ks6349

Is there any old sets not very much priced up?

I played LEGO since 1989 and stopped a few years later.

Now I want to get back some memory. Most of my old LEGO sets are thrown away.

I've looked at the old catalog online recently. It really brings me back a lot of 

memory, when I was a small child my mum held my hand looking at LEGO 

sets while we were not rich and my dad was only a factory worker

but she still bought me a big set because she loves me.

A lot of old sets on ebay are very much priced up now. I can understand. But Is there any sets around 1988 - 1994 where they are not very much priced up that I can still buy ?

Edited by ks6349
grammtical

Ebay isn't the best place to look for old sets, as they are quite expensive there (understandable). You might want to check Bricklink instead. It has a huge catalog of sets as well as parts and people around the globe trading this stuff.

I may suggest looking for used sets. These usually are in good condition.

19 hours ago, zux said:

Ebay isn't the best place to look for old sets, as they are quite expensive there (understandable). You might want to check Bricklink instead. It has a huge catalog of sets as well as parts and people around the globe trading this stuff.

I may suggest looking for used sets. These usually are in good condition.

what if I get a lot of missing pieces?  who can prove and how can I ask for help in that case

On Bricklink if the set is listed as 'complete' it will most likely be the case, much less risk than on ebay, I would say.

Like on ebay there are evaluations for sellers, so you can see what comments others left to them.

Well, it is up to seller to check if the contents are correct. If not - just let seller know and he will find a way to resolve the issue. Had similar case with one of my first purchases over Bricklink and seller shipped missing pieces quickly. Just keep in mind most of the sellers are somehow related to LEGO hobby so they will be able to sort this kind of issues effectively (I've heard stories where seller didn't ship something and had bought missing items from another seller to get missing item shipped to original buyer).

Simply reading descriptions and status of the item you are looking to purchase is the best way to understand what you are buying. Sometimes seller can even  provide pictures for more expensive items if you ask. Just make sure not o buy expensive items (or for a price that looks to be too good to be true) from seller with very small feedback.

On 11/1/2018 at 12:48 PM, zux said:

Ebay isn't the best place to look for old sets, as they are quite expensive there (understandable). You might want to check Bricklink instead.

For me, it is quite the opposite. No matter if used or MISB, ebay is always much cheaper than Bricklink.

Of course, availability at Bricklink is better at eBay.

Hi @ks6349,

How about an update on what you've purchased to ignite those old memories again?

I'd like to hear about it, cheers.

Edited by leafan

Something to keep in mind is that when you account for currency inflation, sometimes the aftermarket prices on old sets aren’t as outrageous as they seem at a glance. For instance, BrickLink has a complete used copy of https://brickset.com/sets/6081-1/King-s-Mountain-Fortress (sans instructions and box) for $120. While that seems like a lot compared to the original sticker price of $58, $1 USD in 1990 was worth over 91% more than $1 USD today, so $58 back then is equivalent to $111.20 in today’s money. A $9 surcharge on a 28-year-old set doesn’t seem nearly so bad!

On a side note, this is part of why a lot of the conventional wisdom about LEGO accruing in value doesn’t hold as true for older sets like these as for newer ones.

8 hours ago, leafan said:

Hi @ks6349,

How about an update on what you've purchased to ignite those old memories again?

I'd like to hear about it, cheers.

Recently bought

31026 31036 31052 31068 31077 31079 31083. 

still Thinking to purchase Pet shop or not, or assembly square, either one of them because of budget. I like assembly square more but Pet shop may be the last chance to buy before it retires totoally

Wow you must have spent quite a lot of money of those sets already, but you've made some good choices to start your own town.

Assembly Square would be my choice over the Pet Shop, but both are beautiful sets.

2 hours ago, leafan said:

Wow you must have spent quite a lot of money of those sets already, but you've made some good choices to start your own town.

Assembly Square would be my choice over the Pet Shop, but both are beautiful sets.

NO. Not that much. compared to that I left LEGO for more than 20 years and only come back a recent few weeks ago.

I'll pick Pet shop first, before it goes away entirely, because I like pets. and later maybe next year, get assembly square

7 hours ago, ks6349 said:

NO. Not that much. compared to that I left LEGO for more than 20 years and only come back a recent few weeks ago.

I'll pick Pet shop first, before it goes away entirely, because I like pets. and later maybe next year, get assembly square

Maybe you could post a picture of your town once you have it all set up? I'd like to see that and I'm sure others would too!

6 hours ago, leafan said:

Maybe you could post a picture of your town once you have it all set up? I'd like to see that and I'm sure others would too!

No town could be made with lego starting with number 310XX

The best of the 310XX series is 31026 it's a mini version of building while 

most of other 310XX series only have less than 1000 pieces it's hard to

build anything look good.  31077 was a regret and bad purchase. It just,

doesn't look good. 31026 was the best purchase. Two buildings that make 

sense because of the consideration of "going to upper floor" while some

other may not have that consideration

Oh . I almost forgot, 31065 ,is another nice set!

Edited by ks6349