Sign in to follow this  
Muakhah

The Scarlet House of Khadira

When the wave of Nocturnan refugees crossed the border during the war against Ravaage, they brought with them new styles of clothing, food and entertainment.  They also had an influence on the new buildings of Khadira.

This business has a repaired stone lower story with a wooden and lacquer upper storey.  The Red and Black are typical Nocturnan colors for this kind of construction.

IMG_1637.jpg

This building has become a massage parlor, or so the owners claim.  With so many refugees in the city some turn to desperate sources of income.  The authorities have turned a blind eye during the wars but now that there is a High Queen upon the throne they may seek to investigate the premises.

IMG_1643_1.jpg

Masseuses try to attract potential customers from the balcony.

IMG_1641_1.jpg

A potential customer? Or merely a curious onlooker?

IMG_1644_2.jpg

This being Kaliphlin, any patch of shade quickly gets snatched up by traders and market stalls.

It remains to be seen whether businesses like this will be allowed to function, suffer regulations and inspections or simply be closed down as order reasserts itself across the land.

OOC: So you can see why I will never criticise other's photography eh? In a different country with a different half of my collection. Had a look at what could be pulled off and thought that a Nocturnan inspired business would fit in. Thought about the general situation, My pieces and what could be represented with them and thought of this "Scarlet House".

I may try photoshop in the future but I mainly want tot build and share. I will look into getting a better background than a dog diaper though...

I hope to build a few small pieces and slowly work on Khadira.

I guess for HSS this would count as Hospitality - Entertainers?

Edited by Muakhah
I screwed up the linking...

hahaha I really like the idea and the lore behind it as well as the build itself. I think you're depicting your city very well with your vignettes and small builds (did I say that before?). keep it up! ^^

Edited by en_zoo

This is a pretty good small build, I'd say. Especially if your Lego is stretched thin! I also like the story here.

Nocties that fled for the war? Cowards, treason! Just kidding, glad to see something like this! :grin::thumbup:

Good job on angling the whole house on the base! Some nice detailing with the lanterns, plants and the stand below the balcony. I also like the tan wall, nice texture, and the minifig scene is well done!

There are two things that I don't really like: the roof and the base. The sloping on the front side of the roof doesn't make sense to me, particularly the 2x2x3. For the base, I'd get rid of the 1 brick high edge, and possibly the brown tiles as well; too distracting. Other than that: good work, keep it up! :sweet:

A nice little moc for sure! Like others have said, great to see this style of buildings as well! I like the house that is placed in another direction from the base and the little wall behind the house. 

I like the roof idea, just bought those pieces for my self to have as roof! 

Nice build! I like the contained vignette feel to it. You pulled the roof off very well!

Nice work! Like the colour scheme, and the contrast between the stone lower floor and more ornate upper floor. Despite @Exetrius's comments, I actually really like the roof.

However, I do find the base a little distracting, I like the dark red bits but I think the brown tiles look out of place.

A nice addition to Kaliphlin!

20 hours ago, W Navarre said:

Cool  work, I like the blend of cultures!   Shows the diversity of Historica. 

Thanks! I think Kaliphlin and Nocturnas have the most diversity.

19 hours ago, en_zoo said:

hahaha I really like the idea and the lore behind it as well as the build itself. I think you're depicting your city very well with your vignettes and small builds (did I say that before?). keep it up! ^^

Thanks again! I think small builds are the way to go for me as I have yet to put down roots and have a dedicated work area. Everything has to go back on the top of wardrobes at the end of each lego time! I also lack a good photo spot. At least when I was in Paris the setup of the apartment and the light was a little better...

18 hours ago, mccoyed said:

This is a pretty good small build, I'd say. Especially if your Lego is stretched thin! I also like the story here.

Cheers! I am glad people like the concept. The problem is more that the lego I have here is in desperate need of organising and sorting. There is enough to build nice things its just finding it and organising it better.

17 hours ago, Exetrius said:

Nocties that fled for the war? Cowards, treason! Just kidding, glad to see something like this! :grin::thumbup:

Good job on angling the whole house on the base! Some nice detailing with the lanterns, plants and the stand below the balcony. I also like the tan wall, nice texture, and the minifig scene is well done!

There are two things that I don't really like: the roof and the base. The sloping on the front side of the roof doesn't make sense to me, particularly the 2x2x3. For the base, I'd get rid of the 1 brick high edge, and possibly the brown tiles as well; too distracting. Other than that: good work, keep it up! :sweet:

I always try and have something angled a bit, glad that the detailing helped add a bit too it too.  I know what you mean about the roof.  Unfortunately the combination of slopes and the width of the build meant that it had to be 2 wide at the base but not at the top.  It does look pretty wierd.  If I had the right bricks I would make it flat and put a gutter or decoration along the rim instead.  As for the base...I hate that shade of gray and found much better colors to use afterwards.  I agree I should have looked at reducing the hight of the "Rim" of the base.  As for the brown tiles...they were there to cover up studs that enabled the landscape to lock into the frame.  And what did I find after I posted the pictures...gray tiles which would have blended much better. :wall:

16 hours ago, de Gothia said:

A nice little moc for sure! Like others have said, great to see this style of buildings as well! I like the house that is placed in another direction from the base and the little wall behind the house. 

I like the roof idea, just bought those pieces for my self to have as roof! 

Thanks, as mentioned Kaliphlin seems to be one of the most diverse guilds for building styles.  Its just a matter of making it work.  The roof idea I simply copied from the Temple of Airjitsu set.  It works nicely though I still need to work on improving it a bit.

6 hours ago, Windusky said:

Nice build! I like the contained vignette feel to it. You pulled the roof off very well!

Thanks!  I either build the frame and think what I can build inside it or build the main draw of the vignette (in this case the house) and then work out how big the frame needs to be.  I find it helps keep it more organised in my head (because its not like my lego is organised at all!)

3 hours ago, Basiliscus said:

Nice work! Like the colour scheme, and the contrast between the stone lower floor and more ornate upper floor. Despite @Exetrius's comments, I actually really like the roof.

However, I do find the base a little distracting, I like the dark red bits but I think the brown tiles look out of place.

A nice addition to Kaliphlin!

Thanks Basilicus! I think the roof turned out ok.  A good first effort with room for improvement.  Glad you like the contrast of the floors.

If I could do the base over I would replace the hated Avalonian Gray...and yes the brown tiles draw the eye which was not the intention at all...

Thanks everyone for the comments and tips for improvement.  I would just like to say thank you to the Eurobricks/Guilds of Historica community for always been supportive and constructive of builders like myself. Thanks again!

I can tell that part of the LEGO you have with you is the Temple of Airjitsu...

I like the vignette, though I will agree with Exetrius about the base. The lip just doesn't do it for me, even if it does help it stay self-contained. The inclusion of the red lights is a nice nod to the true purpose of the establishment...

Very cool!  I like the build, and the idea of showing a brothel that crops up in the aftermath of the civil war is probably on the nose.  I'm not crazy about the base, unless it is meant to be a low stone wall blocking this property off from the rest of the city, but I think if you removed the lip it would help.  I really like the vegetation.  It's well manicured, but the color choices are great, and I love the use of the olive plant on top of the olive stalks--it really looks good.  The whole scene gives me a very oriental vibe, and this could easily fit with some of the Ninjago stuff TLG is putting out right now.  I think it's interesting that you incorporate it into Nocturnus, but it seems that the asian culture enters in small ways into many of the lands here.  I think my favorite part is the merchant stall on the side.  Well done!

11 hours ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

I can tell that part of the LEGO you have with you is the Temple of Airjitsu...

I like the vignette, though I will agree with Exetrius about the base. The lip just doesn't do it for me, even if it does help it stay self-contained. The inclusion of the red lights is a nice nod to the true purpose of the establishment...

That temple is a very good buy. I would recommend it to anyone really.  I agree with everyone that I should have found a way to reduce the lip height.  I'll make sure it isn't in future builds.

8 hours ago, Grover said:

Very cool!  I like the build, and the idea of showing a brothel that crops up in the aftermath of the civil war is probably on the nose.  I'm not crazy about the base, unless it is meant to be a low stone wall blocking this property off from the rest of the city, but I think if you removed the lip it would help.  I really like the vegetation.  It's well manicured, but the color choices are great, and I love the use of the olive plant on top of the olive stalks--it really looks good.  The whole scene gives me a very oriental vibe, and this could easily fit with some of the Ninjago stuff TLG is putting out right now.  I think it's interesting that you incorporate it into Nocturnus, but it seems that the asian culture enters in small ways into many of the lands here.  I think my favorite part is the merchant stall on the side.  Well done!

The base seems to get worse everytime I look at it.  I just wanted to build something! The asian themed stuff in Historica seems mostly to be concentrated in Eastern Kaliphlin (near to Khadira) and some parts of Nocturnas i think.  I am basing that on Exetrius' builds of Zotharith I think.  So to me it seems that that region would see the most cultural spread.  Glad you liked the merchant stall.  I will have to try and put together some larger market scenes in the future.

Thanks @Grover

Very good use of limited parts :thumbup: The house as a whole looks quite nice with the stone first level and wood second story. Nice work angling the building and adding plenty of fun touches with figs and animals too.
That monkey just likes to hang out? :laugh:

On 10/29/2018 at 8:22 AM, Muakhah said:

The asian themed stuff in Historica seems mostly to be concentrated in Eastern Kaliphlin (near to Khadira) and some parts of Nocturnas i think.  I am basing that on Exetrius' builds of Zotharith I think.  So to me it seems that that region would see the most cultural spread.  Glad you liked the merchant stall.  I will have to try and put together some larger market scenes in the future.

The only record of asian architecture in Nocturnus outside of Zotharith are the Gardens of Tranquility in the Rakath Mountains, mentioned here by @Lord Vladivus. Basically all asian stuff is to be found in the Kaliphlinian Rakath Mountains, but there's some more off the continent of Historica: Yureishima and Orien by @mccoyed and @narbilu respectively. 

Yes. I wanted to create Yureishima as a haven for the aesthetics and genre stylings of Far East Asian medieval fantasy. The launch of Book 3 has put Yureishima on hold for now, though. It's not connected to any challenges or big stories so I feel like I can sort of dip in and out of it whenever. I didn't think that the Nocturnian examples had really been fully developed in a while, so it seemed like a good idea for a "New Land" that wouldn't just mimic one of the regions of Historica.