Sign in to follow this  
pagicence

[MOC] My OcTRAINber 2018 digital entries

Nice work with all three. The ALCO is something I hadn't read about and looks interesting. The Schnabel car works great in Technic.

Great job and rendering.  Was "Go big or go home" the plan?  The technic liftarms work well for the Schnabel car.

Thanks all!

5 hours ago, dr_spock said:

Was "Go big or go home" the plan?

Yes and no. Comparing the EMD DD35A, EMD DDA40X and ALCO C855; 40 is just the bigger evolution of 35, but 855 is actually the smallest and built by different company. I've already built 35 so now I decided for 40 in 6 studs. But those are not functional on curved Lego track and not playable. 855 is 8 studs, functional, playable, and I wanted more room inside for the battery and engines.

As for the CCRX 40010, it's certainly not the biggest. Biggest one being WECX 801 (36 axles), and it's awesome, but I've already built it (link to EB topic).

8 hours ago, pagicence said:

attracted my attention because of the unusual axle configuration and color.

pagicence,

Excellent renditions of both locomotives. Also that is an interesting approach to the construction of one of those special use heavy carriers.

With the EMD DD35A and The ALCO C855, all that is left is the GE U50 to round out the trio! But going back to your ALCO C855, with not too much work, you could whip up a C856, the cab-less "B" or booster unit. Two A units and a single B unit would give you the 16,500 HP (12,303 kW) triple combination answer from ALCO to Union Pacific Railroad's inquiry. Note that is 1,500 HP (1118.55 kW) more than the competition.

Side note: we use the word trucks in place of bogies here in the states, so it would be truck frames that you were looking for.

3D LEGO

Very impressive builds in terms of size and details. 

I have a question about Union Pacific ALCO C855. You've mentioned it can handle LEGO curved tracks. Looking at your bogies it makes me think you have 4 turning/attachment points between bogies and the body. Taking this into consideration and the length of the body I think there could be a problem going over the curves due to body overhang. Have you test-built the prototype with real bricks?

On 10/29/2018 at 11:59 PM, 3D LEGO said:

Side note: we use the word trucks in place of bogies here in the states, so it would be truck frames that you were looking or.

Thanks for this.

On 11/1/2018 at 3:52 PM, zux said:

Have you test-built the prototype with real bricks?

It hasn't been tested, also there are 6 pivot points in total. The buffers are attached to end bogies (but on real loco they are attached to the "connecting rod"), bogies are connected with "connecting rod", so those are 2 turning points, and the locomotive is attached with 1 turning point on the center of the "connecting rod". It's the same principal as on the Schnabel car.

640x346.jpg

Edited by pagicence

Thanks for explaining. It wasn't immediately obvious from your initial pictures, but now that you've explained it I can see this is going to be fine. Looking forward seeing you built it with real bricks!

zux,

The connecting rod that he was referring to is called a span bolster. It appears from time to time in various locomotive and heavily transport freight cars. But it is also found in over the road special transport vehicles. The bogies/trucks connect to the span bolster and can pivot. The span bolster in turns connects to the frame and can pivot. This whole setup spreads the weight and allows for some degree of lateral movement of the bogies/trucks.

Some locomotives that made use of span bolsters were:

Baldwin "Jawn Henry" (N&W), GE EL-2B (Virginian Railway), GE GTEL prototype and 1st and 2nd gen. (UPRR), ALCO C855 (UPRR), GE U50 (UPRR), GE BB40-9W (EFVM), etc.

This is what the ALCO C855 configuration looks like per the various wheel arrangement standards.

Whyte: 4-4-4-4

AAR: B+B-B+B

UIC: (Bo′Bo′)(Bo′Bo′)

3D LEGO

PS: pagicence, I was just going to ask you wither or not you designed it with one.