legotownlinz

Changing the polarity of Powered Up train motors

I've already written an article on how to change the polarity of PowerFunction train motors. This is a follow-up on how to do it with the new Powered Up motors.

From the outside, the old and new motors look very similar. Inside, a printed circuit board (PCB) has been added, due to the increased complexity of the Powered Up system. Fortunately, it is not necessary to understand how Powered Up works in detail, because there are still two leads that directly drive the motor. We just have to swap these leads. This is easier compared to the PowerFunctions motor because it can be done without removing the PCB or motor from the housing. Lets start.

What you need:

• Powered Up train motor
  • Soldering iron
  • Torx T6 screwdriver

Instructions:

1. Remove all four screws at the bottom of the motor and open the motor housing.
  2. Unsolder the leads labelled M1 and M2 from the PCB.
  3. Swap the leads and solder them to the PCB again.
  4. Close and screw down the housing.

Motor after opening the housing:

DSC_4580.jpg

Motor with unsoldered leads M1 and M2:

DSC_4583.jpg

Edited by legotownlinz

Neat.  It seems like it is something that can also be done in software by telling the motor driver IC to reverse the motor connected to that particular port.

12 hours ago, dr_spock said:

Neat.  It seems like it is something that can also be done in software by telling the motor driver IC to reverse the motor connected to that particular port.

Sure. Lego could add an option in their firmware.

I'll try to push my newest app version, I did work on it but lack of time. It also allows to reverse the motor and use two motors in tandem.

On 10/25/2018 at 12:54 PM, JopieK said:

I'll try to push my newest app version, I did work on it but lack of time. It also allows to reverse the motor and use two motors in tandem.

Is this powered from both ports on 1 hub or do you need to place 2 hubs and sync them to one remote?...  Or are you installing a splice and running off 1 port? 

Hmmm, good that you remember me of my promise... I'll try to post it. 1 hub, two motors to each port. But the other solutions are also good ideas although I would not recommend using one port since I don't know the max current limit the motor driver chip has on one port.