Roadmonkeytj

Powered truck via M motor.

Ok so I reach out once again.   As I'm designing a Switcher for the switching layout.   I won't have much time between the parts order and the show.   I'm looking for a two wheel truck that is powered via an M motor...  Could be remotely mounted.  But it has to be great through switches as this lil guy will be all day through switches.   Do any of you have a tried and tested good through switches powered design you would be willing to share?  My plan is to have two pivoting trucks with two wheels each. 

13 minutes ago, supertruper1988 said:

Any reason to not use the LEGO Train motor?

Other than looks....  No lol 

How wide is your engine? anything that isnt that LEGO motor will need a side detail of some kind that will push you over the normal 6 studs and at that point, you may as well use the LEGO motor and build a custom side detail. Just my 2 cents anyways. 

I'm keeping to the standard "legoesk" look even though all rolling stock, switcher and switch tower are moc's.  7w is the max I want to go  ... I will try to grab a snapshot of what I have so far tomorrow 

Here's a simple design for an M-motor truck:

powered_swiveling_truck.png

(red pieces attach to the frame)

powered_swiveling_truck_cutaway.png

This one isn't any shorter than the train motor, mind you, but you'll get a lower speed and much better pulling power at those low speeds.

45 minutes ago, jtlan said:

This one isn't any shorter than the train motor, mind you, but you'll get a lower speed and much better pulling power at those low speeds.

Thank you  shorter isn't an issue ... Have you run this through switches with luck?  I like the lower speed.  

This setup runs fine through switches. Torque is wonderful with this motor. I have this in a small shunter and as long as it is build strong it can tow a lot of wagons though any layout. I personally run standard lego layouts, so no wide curves or anything and it runs fine.

The one problem with that M-motor truck design is that the motor will torque the truck to one side. You will probably want to set the gearing so that the motor torques to the left when running forward (the right rail has a slight indent at the joints that these motors can climb when they torque to the right). The problem is more pronounced on 9v rail, but I think it is also there on PF track. If you operate where the impact of a derailment is small (e.g., on the floor) then probably not even worth worrying about. It is only when a table dive is at risk that you have to worry.

:sceptic: Never heard this before. I have to say I do not drive a lot with pf, but that the motor is making the bogey tilt to one side is kind of interesting. Do you have this at all speeds or only at low speed.

19 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

The one problem with that M-motor truck design is that the motor will torque the truck to one side. You will probably want to set the gearing so that the motor torques to the left when running forward (the right rail has a slight indent at the joints that these motors can climb when they torque to the right). The problem is more pronounced on 9v rail, but I think it is also there on PF track. If you operate where the impact of a derailment is small (e.g., on the floor) then probably not even worth worrying about. It is only when a table dive is at risk that you have to worry.

Here is the rough track plan...  It has a L and  R switch (PF/RC track)  the front switch will be on the front edge of the table the decoupling will be done mechanically with levers 6 studs wide from the edge of the track (whole track sits 1 stud elevated to make room for axle- if this design works at the show I will "grade" the tracks with ballast for next year's show.) So would one side be preferable to the other in this case? 

15 hours ago, aawsum said:

:sceptic: Never heard this before. I have to say I do not drive a lot with pf, but that the motor is making the bogey tilt to one side is kind of interesting. Do you have this at all speeds or only at low speed.

I had heard of them derailing through switches that's why I was asking for tried and true designs (I personally have never built a powered truck this way but everything has to be contained in a switcher not the consist so...) 

On 11/3/2018 at 9:45 PM, Roadmonkeytj said:

Here is the rough track plan...  It has a L and  R switch (PF/RC track)  the front switch will be on the front edge of the table the decoupling will be done mechanically with levers 6 studs wide from the edge of the track (whole track sits 1 stud elevated to make room for axle- if this design works at the show I will "grade" the tracks with ballast for next year's show.) So would one side be preferable to the other in this case? 

I had heard of them derailing through switches that's why I was asking for tried and true designs (I personally have never built a powered truck this way but everything has to be contained in a switcher not the consist so...) 

Here's an old old post that I made about the issue...