Robert8

LEGO Disney Minifigures & D2Cs - Rumors and Discussion

Which Disney Series do you like better?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Best Disney Series so far?

When I say "replaced", it's because of a lot of thing : with series 1, we had 18 minifigs, 8 couples + 2 alone. Two "plus", we was all enchanted about two minifigs more. We had "couple", without being "couple". For example, we had "Aladdin + Genie", Aladdin but no Jasmine, we had "Buzz + Alien", Buzz but no Woody, we had Stitch without Lilo, etc. With all of this, some of us thought "if series 2 comes, some of couples will be gathered", Jasmine, Woody, Lilo, maybe Aurora, Wendy, Eric... With the Toy Story sets and Woody, it changes that kind of thinking, so I used the term "replace" .

Edited by notpennysboat

2 minutes ago, notpennysboat said:

When I said "replaced", it's because of a lot of thing : with series 1, we had 18 minifigs, 8 couples + 2 alone. Two "plus", we was all enchanted about two minifigs more. We had "couple", without being "couple". For example, we had "Aladdin + Genie", Aladdin but no Jasmine, we had "Buzz + Alien", Buzz but no Woody, we had Stitch without Lilo, etc. With all of this, some of us thought "if series 2 comes, some of couple will be gathered", Jasmine, Woody, Lilo, maybe Aurora, Wendy, Eric... With the Toy Story sets and Woody, it changes that kind of thinking, so I used the "replace" term.

The idea that there were ‘missing’ characters that would be included in series 2 was always just a theory (and a tenuous one at that). The Toy Story 4 sets aren’t evidence that Woody has been ‘replaced’ - it’s more like a nail in the coffin of that line of speculation. 

Have any of you disney castle owners grown tired of it? I don't know whether to get it or wait for this year's reveal.

Edited by Otherworld

Never, Its on display where I can see it all the time, and I still spend some time admiring it now and then.

6 hours ago, Otherworld said:

Have any of you disney castle owners grown tired of it? I don't know whether to get it or wait for this year's reveal.

Um. No. I still love it. And, one day, when I'm rich and have plenty of time to spare, it will be the centrepiece of a theme park display (along with all of the Creator Expert fairground builds).

Doesn’t pegleg Pete wear hats like the one Mickey has in the steamboat Willie set? Maybe we’ll get him in the upcoming cmf series?

3 hours ago, Borex said:

Doesn’t pegleg Pete wear hats like the one Mickey has in the steamboat Willie set? Maybe we’ll get him in the upcoming cmf series?

Honestly i don't think so. I see no reason why Lego would do that. Lego never cared about completion for collectors. Skinner (Simpsons) Eowyn, Witchking of Angmar, Faramir (Lotr) Thrain and Thror (Hobbit) are just some examples. I could go on and on with missing characters from Harry Potter and Star wars, too. None of them would have been a big deal to include. Steamboat Wille Pete has a very different face than the modern version, which is more popular for most people. A special mould exklusive to this one version of Pete (Not reusable for many Outfits like Mickeys or Donalds, which were even usabale for Daisy and Minnie) seemes like a "wasted" mould in the series. 

I guess after seeing Mickey and Minie from the Ideasset we can now asume  Donald, Daisy, Mickey and Minnie wont reappear with midsized legs. Looking at the toy story 4 sets we can also say a comeback of woodys long legs and arms is highly unlikely for Goofy (if he is even included) ... That makes the whole series much less interesting to me.

After Hades beeing leaked i guess we can say Hercules is a save bet. What so you guys think? Does that mean a new sword mould (there can't be enough swords?).

Edited by Gorilla94

3 hours ago, Gorilla94 said:

After Hades beeing leaked i guess we can say Hercules is a save bet. What so you guys think? Does that mean a new sword mould (there can't be enough swords?).

Hades probably has more in common with Captain Hook than Malificent, so I’d say Hercules is a pretty sure bet. 

If I remember correctly though, were there actually any new accessory pieces in series one? I think most of the mold budget from that series went into hair. 

Plus, Hercules’ sword is fairly similar to the standard sword mold, only really has some differences around the hilt. If the very questionable way they handled sword choice in The Disney Princesses Mulan set is any indication, Lego isn’t fussy about making sure characters’ swords are super accurate. 

I think there’s a good chance we’ll get the round shield with a new print, and who knows, maybe they’ve adjusted the budget so we’ll get some new accessories this time (fingers crossed) - we should know for sure in just about a week. 

Edited by Accio Lego

Sword? Nah...

They didn't make a scepter for Maleficent

They are already need a lot new pieces for the hair elements or even molded heads. I dont they can include a lot of new accesories

3 hours ago, Gorilla94 said:

Honestly i don't think so. I see no reason why Lego would do that. Lego never cared about completion for collectors. Skinner (Simpsons) Eowyn, Witchking of Angmar, Faramir (Lotr) Thrain and Thror (Hobbit) are just some examples. I could go on and on with missing characters from Harry Potter and Star wars, too. None of them would have been a big deal to include. Steamboat Wille Pete has a very different face than the modern version, which is more popular for most people. A special mould exklusive to this one version of Pete (Not reusable for many Outfits like Mickeys or Donalds, which were even usabale for Daisy and Minnie) seemes like a "wasted" mould in the series. 

I guess after seeing Mickey and Minie from the Ideasset we can now asume  Donald, Daisy, Mickey and Minnie wont reappear with midsized legs. Looking at the toy story 4 sets we can also say a comeback of woodys long legs and arms is highly unlikely for Goofy (if he is even included) ... That makes the whole series much less interesting to me.

I think Hercules is almost a guarantee with Hades. I don’t think Hades is a strong enough villian to be a stand-alone and not have a partner. Maleficent was a much more popular villian to be by herself.

My longshot prediction is that we get a 22 minifigure series with 2-3 Mickey variations (every other Mickey line this year has had at least 2-3 variations, Disney may be throwing its power around to get this with series 2 as well) I did see someone say it was stated to only be 18, but I never knew it that was ever confirmed?

A few of my somewhat realistic wishes for this series are: sorcerer mickey, cruella, jafar & jasmine, classic bo peep, Pinocchio & Jiminy Cricket, Quasimodo & Esmerelda, queen of hearts, Pooh and Christopher Robin, Merida, Robin Hood, Mowgli & Baloo and bipedal Pluto (it would go perfect with the D2C castle and based on the bipedal Cheshire Cat from series 1 I don’t think it’s a stretch) to name a few:grin:

Guarantees/Likely guarantees: Hades, herc, goofy, Mickey & Minnie  

If there are a few of those sprinkled in I’ll be satisfied. Curious to see if they load this series with CMF princesses or hold their ground with only offering them as minidolls in sets:shrug_confused:

34 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

Sword? Nah...

They didn't make a scepter for Maleficent

They are already need a lot new pieces for the hair elements or even molded heads. I dont they can include a lot of new accesories

Yeah, when I look back at series 1 they really were lacking accessories. I remember being disappointed back then but didn’t realize just how few there were

Edited by DisneyLego

8 hours ago, Borex said:

You might be up to something. It's the only other use they have for that piece. Although Pete looks way different from his modern look. But I could see them giving him a modern head mold with the willie clothes  (which would work since that's also the version of epic Mickey and Mickey Mouse shorts, compared to the less desirable Mickey mouse clubhouse look)

Btw now that I think of it, it would also be the perfect way to get a colourised steamboat Willie Mickey. Just give him pete's hat and the old cmf mickey legs. I'm down for it. Only thing missing would be colourised steamboat Willie minnie.

Edited by Huigberts Builds

Honestly I think that is answer

Image result for steamboat willie pete

But that would imply some things: they have said the CMFs are designed a year in advance. But the project was just recently approved 

So, that means they included Pete in the CMF before knowing about then Ideas sets, which would be the coincidence of the year

Honestly, I think another big problem with doing Pete in a cmf is the size difference. Compared to Mickey he really needs to be a big fig, and I just can’t see that happening :/

I think they knew they'd be making the Steamboat Willie set long before they announced it. Certainly it seems suspicious, but if I recall right, Mickey and Minnie both leaked a couple of months before the official announcement, when the set was in the review stage

But size doesnt matter that much in LEGO minifigures 

Look at Ursula/Ariel

or Alice/Cheshire Cat

It's about the same thing, especially Ariel/Ursula

Related imageImage result for mickey mouse pete

If they make Jiminy Cricket or Beast, they would be regular minifigure size

51 minutes ago, Duncan Young said:

I think they knew they'd be making the Steamboat Willie set long before they announced it. Certainly it seems suspicious, but if I recall right, Mickey and Minnie both leaked a couple of months before the official announcement, when the set was in the review stage

The normal rate at which from approval to in store is generally 9ish months, some cases longer (I think it was Volton, could be wrong but one of them was over a year).  A normal development pipeline for product is 12-18 months.  The ideas rate goes faster because already having a target in mind done in LEGO that is submitted, so its 6-9 months, and yet we got leaks for this before review stage officially signed off on it? Even with an existing Disney partner ship in place to talk Disney into agreeing to do a Steamboat Willie set will take time.  Yeah... it was already coming regardless of the ideas.  More than likely to avoid the huge backlash from the community from Ghostbusters a few years ago, I'm guessing (guess, not certain but makes sense) they decided it wasn't worth the bad PR.  Just swallow the 1% profit the creator will make and hand it over; it's not worth the ~25k-35k.   So many people were outraged at what make them look like they used ideas to essentially steal.  Same thing would of happened this time with Steamboat Willie.

Edited by dvt

5 hours ago, dvt said:

The normal rate at which from approval to in store is generally 9ish months, some cases longer (I think it was Volton, could be wrong but one of them was over a year).  A normal development pipeline for product is 12-18 months.  The ideas rate goes faster because already having a target in mind done in LEGO that is submitted, so its 6-9 months, and yet we got leaks for this before review stage officially signed off on it? Even with an existing Disney partner ship in place to talk Disney into agreeing to do a Steamboat Willie set will take time.  Yeah... it was already coming regardless of the ideas.  More than likely to avoid the huge backlash from the community from Ghostbusters a few years ago, I'm guessing (guess, not certain but makes sense) they decided it wasn't worth the bad PR.  Just swallow the 1% profit the creator will make and hand it over; it's not worth the ~25k-35k.   So many people were outraged at what make them look like they used ideas to essentially steal.  Same thing would of happened this time with Steamboat Willie.

No need to be so cynical, there are loads of ideas submissions that reach the 10k point months before the next review deadline, and then the review takes several months. If someone at Lego decided to start talks with Disney as soon as the Steamboat Willie submission reached the 10k goal, I could see them having the set ready by now. 

3 hours ago, Accio Lego said:

No need to be so cynical, there are loads of ideas submissions that reach the 10k point months before the next review deadline, and then the review takes several months. If someone at Lego decided to start talks with Disney as soon as the Steamboat Willie submission reached the 10k goal, I could see them having the set ready by now. 

I think I'm being the opposite of cynical.  LEGO still giving the ideas credit for a set instead of having bad PR similar to what happened with the Firehouse is just evolution of policy within a business and the right move on their part. I remember this community (eurobricks) as well as brickpicker and reddit pissed off and calling LEGO straight up a thief for "stealing" the Ghostbuster Firehouse after the ideas got rejected even after they TLG responded that they had one in the works.  Policy more than likely was updated in the event that something similar happen again.  It's just called business adapting and realizing that public persona aka "brand" is important.  Has nothing to do with cynical, has to do with realizing how evolution in companies work and guess what I would do in their shoes.  Do I work for LEGO and was I in the room for the conversations? No.  But not once in LEGO IDEAS' history has a set been approved status and hit the shelves 6 weeks later.  Could be wrong as to the "why" but data from the past paints a different picture that something in this process with this particular set was on a faster track than every single submission prior to this.  

5 minutes ago, dvt said:

But not once in LEGO IDEAS' history has a set been approved status and hit the shelves 6 weeks later.  Could be wrong as to the "why" but data from the past paints a different picture that something in this process with this particular set was on a faster track than every single submission prior to this

Ok, yeah, it is super weird that we were actually get minifigure leaks before the review results were even announced. And wasn’t it the 90th anniversary of Mickey last year? It’s weird that Lego didn’t do a set for that, unless they realized that an Ideas set would be coming up for review at almost the same time. 

That being said - I don’t think it was so much ‘we were already developing this set and just slapped the Ideas logo on it’ as it was ‘we already wanted to make a set like this,  so when we saw this one was going to get the 10k it needed we just skipped the rest of the review process and fast tracked it’

My first thought was "I love them".

My second thought was "Maybe I don't have to spend the money on the Steamboat Willie set now". ;)

Neat, I love Hercules and Hades. Though I have no interest in the 'mascot' characters that just mean I have less to hunt for :P, steamboat willie repeats isn't great but it's good for people who want the figs, I mean a Mickey was inevitable so I don't really mind that they take up space as it would've just been another mickey version anyway. No Lilo is disappointing though.

Edited by Agent Kallus

LEGO Jack Skellington has been on my wishlist since Disney series one; I'm so glad we finally get him! (pity about the lack of long Woody-style limbs, but I can live with it)

Glad to see Frozone and a proper Edna, as well!

I echo @mscott71; with these versions of Mickey and Minnie as CMFs I can feel a little bit better about not being able to afford Steamboat Willie.

These figures are all really good; my only complaint is a continued lack of Goofy.