Sign in to follow this  
ProvenceTristram

[MOC] Darjeeling Class-B 0-4-0 Narrow Gauge Loco

Alright, I decided to completely recommission this thread. I originally posted it as a color survey, and then, while looking at the photos, realized that I was totally unsatisfied with my work. This was - back in the day - my first steam locomotive MOC in Lego, and I recently decided to revisit and touch it up. However, I eventually concluded that the entire thing needed to be rebuilt a stud wider, and 1-2 (depending on location) plates higher. I am *much* more satisfied with the final product (although I do wish that the running gear could be functional. Unfortunately, in minifig scale, using wheels this small, I'm pretty convinced that there is no way to make that work).

Proto (note, I used my own color scheme because, hey, it's paint):

8jHehQQ.jpg

Ire2N8B.jpg

OSAUB2H.jpg

iqU5tj7.jpg

Model:

xVkm42R.png

iVnn5CG.png

yJS7k4V.png

BiDCYQI.png

YoOHhoo.png

ktzSG3U.png

uSJWtBo.png

Edited by ProvenceTristram

I say yellow looks best, personally. I can't quite put my finger on why, but it just looks better than the others.

You should go with what you like the best, afterall you should be the one to enjoy your build :)

Nice design! While you might not be able to power the engine, there's more than enough room in one of the coaches. You can check out the Monorail CRS thread for power ideas. All of them are powered with wheels less than two studs apart. 

rAOa9aC.png

I dunno. Maybe red is a better color. It certainly makes the gold pop a lot more.

I originally was dead-set on blue, but I've now had two people (my fiance and my mother) tell me that the blue looked too much like Thomas the Tank Engine, which (even though I know the designs are radically different, to the average non-railfan, I can see the connection) frankly I would like to avoid.

Most people who don’t know much about steam railways will equate any small blue engine with Thomas. There doesn’t seem to be any way to avoid this connection. But then it shouldn’t necessarily sway your decision one way or another. You can tell what it should be, and even if people less well versed in railways mistake your engine for some other, you can still take great satisfaction from knowing that you built a good model.

I’ll come down and say that if you want it to be prototypically correct it should really be blue. But I do agree with @pirzyk in that this is YOUR model and you can build it in any colour YOU like. 

6 minutes ago, Hod Carrier said:

Most people who don’t know much about steam railways will equate any small blue engine with Thomas. There doesn’t seem to be any way to avoid this connection. But then it shouldn’t necessarily sway your decision one way or another. You can tell what it should be, and even if people less well versed in railways mistake your engine for some other, you can still take great satisfaction from knowing that you built a good model.

I’ll come down and say that if you want it to be prototypically correct it should really be blue. But I do agree with @pirzyk in that this is YOUR model and you can build it in any colour YOU like. 

Yeah, I just don't know if I want the loco to be a Darjeeling Class-B, or just a member of the type. Certainly, a lot of people who have built live steam versions of this engine have utilized green and red, which to my knowledge aren't prototypical, either.

darjagn973a.jpg

Darjeeling-in-seven-and-a-half-inch-scal

Here's a weird size comparison. Strictly speaking, both of these engines run on the same track, and are to scale with one another.

wuyLOyk.png