Sign in to follow this  
soccerkid6

Gardar's Cloth Goods

I came up with the basic idea for this wall technique, and figured I should make a full building to see if it worked. Various builders like Simon NH, ~Cab~, and Marcel V.  have used similar wall techniques before, though my execution is slightly different than theirs. The cobblestone street also uses an idea that has been implemented many times before – free floating pieces. There is a tutorial available on the wall and one for the cobblestone technique for this build will be posted in the future. It was fun to make another highly detailed building with full interior.

Gardar has a fine cloth shop in Harburg, and supplies Lord Karsten with any fabrics needed for use at the castle. Today Eryl and Elise are paying for another order of textiles, and they enjoy chatting with the old merchant.

overview.jpg

"And father would like three more rolls of red wool for his troops' uniforms," Eryl stated as Elise looked around at the various fabrics on display.
Sometimes Eryl was annoyed by being required to run errands for his parents, but a visit to Gardar's shop always meant fun as the old merchant was a kind man who well remembered what it was like being a young boy.

back.jpg

Gardar replied with a cheerful smile that was all but invisible under his thick beard, "Certainly Eryl! Are you sure he doesn't want some extra cloth to make a proper uniform for you though?"

kids.jpg

"Maybe another time Gardar, Father says I'll beginning proper weapons training before long! But for today we just need those three rolls"

"Well, I'm sure you'll be getting plenty of fine uniforms then. Just don't be too hard on your instructors, they're not as young as you are."

Eryl laughed and said, "I'll try not to beat them up too bad," as he shared a conspiratorial wink with the merchant while giving him two coins as payment for the goods..

coins.jpg

More pictures

r-low.jpg

fire.jpg

bed.jpg

See all the details on Brickbuilt.

Thanks for looking, your feedback is always greatly appreciated :classic:

Great build! I mostly like the upper floor facade and the cobblestone. It reminds me of the game the Mousetrap. Overall nice details. 

Excellent building techniques! I have been looking for a way to build block walls for a while, and this works extremely well. The free-floating cobnlestones look great as well. Beautiful and innovative  build!

I love this wall technique!  Great cobblestone too.  And the interior looks really good, the idea of rolling up capes for bolts of cloth is pretty nifty and the grate in front of the fireplace works amazingly well for its simplicity.  Super smooth integration of the shield over the door too.

That fireplace made me stop and stare too! The wall effect  looks really good from the right distance. Up close it can look like the gaps are a little big, but the cobble path, greenery and the details of the shop itself are brilliant and draw the eye. I know I have the pieces to recreate that inkwell somewhere!

That stone technique is fantastic but looks so incredibly time-consuming! :oh3:  The interior and chimney are probably my favorite parts of the build, and I'll echo the others about that grate!

Really nice wall technique (and thanks for sharing the tutorial) and overall building aesthetic. I like how the transitions between different areas (e.g. wall to roof) are so smooth and natural looking.

The free floating base is also really well done, and I'll be interested to see if that just sits on top of tile or whether you've got some clever connections underneath.

Overall a great freebuild, well done!

whoa really part-consuming? yet it looks so neat! :wub: I'm interested in the cobblestone as I've got a WIP where I'm looking for the same effect - does free floating mean they aren't attached? it'd definitely save some time when the tearing-apart time comes! :tongue:

Amazing build! I love the simplistic-yet detailed look of the house. It feels quaint and cozy.

I love your full interiors, SK! This one is no exception. The stonework of the exterior is also great, parts intensive but very satisfying in its effect. I like you kept the rest pretty simple, nothing too fancy on the roof or the timbered section, since the focus is really on the stones. My favorite detail is the bed and the table with the pie. It gives it a more lived-in feel. As always, I look forward to seeing your next build!

Isaac, this is gorgeous inside and out. :wub:  The landscaping is sparse and sets the building apart nicely, the brick technique is masterful, and the interior is one of your best!  :thumbup:

On 10/25/2018 at 10:48 AM, dalle said:

Great build! I mostly like the upper floor facade and the cobblestone. It reminds me of the game the Mousetrap. Overall nice details. 

Thank you Dalle! I was also reminded of that game when assembling the cobblestone :laugh:

On 10/25/2018 at 10:53 AM, Rogue Angel said:

Excellent building techniques! I have been looking for a way to build block walls for a while, and this works extremely well. The free-floating cobnlestones look great as well. Beautiful and innovative  build!

Thanks Rogue! It's a bit time and parts intensive, but I'd love to see the technique used more.

On 10/25/2018 at 10:55 AM, Kai NRG said:

I love this wall technique!  Great cobblestone too.  And the interior looks really good, the idea of rolling up capes for bolts of cloth is pretty nifty and the grate in front of the fireplace works amazingly well for its simplicity.  Super smooth integration of the shield over the door too.

Thanks Kai! I was really happy with the capes as roles of cloth, so I'm glad you appreciated that setup too :sweet:

On 10/25/2018 at 11:25 AM, Muakhah said:

That fireplace made me stop and stare too! The wall effect  looks really good from the right distance. Up close it can look like the gaps are a little big, but the cobble path, greenery and the details of the shop itself are brilliant and draw the eye. I know I have the pieces to recreate that inkwell somewhere!

Thank you! If I had more patience, some of the more unsightly gaps would not be there, as sometimes I would bump stones a bit out of position and didn't bother rotating them back to where they should be.

On 10/25/2018 at 11:32 AM, Garmadon said:

That stone technique is fantastic but looks so incredibly time-consuming! :oh3:  The interior and chimney are probably my favorite parts of the build, and I'll echo the others about that grate!

Thanks Isaiah! Great to hear so many people are enjoying the interior here, I was quite happy with it :sweet:

On 10/25/2018 at 12:30 PM, Basiliscus said:

Really nice wall technique (and thanks for sharing the tutorial) and overall building aesthetic. I like how the transitions between different areas (e.g. wall to roof) are so smooth and natural looking.

The free floating base is also really well done, and I'll be interested to see if that just sits on top of tile or whether you've got some clever connections underneath.

Overall a great freebuild, well done!

Thanks Basilicus! The free floating cobblestone is indeed free floating, and not connected whatsoever.
I finished the tutorial, so you can check out the design on Brickbuilt.

On 10/25/2018 at 3:52 PM, The Last of Nergoue said:

I really enjoy the stonework technique! 

Thank you :classic:

On 10/26/2018 at 5:45 AM, en_zoo said:

whoa really part-consuming? yet it looks so neat! :wub: I'm interested in the cobblestone as I've got a WIP where I'm looking for the same effect - does free floating mean they aren't attached? it'd definitely save some time when the tearing-apart time comes! :tongue:

Yes it is rather piece intensive :laugh: Here's a link to the tutorial on the cobblestone.

On 10/28/2018 at 12:06 AM, Windusky said:

Amazing build! I love the simplistic-yet detailed look of the house. It feels quaint and cozy.

Thank you very much Windusky :classic:

On 10/29/2018 at 12:17 PM, Henjin_Quilones said:

I love your full interiors, SK! This one is no exception. The stonework of the exterior is also great, parts intensive but very satisfying in its effect. I like you kept the rest pretty simple, nothing too fancy on the roof or the timbered section, since the focus is really on the stones. My favorite detail is the bed and the table with the pie. It gives it a more lived-in feel. As always, I look forward to seeing your next build!

Thanks HQ. I thought even the stonework had a rather clean style, so I tried to maintain that consistency throughout the rest of the building - very well kept without any obvious dilapidation.

On 10/29/2018 at 1:13 PM, Servertijd said:

I think everything has been said, I just wanna let you know how awesome I think this is!

Thank you!

On 10/29/2018 at 6:29 PM, mrcp6d said:

Isaac, this is gorgeous inside and out. :wub:  The landscaping is sparse and sets the building apart nicely, the brick technique is masterful, and the interior is one of your best!  :thumbup:

Thanks Mike :blush:

Incredible build, the rock-work is obviously spot-on and it fits really well with the rest of the MOC! This is probably one of my all time favorite MOCs! Keep the amazing work up! :classic: :thumbup:

Edited by LegoModularFan

Wow! so clean and great presentation of an awesome moc!:wub: I really enjoy your different takes on civilian buidlings!

Do you have a list of different medevial proffesions? :grin:

keep em coming!

Once again, a gorgeous build.  I have no idea how you had so much patience to line up all the bricks on the wall.  That would drive me nuts!  The dormers look awesome (I actually linked your thread to someone asking about dormer windows in the general discussion forum a few days ago), and the color choices are great, as always.  The interior is pretty awesome, too.  Is it a permanent cutaway on the back or do you have a back wall and remaining part of the roof as well?  I'm impressed with the cleanliness of the tiled roof, and love the tudor style.  Great job!

Nice build overall and great stonework technique! At least at a bit of a distance it works fantastic :thumbup:

The slightly irregular cutaway works very well, imho better than a clean cut.

Hmmmm... Seems I missed this over here on EB... Anyways, very nice work! The overall shaping of the house is great, and the stonework looks fantastic! Keep it up. :)

I've been looking for a way to improve on the look of cobblestones, and I wanted to thank you for the technique.

As for everything else, what is normal for you is spectacular for me, so I have nothing more to say.

On 11/2/2018 at 12:41 PM, LegoModularFan said:

Incredible build, the rock-work is obviously spot-on and it fits really well with the rest of the MOC! This is probably one of my all time favorite MOCs! Keep the amazing work up! :classic: :thumbup:

Thank you very much! It's great to hear you enjoyed the build so much :sweet:

On 11/2/2018 at 3:33 PM, de Gothia said:

Wow! so clean and great presentation of an awesome moc!:wub: I really enjoy your different takes on civilian buidlings!

Do you have a list of different medevial proffesions? :grin:

keep em coming!

Thanks dG! As a matter of fact, there is a list of medieval professions on classic-castle that I sometimes reference. Other times I just think about the things that have been needed throughout time :classic:

On 11/4/2018 at 3:01 PM, Grover said:

Once again, a gorgeous build.  I have no idea how you had so much patience to line up all the bricks on the wall.  That would drive me nuts!  The dormers look awesome (I actually linked your thread to someone asking about dormer windows in the general discussion forum a few days ago), and the color choices are great, as always.  The interior is pretty awesome, too.  Is it a permanent cutaway on the back or do you have a back wall and remaining part of the roof as well?  I'm impressed with the cleanliness of the tiled roof, and love the tudor style.  Great job!

Thanks Grover! The cut away is permanent, I realized I would be stretching our parts collection with the chimney and front walls, and thus just left the back two walls off entirely.

On 11/13/2018 at 5:35 PM, Gideon said:

Nice build overall and great stonework technique! At least at a bit of a distance it works fantastic :thumbup:

The slightly irregular cutaway works very well, imho better than a clean cut.

Thanks Gideon! Good to hear your thoughts on the irregular cutaway style :dsweet:

On 11/13/2018 at 7:01 PM, TheLordOfBricks said:

Hmmmm... Seems I missed this over here on EB... Anyways, very nice work! The overall shaping of the house is great, and the stonework looks fantastic! Keep it up. :)

Thanks man!

On 11/14/2018 at 12:29 AM, pombe said:

I've been looking for a way to improve on the look of cobblestones, and I wanted to thank you for the technique.

As for everything else, what is normal for you is spectacular for me, so I have nothing more to say.

You are very welcome! It's wonderful to hear our tutorials are useful :sweet: