Robert8

LEGO Disney Minifigures & D2Cs - Rumors and Discussion

Which Disney Series do you like better?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Best Disney Series so far?

I am a bit dissapointed.

The missing Goofy is a bad joke. I don´t even care about Pluto not beeing inclued, because i would not buy a bipedal version and a design like Scooby doo wouln´t be realeased as an accessory.

I don´t like the black and White design of Mickey and Minnie at all and they completely unnecessary in the Cmf after beeing in the ideas set in the nearly exact same version. Thinking about their headgear already beeing reused the accessory seams even worse than it is.

I do not unerstand why Edna is inclued after beeing released in a polybag a short time ago and Frozone should already have been in the sets. The two spots could have been filled for example with Goofy and Pete... or Woody with printed long arms and legs... or one of the Beagle Boys, Magica De Spell... there woul have been uncountable more better possibilities.

Many characters aren´t represented very well. Hades looks really bad with his face and the flames are a poor choice. Either Jafars face is printed to small and low placed on the head or the edge of his hat is much to high, because his forehead wasn´t that gigantic. Hercules´ upper body looks much too slim and would have either required a muscular mould like Mr. Indreible already needed or at least a smaller and lower placed print for the belt to make his upper boody look at least a little bigger. Besides that Herc´s hair mould isn´t as perfect as it could be and i can´t remember about him having a shield. The two guys from Nightmare before Cristmas would have really needed Woody´s long legs and arms. Anna misses a bit of grey print on her hairpiece.

I think some moulds were not the best choice. Two minifigures without hair in just this series should be enough reason to finally introduce a little piece to let the stud dissapear. It could be reused for really every licence from Dwalin in "the Hobbit", "Super heroes"-figures like deadpool, deathstroke, deadshot and many more to Pirates of the Carribean, where some figures didn´t have a hairpiece. Instead we get this flower, the ice Crystal Elsa is holding and some hairpieces really similar to alreay existing ones...

Jasmine looks perfect. Like Arielle her accessory isn´t that great, but i wasn´t expecting anything anymore at this point so a random little bird is a nice surprise.

Like i expected the ducks and chipmunks - classic cartoon characters done with specific head moulds like the Simpsons Series was - are incredible. I love every one of them and will get them.

Edited by Gorilla94

does any one know if the rumored D2C is supposed to be released along with the CMF.

Just now, RyanMe said:

does any one know if the rumored D2C is supposed to be released along with the CMF.

Nope

It's a fall release

I love these. A little ‘villain-lite’ but a solid series with some fantastic figures. I’m especially stoked for Chip n Dale 

All I can say is yes please. Although now that I see this I am beginning to wish I had picked up Donald and Daisy (and maybe Minnie) from Series 1.

Not sure about Vintage Mickey and Minnie, that depends on whether I get the Steamboat Willie set.

Definitely going for Scrooge and the boys since I am a huge Duck Tales fan (I can finally get that slingshot).

Chip and Dale maybe.

None of the others really do it for me though (not a fan of Aladdin, Frozen, Nightmare Before Xmas or Incredibles :)

But that Scrooge McDuck figure. Shut up and take my money.

I'm very happy with the second Disney CMF series.

Yes, there are some obvious "headliners" missing. But, that just makes me hopeful that Lego and Disney see the Disney CMF series as a long-term investment and we'll eventually get the likes of Goofy and Pluto to round out the "core" gang of Mickey's friends (maybe Horace, Clarabelle and Pete too).

Scrooge McDuck, Hewey, Louie and Dewey and Chip and Dale are easily my favourites. The others are all great as well, although I would have much preferred Elastigirl to Edna.

And I wish Lego had a proper "walking cane" piece for Uncle Scrooge. And they could have squeezed in Rajah (or at least Abu or Iago) instead of a random bird with Jasmine!

The black and white Mickey and Minnie Mouse make it extremely easy to pass on the Steamboat Willie set. I'm not sure what Lego and Disney were thinking by including them in the CMF series. Sure, they're missing the chrome paint, but it certainly makes the Steamboat Willie set less appealing in my eyes.

I wonder if the Ducktales / Disney Afternoon "focus" of the second Disney CMF series could be some kind of indication as to the upcoming D2C? I can't think of anything obvious, apart from Scrooge's money bin. And given the triplets are all repaints, that's an easy explanation for why the series is Ducktales heavy (although we're obviously still missing some core characters like Webby, Launchpad, Gizmo Duck, Magica DeSpell, Flintheart Glomgold, Ma Beagle and the Beagle Boys, etc).

According to the designers, they work in the CMFs a year in advance

According to that, the Vintage Mickey and Minnie were designed a year ago. Long before the Ideas set was even in review

25 minutes ago, Agent 86 said:

The black and white Mickey and Minnie Mouse make it extremely easy to pass on the Steamboat Willie set. I'm not sure what Lego and Disney were thinking by including them in the CMF series. Sure, they're missing the chrome paint, but it certainly makes the Steamboat Willie set less appealing in my eyes.

This is a great series for me. I'm sorry that there are few important characters missing, but for sure Lego will put them in D2C set or in some another series. Scrooge, Chip and Dale are my favorite. With this black and white Mikey and Mini I will probably not buy nice, but overpriced Ideas set. 

Edited by Ogist

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 1:13 PM, Khscarymovie4 said:

1. Mickey (Sorcerer's Apprentice) 

2. Minne (Rubber hose) 

3. Goofy 

4. Pluto

5. Scrooge McDuck

6. Cinderella 

7. Snow White 

8. Rapunzel

9. Belle

10. Beast

11. Jasmine 

12. Jafar

13. Tarzane

14. Winne The Pooh

15. Tigger

16. Frozone 

My predictions. The Minne could be any version though. I don't believe a rubber hose Mickey will appear as I think we could get him in the Ideas Steamboat set if it's approved.

5/18 On my predictions. Could have been worse. I do not like the fact that the Steamboat Mickey and Minnie appear here. They are so many different variants that they could have chosen from. Maybe they will appear in the new D2C? Goofy and Pluto are still absent but Scrooge Mcduck and the little ducklings are well appreciated. Lots of nice figures here. Frozone, Elsa, Jack Skeleton, Hercules. I just wish they were more from my list above. Hopefully they are present in the D2C, guess there's always series 3 if not.

It amazes me the amount of people on eurobricks that complain about a kids toy.  The series is catering to children not AFOL's.  I think the series is great not lazy.  You won't be able to satisfy everyone.   I also think Disney and Lego will have a long standing relationship so Goofy will come in time.  There are some really great characters like Jack, Hades, Chip and Dale, and Jafar.  

My sources tell me that the upcoming Disney D2C will again be priced at $350.

And it's just going to be a Goofy and Pluto minifigure two-pack. No build.

You're welcome.

Huge sigh of relief that I've only got to go in for nine figures this go 'round. :head_back: Not sure why they've got Steamboat Willie MM in there, but I'm not complaining. Would have preferred Rescue Rangers C&D, but completely understand why they did the vanilla version.

It might be just me, but I'm pretty sure that Frozone's disc accessory is the same piece as Polka Dot Man's flying dish from two years atom, but unprinted and in grey. Thoughts?

DUCKTALES! WOO-OO! :wub_drool:

Bless me bagpipes! At last, my childhood dream of a Scrooge McDuck minifig is coming true, and along with all the triplets no less! I can see how people are upset about three spots being taken up by recolors of the the same fig, but I don't care. I'm thrilled! :grin_wub: If I had to nitpick, I'd say it's a bit disappointing that he doesn't have a real cane and that his hat looks strangely thin and plain, but it's close enough!

Frozone, a proper Edna, and Jasmine and Jafar to complete the main casts of two franchises from the first series were high on my wanted list too, so I'm happy about those!

Chip & Dale are great as well, although I wish they were the Rescue Rangers versions, but I get why they went with the classic versions. Besides, it shouldn't be hard to modify them.

I don't feel too strongly about the rest, but they're all well done and I'm glad to see that they all come with accessories this time, so I'm definitely getting them.

The only disappointment for me, like everyone, is Steamboat Mickey & Minnie, but I understand that they are here to justify the new hat molds for the Ideas set, and at least now I have another reason to pass on that set, so whatever.

And complaining that Goofy, Pluto, or [insert popular character here] is not included is completely pointless since they have so many iconic characters and will never be able to make everyone happy. Just be glad we finally get another series at all. I'm sure we will get Goofy eventually.

Overall, I'm very happy with this series and can't wait to get it! Now if only I could get that DuckTales theme out of my head...

3 hours ago, zoth33 said:

It amazes me the amount of people on eurobricks that complain about a kids toy.  The series is catering to children not AFOL's.  I think the series is great not lazy.  You won't be able to satisfy everyone. 

To be honest it looks like the majority of people here are quite happy with this series, though maybe you are talking pure numbers and not percentage of people who are complaining.

This is all of our hobby, so it's totally fair to not be satisfied with everything LEGO does, and call it out when it looks like they haven't used an opportunity to its fullest potential. There have been a few times that LEGO hasn't made characters from certain licenses, and then let the license go. While we have no reason to suspect that LEGO's run with Disney will end any time soon, it's not like Disney CMF are pouring out in droves either.

To me personally, I have no idea what the most popular Disney franchises are with kids these days (besides Frozen), and I guess they know what they're doing with the triplets and Chip and Dale. I'm still solidly in the "Where's Goofy?" camp, and have no desire for any of the Disneytoon characters here.

As for the rest, they're all well done, but most don't interest me despite me liking the properties and I'm trying to put my finger on why. It might be that the Disney animated movies and their particular styles are so stuck in my head that characters like Jasmine and Jafar will just never look right as minifigs. They're wearing the right outfits, but I still don't see the characters. They look to me more like humans in costumes, because I'm used to minifigs representing flesh and blood people, not animated characters with their own distinct style. I had the same issue with the first Disney CMF series.

A secondary stylistic choice that I haven't loved since the first series is the fairly simple detailing style that LEGO has gone with, probably since the animated films themselves don't have too much detail or texture on the characters. On minifigs, it just comes across looking rather plain.

Out of all of these, my top favourite would be Hercules since he has a lot of detail and good accessories (and I don't even like the animated film), and Elsa and Anna since I like the hairpieces and interesting capes, and they have usable parts for customising.

I agree that there's something off about most of the Disney minifigures. Obviously the ones with custom heads are spot on, but they go too far in the other direction and no longer look lego-like enough. 

Even with standard heads it's hard to strike a balance. Jack's huge eyes are appropriate for the character, but look out of place on a minifigure. Sally has the opposite problem, her eyes are too small to really invoke the character for me. 

That being said, I think that the designers did a good job of walking that thin stylistic line. Hercules, Hades, and Jafar are all solid (although I feel like Jafar should have had printing on his robes) and I may warm up to Jack and Sally's over time. 

1 hour ago, Clone OPatra said:

As for the rest, they're all well done, but most don't interest me despite me liking the properties and I'm trying to put my finger on why. It might be that the Disney animated movies and their particular styles are so stuck in my head that characters like Jasmine and Jafar will just never look right as minifigs. They're wearing the right outfits, but I still don't see the characters. They look to me more like humans in costumes, because I'm used to minifigs representing flesh and blood people, not animated characters with their own distinct style. I had the same issue with the first Disney CMF series.

It's likely because Disney's animated character designs are purposefully based on simple shapes that are easy to recognize and relate with. These shapes are lost in the transition to the standard minifig body shape, so when Jasmine doesn't have that recognizable slender pear-shape or Jafar doesn't have those broad T-shaped shoulders, you stop seeing the character and just see a minifig masquerading as that character. That's why characters with molded heads tend to look better, because they retain some of their original recognizable shape. Edna Mode and all the Toy Story figs are a good example of this. Here is a good explanation of it.

Personally, like @Megaflora, I think they did the best they could with these figs.

aladin-shapes.jpg?w=1024

I have to say, I'm just in love with Hades. The moment that the Ghost Rider mold released, I knew it would be a perfect fit! As for Hercules, I do appreciate that they chose a design that closely mimics one used in Kingdom Hearts. Near perfect match.

1 minute ago, Avoidberg said:

I have to say, I'm just in love with Hades. The moment that the Ghost Rider mold released, I knew it would be a perfect fit! As for Hercules, I do appreciate that they chose a design that closely mimics one used in Kingdom Hearts. Near perfect match.

Hi! Warm welcome to Eurobricks! I have to agree with Hades I love it, beside Jack and Sally those are the characters that is in my day-one-purchase-list not a fan of Herlcules and his chin. :roflmao:

5 hours ago, rob-ot5000 said:

My sources tell me that the upcoming Disney D2C will again be priced at $350.

And it's just going to be a Goofy and Pluto minifigure two-pack. No build.

You're welcome.

Thanks for the information!  I am a huge fan of Pluto, so I'll have to look out for that two-pack.

This series looks really good.  I'm going to end up collecting pretty much all of them...

3 hours ago, Oky said:

It's likely because Disney's animated character designs are purposefully based on simple shapes that are easy to recognize and relate with. These shapes are lost in the transition to the standard minifig body shape, so when Jasmine doesn't have that recognizable slender pear-shape or Jafar doesn't have those broad T-shaped shoulders, you stop seeing the character and just see a minifig masquerading as that character. That's why characters with molded heads tend to look better, because they retain some of their original recognizable shape. Edna Mode and all the Toy Story figs are a good example of this. Here is a good explanation of it.

Personally, like @Megaflora, I think they did the best they could with these figs.

aladin-shapes.jpg?w=1024

Yeah, and that figure shows why some characters actually work better as minidolls than minifigures.  But many AFOLs will hold on to the idea that minidolls are the work of the Devil and not proper figures and should not exist.

I've added a poll to the thread 

Which Disney series is your favorite?

Just a quick comment and as I’m leaving for work .. but I love these .. some more than others .. some characters I wish had been here but sadly aren’t .. I hoped for Goofy, Belle and Beast and possibly Cinderella .. so here’s to series 3 lol.

BUT .. I wonder whether the reason some of us think they look a bit off is that in the ‘group’ picture they’re not all to scale with one another .. look at Anna and Jarar’s heads, a regular minifigure head is the same size, yet they look vastly different here .. compare Mickey’s legs to Scrooge McDuck’s .. Scrooge’s are a lot smaller .. so the group pic is visually ‘off’ to begin with.

Edited by Jarreth2

2 hours ago, Robert8 said:

I've added a poll to the thread 

Which Disney series is your favorite?

Honestly, I prefer this one, if only because they finally made LEGO TNBC characters. The Hercules and Frozen designs are amazing as well.