Robert8

LEGO Disney Minifigures & D2Cs - Rumors and Discussion

Which Disney Series do you like better?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Best Disney Series so far?

Looking at the steamboat wille again,I would bet that the hat will be reused not on goofy but Mickey Mouse club Mickey. IF the top piece is removal on the hat then all they need to do is make a second mold to complete it. Or they can even just print on the details needed.

51 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

I think Pluto could be the exclusive mould for the second D2C

I dont really see them releasing a bipedal Pluto minifigure

That would make sense if they’re going with another castle, a train or Main Street but not the haunted mansion (these are just some of the ideas I’ve seen around the D2C) 

The reason I could see Pluto being bipedal is because of how they went with a bipedal Cheshire Cat in the first set who is thought of even less as being bipedal

Hamm is near me, groaning in fear of what this will cost. Meanwhile, Rex is probably thinking that hopefully they aren't dinosaurs. (Toy Story is my favorite movie, so I have replicas, plush, and of course the LEGO, and Disney is my main theme...

EDIT: I hope neither are an Up house, or Casey Jr....Kind of.

Edited by Modeltrainman

47 minutes ago, Modeltrainman said:

Wait. TWO? I thought just the one with the Minifigs.

I think you're a little confused. As far as we know, there's only one Disney D2C set coming this year. It's the second because of the Disney Castle from 2016.

@BigGuy4U I think I am, too. What Robert says has me confused.  As far as I know, there's Steamboat Willie, and one D2C, but Robert says the 'second D2C', so I am extremely lost.Not that I know anything, beyond Steamboat Willie is confirmed, and Toy Story 4 is coming.

Edited by Modeltrainman

45 minutes ago, Modeltrainman said:

@BigGuy4U I think I am, too. What Robert says has me confused.  As far as I know, there's Steamboat Willie, and one D2C, but Robert says the 'second D2C', so I am extremely lost.Not that I know anything, beyond Steamboat Willie is confirmed, and Toy Story 4 is coming.

Yeah, those are the only known sets. "Second D2C" refers to the one coming out this year. The only other Disney D2C set is the 2016 Disney Castle.

Just saw a new LEGO ad detailing the set and minifigs more than the original ad as well as some new pics and while the ad looks like the top of the hat is identical to Goofy’s, the new pics make it seem as though it couldn’t pass as Goofy’s :look:

Edited by DisneyLego

Yeah, I don't think that hat would pass for Goofy's. The question now is, who could it be used for, since we know it'll most likely pop up again in the CMF?

24 minutes ago, BigGuy4U said:

Yeah, I don't think that hat would pass for Goofy's. The question now is, who could it be used for, since we know it'll most likely pop up again in the CMF?

Yeah I’m still holding out some hope after seeing some more leaked pics a few minutes ago.

the groove on the top of the steamboat hat is all but identical to the top of Goofy’s hat...

could it be that steamboat hat is actually a 2 part mold with the grey/silver top part being 1 part and the white base being the second part.

Goofys hat could take a 2 part approach for the hat as well. The silver portion of the new steamboat mold could be made green and the white piece could be replaced with a green cup like piece (repurposed)??

i just think the top of that hat is way too similar to the shape of the top of Goofy’s 

Edited by DisneyLego

12 minutes ago, DisneyLego said:

Yeah I’m still holding out some hope after seeing some more leaked pics a few minutes ago.

the groove on the top of the steamboat hat is all but identical to the top of Goofy’s hat...

could it be that steamboat hat is actually a 2 part mold with the grey/silver top part being 1 part and the white base being the second part.

Goofys hat could take a 2 part approach for the hat as well. The silver portion of the new steamboat mold could be made green and the white piece could be replaced with a green cup like piece (repurposed)??

i just think the top of that hat is way too similar to the shape of the top of Goofy’s 

Nah I don't think so, it would be a waste of a mold if it was. Either they made another exception to the rule or we get a coloured version in the cmf series.

29 minutes ago, Huigberts Builds said:

Nah I don't think so, it would be a waste of a mold if it was. Either they made another exception to the rule or we get a coloured version in the cmf series.

I’m starting to think it’s possible they’ve just made an exception to the rule. Disney is a pretty big IP for Lego, and the fact that we were seeing minifigure leaks for the set before the review results were even announced is unusual in itself. 

Now that I think about it, it’s doubtful that Disney would allow the set to be made without screen accurate versions of the characters, so Lego really HAD to make the new hats. 

When it was just Minnie’s hat I could see a color version popping up in the cmf, but the Steamboat captain hat makes it look like the question isn’t really ‘did they make this so they could use it in both?’ But rather ‘are they going to bend over backwards to use this in the cmf so they can claim the aren’t breaking the rules for ideas?’

Now we've seen Toy Story sets in the A+ theme, do you think that Woody still deserves a place in the series 2 Disney ? I mean, he's already in the sets with regular outfit, how could he be in the series 2 with the same outfit ?

Is it too unreasonable to think Sora from Kingdom Hearts could have a minifigure in the series. Or is too unlikely considering he is a Disney/Square Enix character? I’d like to just have him represented in minifigure form.

I didn't follow the last conversation about Kingdom Hearts, but reading the last answer, I think how great Donald and Dingo* could be in Disney series 9 in 2040.

*I mean Goofy. Dingo is Goofy's name in France. I didn't mean a confusion about Dingo, a Gargoyles' character, another Disney Production, plus I would love Gargoyles minifigs.

Edited by notpennysboat

6 minutes ago, notpennysboat said:

Now we've seen Toy Story sets in the A+ theme, do you think that Woody still deserves a place in the series 2 Disney ? I mean, he's already in the sets with regular outfit, how could he be in the series 2 with the same outfit ?

Not really. All they could do to improve Woody at this point would be to add arm printing, but since the Toy Story sets would be on shelves when the CMF comes out, it would be a waste of a spot. I wouldn't mind seeing a new Zurg or Stinky Pete though.

58 minutes ago, Huigberts Builds said:

Yeah, I guess it’s a stretch. Starting to think there’s going to be an exception made since I can’t see any other possible uses for the hat

17 minutes ago, Accio Lego said:

I’m starting to think it’s possible they’ve just made an exception to the rule. Disney is a pretty big IP for Lego, and the fact that we were seeing minifigure leaks for the set before the review results were even announced is unusual in itself. 

Now that I think about it, it’s doubtful that Disney would allow the set to be made without screen accurate versions of the characters, so Lego really HAD to make the new hats. 

When it was just Minnie’s hat I could see a color version popping up in the cmf, but the Steamboat captain hat makes it look like the question isn’t really ‘did they make this so they could use it in both?’ But rather ‘are they going to bend over backwards to use this in the cmf so they can claim the aren’t breaking the rules for ideas?’

That is a really great point

14 minutes ago, notpennysboat said:

I would be disappointed if they throw in Woody in series 2. 

10 minutes ago, BigGuy4U said:

Not really. All they could do to improve Woody at this point would be to add arm printing, but since the Toy Story sets would be on shelves when the CMF comes out, it would be a waste of a spot. I wouldn't mind seeing a new Zurg or Stinky Pete though.

Classic Bo Peep would be a cool piece too. 

20 minutes ago, BigGuy4U said:

Thank you, you answering to another question I was wondering, which is by which character could he be replaced ? Does it have to be a Toy Story character or maybe the replacement is about the Toy Story movies to another movie ? I have to say that I've been surprised about the 18 minifigs. With the 22 minifigs for WW series and the news about Disney series 2, I was expecting more minifigs for the series 2.

Edited by notpennysboat

1 minute ago, notpennysboat said:

Thank you, you answering to another question I was wondering, which is by which character could he be replaced ? Does it have to be a Toy Story characters or maybe the replacement is about the Toy Story movies to another movie ? I have to say that I've been surprised about the 18 minifigs. With the 22 minifigs for WW series and the news about Disney series 2, I was expecting more minifigs for the series 2.

I don’t think it’s been confirmed anywhere that it’s only 18. It’s just what a lot of people believe it to be based on series 1 being 18. 

I don’t think there necessarily needs to be another toy story character especially since series 1 had a pair of toy story characters.

28 minutes ago, notpennysboat said:

Thank you, you answering to another question I was wondering, which is by which character could he be replaced ? Does it have to be a Toy Story character or maybe the replacement is about the Toy Story movies to another movie ? I have to say that I've been surprised about the 18 minifigs. With the 22 minifigs for WW series and the news about Disney series 2, I was expecting more minifigs for the series 2.

It's not like Woody's really being replaced with anyone, he's just not there. Even if he was planned to be in series 2 and that idea was scrapped, we'd never know it or who he was replaced with. I'm sure plenty of different character ideas get pitched that don't make it to the final product.

1 minute ago, notpennysboat said:

Thank you, you answering to another question I was wondering, which is by which character could he be replaced ? Do it has to be a Toy Story characters or maybe the replacement is about the Toy Story movies to another movie ? I have to say that I've been surprised about the 18 minifigs. With the 22 minifigs for WW series and the news about Disney series 2, I was expecting more minifigs for the series 2.

I was a bit surprised with they announced at Toy Fair there would be an 18 character line up as well. Back in 2016 it was the largest cmf ever, but since then we’ve had all the Lego movies with 20 slots each and the Wizarding World one has 22. 

I’m inclined to think licensing could be a part of it. There are only 2 movie franchises in the Wizarding World Series (Harry Potter and Fantastic Beasts) while there are about 8 in the first Disney cmf (and probably the second one as well), yes they’re all under the same Disney umbrella, but there’s still likely some legal differences. 

There’s also the mater of custom pieces. There were only 2 minifigures in series one that didn’t need any new molds, and those were the Toy Story pair. Plus I don’t think there was a single figure in the series that didn’t have duel molded legs or leg printing (or both) except for Ursula with her big new mold leg piece, and there were a lot of arm prints and Duel molded arms as well. Compare that to the WW cmf, which only had one arm print, several sets of plain legs, a single molded head to Disney’s 7, and plenty of old hair pieces (the most common kind of new mold in the Disney series). Combine that with higher licensing fees and the character number difference might be a matter of budget. 

As for whether or not we’ll get Toy Story characters - It’s hard to say what movies they’re going to represent this time around. It’s possible they won’t want to repeat any movies, so (with the exception of Mickey and friends) there will be an entirely different line up of properties. 

2 hours ago, BigGuy4U said:

The question now is, who could it be used for, since we know it'll most likely pop up again in the CMF?

New Elementary - LEGO® IDEAS REVIEW: 21317 STEAMBOAT WILLIE

There are two completely new moulds within this set. "What!!" I hear you cry, "but there are no new elements allowed within LEGO Ideas sets." Well, as Design Manager for the LEGO Ideas product lines Samuel Johnson explained on Twitter;

"Sometimes we have options to do things to improve our products (especially to meet the standards of our IP partners)"

So I guess what Disney want, Disney get!

1 minute ago, Digger of Bricks said:

New Elementary - LEGO® IDEAS REVIEW: 21317 STEAMBOAT WILLIE

There are two completely new moulds within this set. "What!!" I hear you cry, "but there are no new elements allowed within LEGO Ideas sets." Well, as Design Manager for the LEGO Ideas product lines Samuel Johnson explained on Twitter;

"Sometimes we have options to do things to improve our products (especially to meet the standards of our IP partners)"

So I guess what Disney want, Disney get!

Well... that settles that then :laugh_hard: 

(guess it’s open season on Mickey and Minnie variations for the cmf)