably placed some priority on their Challenge 1 builds, I suspect. 

Vignettes count as freebuilds, for sure! We have a category for 16x16 or less in the scoring rubric. It doesn't count as much as a 48x48, or something like that, but they are worth something to the guild, so post it to the registration!

Technical stuff aside, I love how the vignette fits so well into the aesthetic you have established for Laelariel. I like the use of the old UFO armor on the swordsman! I also appreciate how you have not simply made an army for the realm, but instead applied creative license to your particular story and realm and made an "army" that depicts the situation on the ground. It's lovely. Good work!

Good to hear about that UFO armour - I wasn't too sure.. :grin: Glad you like the idea of the 'small' army to fit with the story - I shall hopefully expand it accordingly. Thanks for the links too - I thought you went to Varlyrio? Or have I misread/invented it completely?

1 hour ago, en_zoo said:

Good to hear about that UFO armour - I wasn't too sure.. :grin: Glad you like the idea of the 'small' army to fit with the story - I shall hopefully expand it accordingly. Thanks for the links too - I thought you went to Varlyrio? Or have I misread/invented it completely?

Me? Go to Varlyrio? Not a chance! I became the Guild Leader of Avalonia while you were away, so I am sticking with the green fields and verdant forests for the forseeable future. Not that the Varlyrio wasn't tempting -- I will likely have my characters go to visit for a while -- but Henjin Quilones is solidly Avalonian. 

I really like the color combinations of your force. It’s nice to see some avalonians who aren’t in green! Hope we can see more of them i the future.

Love the small vignette. I like the ruins particularly, and the colors you used throughout are great.

Really nice work on the ruined wall, it looks very realistic. The soldiers you've made are nice too, the insectoid armour works really well here, although I've never been sure about those Brickforge nasal helms, I always feel they look too big for a minifig's head.

The banner is well made and good choice on those shields :thumbup:

On 10/30/2018 at 1:27 AM, Henjin_Quilones said:

Me? Go to Varlyrio? Not a chance! I became the Guild Leader of Avalonia while you were away, so I am sticking with the green fields and verdant forests for the forseeable future. Not that the Varlyrio wasn't tempting -- I will likely have my characters go to visit for a while -- but Henjin Quilones is solidly Avalonian. 

uhhmmm I went and checked - I completetly miseread a post of yours :tongue: I did notice you stepped au as a Guild LEader indeed (which, by the way, I'm glad of ^) and thought it was strange you'd go to another Guild.. but anyways, mystery solved. Nice to know we're still on the same side :classic:

On 10/30/2018 at 6:58 AM, Muakhah said:

I really like the color combinations of your force. It’s nice to see some avalonians who aren’t in green! Hope we can see more of them i the future.

thanks Muakhah, I hope so too! :grin:

On 10/31/2018 at 4:49 AM, Windusky said:

Love the small vignette. I like the ruins particularly, and the colors you used throughout are great.

thank you, glad you like it! ^^

On 10/31/2018 at 9:36 AM, Basiliscus said:

Really nice work on the ruined wall, it looks very realistic. The soldiers you've made are nice too, the insectoid armour works really well here, although I've never been sure about those Brickforge nasal helms, I always feel they look too big for a minifig's head.

The banner is well made and good choice on those shields :thumbup:

oh that's a good point about those helms, I had never noticed! I might have to rethink the whole thing.. I do like the classic chin-guard helms, yet wanted to keep them for archers.. uhmm

I like the light blue highlights in your army, it's a colour I rarely see used in Lego castle armies and it looks very cool! Also works great with those shields! I also like that you have made a unique 'local' army that has it's own banners and colours. Nice job!

What a great way to introduce your troops! The small moc is really good looking! The blue highlights in the figs makes the pop out! Lovely!

Love it!  I like the incorporation of the light blue, too--that's really going to tie all your creations together and make them stand out.  I think it's absolutely a great creation, although if you wanted to add another color of brown (dark tan, for instance), it might add more texture to the dirt.  Probably not necessary since it's a small vig and looks great as is.  Look forward to reading more about the Laelarielian troops!

Reddish brown with regular green looks so good in your landscapes :wub:
The ruined wall looks great, and your unique troops make excellent use of one of my favorite shields :thumbup:

On 11/2/2018 at 1:11 PM, Ayrlego said:

I like the light blue highlights in your army, it's a colour I rarely see used in Lego castle armies and it looks very cool! Also works great with those shields! I also like that you have made a unique 'local' army that has it's own banners and colours. Nice job!

Thank you Ayrlego! Really glad you like the combo as well as the idea of creating a 'local' army! :sweet:

On 11/2/2018 at 8:35 PM, de Gothia said:

What a great way to introduce your troops! The small moc is really good looking! The blue highlights in the figs makes the pop out! Lovely!

Thanks dG, good to know the High Lord of Avalonia approves the troops' style! :sweet: Speaking of which, you're still High Lord, right? Or have I missed something?

On 11/4/2018 at 9:03 PM, Grover said:

Love it!  I like the incorporation of the light blue, too--that's really going to tie all your creations together and make them stand out.  I think it's absolutely a great creation, although if you wanted to add another color of brown (dark tan, for instance), it might add more texture to the dirt.  Probably not necessary since it's a small vig and looks great as is.  Look forward to reading more about the Laelarielian troops!

Thanks Grover, and yes, I intend to tie all Laelarielian MOCs through the medium blue.. as long as I don't get bored, that is :grin: I built this up in around 2 hours but actually had to add more green at the end else the brown troops' trouser would look seamless with the ground, so I see your point about more colours!

22 hours ago, soccerkid6 said:

Reddish brown with regular green looks so good in your landscapes :wub:
The ruined wall looks great, and your unique troops make excellent use of one of my favorite shields :thumbup:

Thank you SK, always good to hear from you! ^^ And yes, love those shields too! :sweet:

12 hours ago, TheLordOfBricks said:

Nice job! A nice simple, but good looking scene! Keep it up!

Thank you! Glad you like it ^^